PDA

View Full Version : Fire Dave shyiak

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

SJHovey
02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
As an outsider, I'm curious as to what level of success most UAA fans think can reasonably be achieved. Obviously everyone wants their team to win the national championship, or at least be competing for it.

It seems apparent many UAA fans believe there are some institutional barriers in place right now, whether that be broken promises regarding facilities or a failure to spend the amount of money on a program necessary (in the eyes of those fans) to help UAA be successful.

But as others have pointed out, UAA faces geographical obstacles that schools other than Alaska don't. No matter how good a building or coach you might have, those obstacles will still exist.

So acknowledging those geographical obstacles, what level of success do UAA fans have in mind as something that is reasonably achievable? Is it something similar to what Alaska has now? Maybe closer to that of a NMU or Harvard, with the infrequent, but periodic, NCAA appearance? Can UAA build a national collegiate hockey power, given the travel and recruiting handicaps created by it's location? I'm kind of curious about UAA fans' opinions on this.

seawolfpunk
02-27-2013, 11:22 AM
As an outsider, I'm curious as to what level of success most UAA fans think can reasonably be achieved. Obviously everyone wants their team to win the national championship, or at least be competing for it.

It seems apparent many UAA fans believe there are some institutional barriers in place right now, whether that be broken promises regarding facilities or a failure to spend the amount of money on a program necessary (in the eyes of those fans) to help UAA be successful.

But as others have pointed out, UAA faces geographical obstacles that schools other than Alaska don't. No matter how good a building or coach you might have, those obstacles will still exist.

So acknowledging those geographical obstacles, what level of success do UAA fans have in mind as something that is reasonably achievable? Is it something similar to what Alaska has now? Maybe closer to that of a NMU or Harvard, with the infrequent, but periodic, NCAA appearance? Can UAA build a national collegiate hockey power, given the travel and recruiting handicaps created by it's location? I'm kind of curious about UAA fans' opinions on this.

I think with the realignment starting next season, my expectations (with or without a coaching change) would be that UAA be a top 3 team in the wcha for years to come and throw in an NCAA bid every once in a while, although i'm very pessimistic about that happening with the current regime we have.

Suze
02-27-2013, 11:26 AM

I would be extremely happy just to have a winning season, and for once to get home ice for the playoffs. That would be a great start, and I can't speak for other UAA fans, but I think most would agree with that.

Suze
02-27-2013, 09:22 PM
I didn't represent them. Does the ADN "represent" them? No.

The ADN represents a newspaper, you (by virtue of your blog name) represent UAA. This is a discussion you and I have had numerous times in the past. How many times did I tell you what you wrote and the pictures you posted were offensive and a poor reflection on UAA? You disagreed. By virtue of what I (and all other UAA fans) post here, we are in a way a reflection on the team. The difference is that your USCHO handle and your blog uses the letters "UAA".

Did you provide readers, and more importantly parents, a valuable service? Most definitely. You provided fair commentary and insight about the team, and your game recaps were excellent. It was certainly better than anything Doyle Woody ever put together. It is too bad that your articles couldn't have been tempered a bit.

drcobbmustgonow
02-28-2013, 04:00 AM
He also has the best winning percentage since Brush retired.

I love it when an Outsider supports my agenda! Shyiak Good, Cobb Bad!!!!

--Dre

http://hockeytownak.blogspot.com

DD...it seems to me that The Almighty Cobb must have shared a few Cubans with you before your departure. Sorry if I'm wasting electrons, but I'm sure you can understand the passion behind the post even if you don't agree with it.

seawolfpunk
03-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Well another **** weekend, this time for pride, can't wait til the season is over, **** poor effort by the guys this weekend.

Alaskana
03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
I think my question at this point is that, (if he hasn't already decided to leave), why is he staying? Yes, I understand the whole part about needing to make a living and all, but really I don't see how Shyiak can still think he is doing any good for the UAA Seawolves hockey program. I am starting to suspect that he is just going through the motions and collecting a paycheck. At the very least he should give a press conference at the end of this lame season and either resign or lay out publicly what he plans to do to correct this situation. I've said before that I think he would probably do very well as coach or assistant coach in another venue that doesn't have such challenging logistics (hello Michigan?). At this point I think the overwhelming consensus is that either he should resign or 'the man' should make the call, thank him for his 8 years of service and replace him. Of course I know all of this hinges on the very important question of who replaces him, and it's encouraging to see at least some discussion here suggesting who that could be.

In the end though, and outside of all of the infighting I've seen here amongst UAA fans, I'm just ready for the Shyiak administration nightmare to end. If it doesn't end this year I don't think I'll be a fan again until such change does occur, and I suspect many other fans have already made that decision judging by the pathetically empty Sully. I know this is unthinkable for some fans, but the Hill years are starting to sound good at this point.

