PDA

View Full Version : Fire Dave shyiak

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

davyd83
02-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Go find the weekly thread and tell the world how "UAA sucks and will lose".

Payne isn't the only option. A former NHL coach who is now an assistant may very well consider a NCAA Head Coaching gig if he isn't going to be taking a pay cut. I don't have any idea what Payne is making at L.A. but there are quite a few other recent NHL coaches who aren't making any money sitting at home.NHL assistant vs UAA coach, same salary and want another shot at NHL job....hmmmm....now lets look at how many coaches have gone from NCAA head coach to NHL head coach since Bob Johnson. Jeff Blashill took a pay cut to go from Western Michigan to Detroit assistant, and a pretty size able one, and now to coach Grand Rapids.

uaafanblog
02-26-2013, 12:08 AM
NHL assistant vs UAA coach, same salary and want another shot at NHL job....hmmmm....now lets look at how many coaches have gone from NCAA head coach to NHL head coach since Bob Johnson. Jeff Blashill took a pay cut to go from Western Michigan to Detroit assistant, and a pretty size able one, and now to coach Grand Rapids.

Yeah, I'm making no claims. But you don't know unless you ask. Like I said, going and getting some other NCAA assistant who's "time has come" according to the everyone is what UAA has done with zero success. You want to take a risk on someone then it should be some local hockey guy. I'd be happy with any number of local guys in the job ... I openly advocated for Dennis Sorenson when they hired John Hill ... look how that turned out. Dennis would still be better for UAA than some assistant from DU.

Like I said, you never know if you don't ask. Could be Davis Payne (or any other former NHL coach now toiling without the ability to run his own club) might see the ability to run his own club as attractive. Plus I'm not talking about chicken feed when I specify 300K a year. And DU assistants sure as hell ain't worth that. Get a name that will attract recruits.

uaafanblog
02-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Or he's in LA padding his resume a bit waiting for the next opening. Sorry but no moderately intelligent hockey coach with a future like Payne will go NHL Assistant to NCAA program, especially a bad one like ours.

And why don't you go back to masturbating about how you think SCSU is going to choke. I'm more of a fan than you, I actually go to the games.

Do you think you went to more UAA games than I did when I lived in Anchorage? Do you think you are "more" of a fan because I live in Chicago now? Your entire agenda here on this board has been and will always be to "fit in" and be "liked". I could give a ***** about making Facebook friends. You want that ... do it. But don't make the mistake of giving me this sort of attitude again.

The Rube
02-26-2013, 12:18 AM
And we've gone ludicrous. I love it. There is no replacement for free entertainment. :D

uaafanblog
02-26-2013, 12:20 AM
And we've gone ludicrous.

Says he who lives there.

The Rube
02-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Says he who lives there.

Uh, wha? I find this latest issue amusing. Carry on. I don't care who "wins."

Jimjamesak
02-26-2013, 02:00 AM
Uh, wha? I find this latest issue amusing. Carry on. I don't care who "wins."
http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw9048-215658__UNOPT__safe_fluttershy_animated_image-macro_haters-gonna-hate.gif.gif.

uaafanblog
02-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Oh you, you are so silly. Yes I do think I'm more of a fan because I live Anchorage.

I'm here for two simple things, to talk hockey and have fun. It is perfectly normal behavior to want to fit in and be liked though, it kinda makes life easier than being unliked d-bag.

Actually, what you are doing is looking to take exception to something in just about everything I post. I don't live up to you ideals of how to act online. I get it. I've explained to you once already, that problem is on you. Those are your expectations. As other fans here have explained to you; you are not colored in their perceptions by my actions. I will say what I choose to say here, when I want to say it. Your dislike of such (or anyone else's) has never and will never affect that.

Do not make me explain this to you again ... ever. I'm fairly certainly you have the capacity to understand those points.

Dirty
02-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Actually, what you are doing is looking to take exception to something in just about everything I post. I don't live up to you ideals of how to act online. I get it. I've explained to you once already, that problem is on you. Those are your expectations. As other fans here have explained to you; you are not colored in their perceptions by my actions. I will say what I choose to say here, when I want to say it. Your dislike of such (or anyone else's) has never and will never affect that.