Suze
03-05-2013, 12:36 AM
I think my question at this point is that, (if he hasn't already decided to leave), why is he staying? Yes, I understand the whole part about needing to make a living and all, but really I don't see how Shyiak can still think he is doing any good for the UAA Seawolves hockey program. I am starting to suspect that he is just going through the motions and collecting a paycheck. At the very least he should give a press conference at the end of this lame season and either resign or lay out publicly what he plans to do to correct this situation. I've said before that I think he would probably do very well as coach or assistant coach in another venue that doesn't have such challenging logistics (hello Michigan?). At this point I think the overwhelming consensus is that either he should resign or 'the man' should make the call, thank him for his 8 years of service and replace him. Of course I know all of this hinges on the very important question of who replaces him, and it's encouraging to see at least some discussion here suggesting who that could be.

In the end though, and outside of all of the infighting I've seen here amongst UAA fans, I'm just ready for the Shyiak administration nightmare to end. If it doesn't end this year I don't think I'll be a fan again until such change does occur, and I suspect many other fans have already made that decision judging by the pathetically empty Sully. I know this is unthinkable for some fans, but the Hill years are starting to sound good at this point.

Agreed. Way too many fans and long time boosters are staying away until changes are made. The fact that the changes haven't been made speaks a lot about the state of the program. Let's see what the admin does at the end of the season ... and that time is almost here.

uaafanblog
03-05-2013, 07:02 AM
I doubt that any one of us would resign, so while that would be incredibly magnanimous and bold it just wouldn't be practical for anyone to do.

IF they let Shyiak go, here's some suggested text for an ad:

NCAA Division 1 Hockey program requires a proven winning coach to rescue the foundering problem. Best candidate will be energized by existing institutional and geographic problems as a challenge to be overcome and have extensive multinational contacts from which to recruit elite players to fill the roster. Resume' should include evidence of building multiple winning hockey teams at a level equal to and/or exceeding Division 1. Recompense for the right candidate will be in-line with the highest others receive at this level i.e... base salary of $300,000 plus incentives for highest possible achievements. We seek nothing less than a coach with the real potential to win a national championship.

4four4
03-05-2013, 11:25 AM
If I were the AA AD I would wait until after next season to see how he coaches compared to other like minded schools. My hunch, Shyiak keeps his job the guy can coach.

uaafanblog
03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
If I were the AA AD I would wait until after next season to see how he coaches compared to other like minded schools. My hunch, Shyiak keeps his job the guy can coach.
I've got some bones to pick with his style as coach but nothing that would make me fire him. But the truth is that a HUGE change of direction is due. Shyiak can be shown the door gracefully. Nothing wrong with him really as a coach, much of his lack of success is due to the very same reasons that other coaches haven't succeeded. I'd heard voices on my blog for at least the last 3 years wanting Shyiak gone and each and every time I defended his performance as compared to his predecessors. There is no substantive difference. Keeping him in place is easily justified by that comparison. And yes, this squad could have a pretty nice season next year. But the thing is ... players that you want and need to get to build consistent success ARE NOT coming to UAA. There are only two ways to for that to change which I can see and have expressed earlier. Both of those include Shyiak's departure. I'd rather see it without malice toward him but the time has come. The program is foundering.

uaafanblog
03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Here's UAA's Sched for next year ....

Fri, Oct 11 UAF vs. Quinnipiac at Sullivan Arena 5:07 p.m.
Fri, Oct 11 AIR FORCE Sullivan Arena 8:07 p.m.
Sat, Oct 12 UAF vs. Air Force at Sullivan Arena 4:07 p.m.
Sat, Oct 12 QUINNIPIAC Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.

BRICE ALASKA GOAL RUSH
Fri, Oct 18 Denver at Fairbanks, AK 5:05 p.m.
Sat, Oct 19 Western Michigan at Fairbanks, AK 4:05 p.m.

Fri, Nov 01 Bowling Green * at Bowling Green, Ohio 3:07 p.m.
Sat, Nov 02 Bowling Green * at Bowling Green, Ohio 3:07 p.m.
Fri, Nov 08 ALABAMA HUNTSVILLE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Nov 09 ALABAMA HUNTSVILLE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Nov 15 Bemidji State * at Bemidji, Minn. 4:07 p.m.
Sat, Nov 16 Bemidji State * at Bemidji, Minn. 4:07 p.m.
Fri, Nov 22 MICHIGAN TECH * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Nov 23 MICHIGAN TECH * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Nov 29 Minnesota State * at Mankato, Minn. 4:07 p.m.
Sat, Nov 30 Minnesota State * at Mankato, Minn. 4:07 p.m.
ALASKA AIRLINES GOVERNOR'S CUP
Fri, Dec 06 ALASKA FAIRBANKS * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Dec 07 ALASKA FAIRBANKS * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.