Do not make me explain this to you again ... ever. I'm fairly certainly you have to capacity to understand those points.

Are you going to have Luca Brasi pay him a visit if he does? :eek:

Tipsy McStagger
02-26-2013, 09:31 AM
But don't make the mistake of giving me this sort of attitude again.
:eek: "You just riled the wrong mf'er, man. I'm like an earthquake, wrapped in a hurricane, nestled in a box of tsunamis"

davyd83
02-26-2013, 09:43 AM
So is it really the coaches who have been at fault? The team hasn't had a winning record since 91-92. The best win total was Shyiak's 16 two seasons ago. All the coaches, Brush, Hill, Talafous and Shyiak have had single digit win seasons. It seems that the problems go far deeper than the name on the coaches office. Until you fix what lies at the root of the problem, you set up the next guy for the same failures the current and past coaches have experienced. The other part of that is if the conditions are the same, which prime candidate will jump at the chance to go to Anchorage. Michigan Tech not only had to give Mel Pearson a 250% raise over Jamie Russell, they had to pony up better salaries for assistants, improve the recruiting and travel and a few other things to get the guy that is turning their program around. Would Mel have gone there for Russell's salary and the conditions and funding that Jamie had? Not a chance.

Suze
02-26-2013, 10:03 AM
And we've gone ludicrous. I love it. There is no replacement for free entertainment. :D

Psssssst, don't encourage them!

Jimjamesak
02-26-2013, 04:23 PM

Do not make me explain this to you again ... ever. I'm fairly certainly you have the capacity to understand those points.
So basically you are saying this:
******** width="420" height="315">******* name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z0-KZS1dDyw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param>******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z0-KZS1dDyw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Got it. But just because a few posters have stated that they do not color all UAA fans with the same brush does not mean it is true for others. I don't expect you understand this or change your ways though.

But, I'm not taking exception to everything you say because I'm trying to be different, I'm taking exception because everything you say is ludicrous (http://youtu.be/mk7VWcuVOf0). You have truly gone off the deep end. It is quite sad that you must base your entire existence on here on SCSU choking. But, I guess things won't change. You'll continue being a laughing stock and I'll just continue being a fan.

uaacwolf
02-26-2013, 04:42 PM
DD and JJ, I thought you two were friends. Didn't you do the old blog together? Come on guys, this is just silly. You are both fans and are entitled to your opinions without starting a war between the two of you. Sheeeeeh.

seawolfpunk
02-26-2013, 04:47 PM
So basically you are saying this:
******** width="420" height="315">******* name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z0-KZS1dDyw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param>******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z0-KZS1dDyw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Got it. But just because a few posters have stated that they do not color all UAA fans with the same brush does not mean it is true for others. I don't expect you understand this or change your ways though.

But, I'm not taking exception to everything you say because I'm trying to be different, I'm taking exception because everything you say is ludicrous (http://youtu.be/mk7VWcuVOf0). You have truly gone off the deep end. It is quite sad that you must base your entire existence on here on SCSU choking. But, I guess things won't change. You'll continue being a laughing stock and I'll just continue being a fan.

Well said JJ, i'm with you on this one. I'm still surprised how DD is a UAA fan after what happened with him losing his credentials.

seawolfpunk
02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
So is it really the coaches who have been at fault? The team hasn't had a winning record since 91-92. The best win total was Shyiak's 16 two seasons ago. All the coaches, Brush, Hill, Talafous and Shyiak have had single digit win seasons. It seems that the problems go far deeper than the name on the coaches office. Until you fix what lies at the root of the problem, you set up the next guy for the same failures the current and past coaches have experienced. The other part of that is if the conditions are the same, which prime candidate will jump at the chance to go to Anchorage. Michigan Tech not only had to give Mel Pearson a 250% raise over Jamie Russell, they had to pony up better salaries for assistants, improve the recruiting and travel and a few other things to get the guy that is turning their program around. Would Mel have gone there for Russell's salary and the conditions and funding that Jamie had? Not a chance.

I do agree that the problems do go deeper than the coaches & Cobb's office (Bill Spindle comes to mind), yet shyiak has had more last place finishes than anyone else.