Fri, Dec 13 LAKE SUPERIOR STATE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Dec 14 LAKE SUPERIOR STATE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Jan 03 Wisconsin at Madison, Wis. 4:07 p.m.
Sat, Jan 04 Wisconsin at Madison, Wis. 4:07 p.m.
Fri, Jan 10 MINNESOTA STATE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Jan 11 MINNESOTA STATE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Jan 17 Alabama Huntsville * at Huntsville, Ala. 4:07 p.m.
Sat, Jan 18 Alabama Huntsville * at Huntsville, Ala. 4:07 p.m.
Fri, Jan 24 NORTHERN MICHIGAN * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Jan 25 NORTHERN MICHIGAN * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Feb 07 Lake Superior State * at Marie, Mich. 3:07 p.m.
Sat, Feb 08 Lake Superior State * at Marie, Mich. 3:07 p.m.
Fri, Feb 14 BOWLING GREEN * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Feb 15 BOWLING GREEN * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Feb 21 Ferris State * at Big Rapids, Mich. 3:07 p.m.
Sat, Feb 22 Ferris State * at Big Rapids, Mich. 3:07 p.m.
Fri, Mar 07 Alaska Fairbanks * at Fairbanks, AK 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Mar 08 Alaska Fairbanks * at Fairbanks, AK 7:07 p.m.

Suze
03-05-2013, 01:44 PM

And exactly what do you base that on? If your school were in this bind, I assure you, you would be calling for the coach's head.

His style of play is boring and it often seems to me (and other fans I've spoken to) he is out coached. Special teams are some of the WORST ever, and that's on him. Last, many of the players don't like him or respect him. They have pretty much given up. He doesn't get involved enough in the community, and that is key to recruiting local talent. Nope, he needs to go. UAA needs a fresh start.

Suze
03-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Here's UAA's Sched for next year ....

Fri, Oct 11 UAF vs. Quinnipiac at Sullivan Arena 5:07 p.m.
Fri, Oct 11 AIR FORCE Sullivan Arena 8:07 p.m.
Sat, Oct 12 UAF vs. Air Force at Sullivan Arena 4:07 p.m.
Sat, Oct 12 QUINNIPIAC Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.

BRICE ALASKA GOAL RUSH
Fri, Oct 18 Denver at Fairbanks, AK 5:05 p.m.
Sat, Oct 19 Western Michigan at Fairbanks, AK 4:05 p.m.

Fri, Nov 01 Bowling Green * at Bowling Green, Ohio 3:07 p.m.
Sat, Nov 02 Bowling Green * at Bowling Green, Ohio 3:07 p.m.
Fri, Nov 08 ALABAMA HUNTSVILLE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Nov 09 ALABAMA HUNTSVILLE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Nov 15 Bemidji State * at Bemidji, Minn. 4:07 p.m.
Sat, Nov 16 Bemidji State * at Bemidji, Minn. 4:07 p.m.
Fri, Nov 22 MICHIGAN TECH * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Nov 23 MICHIGAN TECH * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Nov 29 Minnesota State * at Mankato, Minn. 4:07 p.m.
Sat, Nov 30 Minnesota State * at Mankato, Minn. 4:07 p.m.
Fri, Dec 06 ALASKA FAIRBANKS * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Dec 07 ALASKA FAIRBANKS * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.

Fri, Dec 13 LAKE SUPERIOR STATE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Dec 14 LAKE SUPERIOR STATE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Jan 03 Wisconsin at Madison, Wis. 4:07 p.m.
Sat, Jan 04 Wisconsin at Madison, Wis. 4:07 p.m.
Fri, Jan 10 MINNESOTA STATE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Jan 11 MINNESOTA STATE * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Jan 17 Alabama Huntsville * at Huntsville, Ala. 4:07 p.m.
Sat, Jan 18 Alabama Huntsville * at Huntsville, Ala. 4:07 p.m.
Fri, Jan 24 NORTHERN MICHIGAN * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Jan 25 NORTHERN MICHIGAN * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Feb 07 Lake Superior State * at Marie, Mich. 3:07 p.m.
Sat, Feb 08 Lake Superior State * at Marie, Mich. 3:07 p.m.
Fri, Feb 14 BOWLING GREEN * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Feb 15 BOWLING GREEN * Sullivan Arena 7:07 p.m.
Fri, Feb 21 Ferris State * at Big Rapids, Mich. 3:07 p.m.
Sat, Feb 22 Ferris State * at Big Rapids, Mich. 3:07 p.m.
Fri, Mar 07 Alaska Fairbanks * at Fairbanks, AK 7:07 p.m.
Sat, Mar 08 Alaska Fairbanks * at Fairbanks, AK 7:07 p.m.

Wow, only once do they have back to back series at the Sully. I don't like that.

seawolfpunk
03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Wow, only once do they have back to back series at the Sully. I don't like that.

They only had one this year too. I kind of like that they don't have too many back to back weekends @ home.

MavHockey14
03-05-2013, 05:42 PM
They only had one this year too. I kind of like that they don't have too many back to back weekends @ home.

I'd presume it's more of a worry on the wear and tear of the players with so much travel all the time.

Suze
03-05-2013, 09:08 PM
I'd presume it's more of a worry on the wear and tear of the players with so much travel all the time.

Exactly. And it's harder to build momentum with road trips every other series.

Jimjamesak
03-09-2013, 02:41 AM
Ok I'm gonna be positive...

The season's almost over.

seawolfpunk
03-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Ok I'm gonna be positive...

The season's almost over.

Woot

Suze
03-09-2013, 11:10 AM
I appreciate what Dave has tried to do at UAA, but it simply didn't work. His style doesn't fit and fans are leaving in droves. It's TIME for a change. He needs to go.