Seawolf Fan
02-27-2013, 03:48 AM
Read DD posts and then wonder why he was denied credentials?????????
Like his writing or hate his writing makes no difference. His writing is not how a respectable institution wants to be represented.

uaafanblog
02-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Read DD posts and then wonder why he was denied credentials?????????
Like his writing or hate his writing makes no difference. His writing is not how a respectable institution wants to be represented.

I didn't represent them. Does the ADN "represent" them? No. Do they have to give me credentials? No. Was it in their best interest to do so? Yes. Whether or not you agree, the blog gave more visibility to the team online and provided a positive interactive place for fans to share their views. It could be doing the same thing today had I chose to continue to write it. But over the last couple of years of the blog I BEGGED on many occasions for other UAA fans to step up and contribute content. I made it clear I'd walk away the instant someone else came along that was willing to carry it forward with anything like the same vigor. I received zero replies from anyone indicating such an interest. I did add JJ to the blog in the hopes that he'd carry it forward. His post game interviews were well worth it. He originally envisioned doing much more but it never came to that. All that stuff takes personal time.

The reason(s) they pulled the credentials was an accumulation of complaints about offensive language and what I would call "socially challenging" commentary. In other words, too many eff bombs and too much picking on the Sioux nickname and it's racist supporters. There is ONE thing and ONE thing only to know regarding their decision ... The person in charge of the decision is very religious. End of story. An atheist dropping eff bombs and calling out the racist attitudes of opposition fans was too much for him to defend when the complaints came rolling in.

I decided to quit writing at that point because their decision to pull the credentials was like getting 86'd from a bar. If I get kicked out of someplace I don't take my business back to them. Same thing with the UAA Admin/Me relationship. They told me to eff off ... so I did. Their loss in my book. All they had to do in fielding complaints from old grannies was explain that they had no control over my content in the same manner they have no control over Doyle Woody's content. At least mine was NEVER negative to the program. And did they provide me any official feedback on the complaints they received? Once. They bungled the whole thing. The nature of my content was absolutely clear when they issued credentials ... something that Dr. Cobb himself prodded me to do. So again, it's on them.

Could I have moderated my content to fall in line with the same insipid coverage that you get from newspapers covering sports teams? Yes, I could have written for the least common denominator readership? Yep, I could have. Would I ever do that? Eff no. My writing there was always exactly what I felt as a fan and what I felt that other people could relate to. Like I said, it's their loss. Not mine. I have loads more personal time from not writing it.

So again, as I told JJ. Your expectations for what I say online (in any forum/blog or otherwise) are yours to own. Not mine. Don't like it. Don't read it or AT LEAST attempt to counter whatever points I've made with reasoning and not by trying to tell me how to act.

Now hopefully, we can talk about the subject of this thread ... which ISNT me.

davyd83
02-27-2013, 08:25 AM
I do agree that the problems do go deeper than the coaches & Cobb's office (Bill Spindle comes to mind), yet shyiak has had more last place finishes than anyone else. He also has the best winning percentage since Brush retired.

uaafanblog
02-27-2013, 08:39 AM
He also has the best winning percentage since Brush retired.
Agreed davy ... dumping Shyiak right now only has one real purpose. It's a jump start. It's a defibrillator. The team as it is now with Shyiak in charge could very well do quite nicely next season (if everyone stays). But this decision can't be made with some idea of a quick fix. A bold new direction must be made. If they were to get rid of Shyiak and the only way they moved forward was to open the job nationally and pick the best candidate that applied (how it's always been done in the past) then it would be a mistake to get rid of him. They'll only end up with another version of him. They need to find a "name coach" that will instantly impress a potential recruit. I've tried to suggest some manner of examples of that. I think they absolutely must start with recognition that they'll have to pay 300K a year to attract such a person.

Alternatively, I feel it would move the program slightly forward to find a local well respected coach (such a coach won't need to be paid 300K) who can attract the Tier 1 Anchorage players who otherwise now choose places like DU and CC to play hockey. Anchorage can sometimes produce 1 or 2 of those kinds of players a year. It's always been a known way to improve the program. Unfortunately, (for many many reasons) Dave has lost enough of the local hockey community that he'll only get any of those Tier 1 locals very rarely. To date, he's really gotten none of them.