PDA

View Full Version : Fire Dave shyiak

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

SanTropez
02-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Probably because of the condition DU keeps its' ice in. With good ice no one in the past 20 years could beat Minnesota.

qft

dggoddard
02-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Probably because of the condition DU keeps its' ice in. With good ice no one in the past 20 years could beat Minnesota.DU has brand spanking new chillers this season.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2012/04/du-clarion-new-ice-chillers-for-magness.html

Give Shyiak an extension. Fire UAA

Seawolf Fan
02-20-2013, 08:20 PM
I see Shyiak getting 4 more years. At the pay he's getting who ya gonna get that's better?

Squarebanks
02-20-2013, 08:26 PM
I see Shyiak getting 4 more years. At the pay he's getting who ya gonna get that's better?

Last I checked you pay him more than we pay Ferguson.

Squarebanks
02-20-2013, 10:32 PM
now here's one UAF fan i respect, if i ever meet you at a gov cup or kendall game, i'm buying you a round.

btw, that 15 game winning streak against uaf will end very shortly, Mick Durham has done a heck of a job up there, don't lose him.

Thanks. I'm proud of what Mick is doing...great coach and a nice guy to boot. The game last weekend was a great one...could've gone either way. I wouldn't be surprised if we meet again in the GNAC tourney.

Suze
02-20-2013, 10:35 PM
now here's one UAF fan i respect, if i ever meet you at a gov cup or kendall game, i'm buying you a round.

btw, that 15 game winning streak against uaf will end very shortly, Mick Durham has done a heck of a job up there, don't lose him.

What does basketball have to do with this thread?

Good news, UAA won't lose this weekend!! :)

Red Cows
02-21-2013, 01:00 AM
I don't know much about the guy, but, I will say this, I've had the pleasure of watching several Seawolves home games, streaming, online, this season and they always interview Shyiak at game's end. I have never thought he was particularly accountable after each and every one of those losses (I have not seen a Seawolves win this season). I've always gotten the impression when listening to him that he and the Seawolves are always the victim of some circumstances of one kind or another beyond his control and that's why they lost this or that particular game. "I don't know what happened but is sure isn't my/our fault" kind of interviews with him.

As an aside, I think the Seawolves announcers are very very good and enjoyable to listen to and a lot of the commercials that run during the game are absolutely hilarious. AA fans should be proud to have these guys calling their games. They are as good as the Gopher announcers of FSN are bad.

seawolfpunk
02-21-2013, 01:21 AM
What does basketball have to do with this thread?

Good news, UAA won't lose this weekend!! :)

My thread my rules

drcobbmustgonow
02-21-2013, 01:29 AM
well done...this is the most passion we had over the Seawolves hockey in sometime. I can only think of one other thread that could be better.

--Dre

Suze
02-21-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't know much about the guy, but, I will say this, I've had the pleasure of watching several Seawolves home games, streaming, online, this season and they always interview Shyiak at game's end. I have never thought he was particularly accountable after each and every one of those losses (I have not seen a Seawolves win this season). I've always gotten the impression when listening to him that he and the Seawolves are always the victim of some circumstances of one kind or another beyond his control and that's why they lost this or that particular game. "I don't know what happened but is sure isn't my/our fault" kind of interviews with him.

As an aside, I think the Seawolves announcers are very very good and enjoyable to listen to and a lot of the commercials that run during the game are absolutely hilarious. AA fans should be proud to have these guys calling their games. They are as good as the Gopher announcers of FSN are bad.

Haider and Tuttle are indeed excellent, some of the best play by play guys I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. At least UAA is good at something. :(

Seawolf Fan
02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Rumor has it Kurts leaving for an AHL club. Any update on that rumor?

Suze
02-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Rumor has it Kurts leaving for an AHL club. Any update on that rumor?

I heard a rumor that it was just a rumor. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Suze
02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
I think you guys should give him a year or two in a like-minded conference. He has never been dealt a hand he can play and with the playing field leveled much more for next year I think he could surprise some people

I don't agree and I don't know any passionate UAA fan who feels that way. When a coach loses the respect of his players - year after year - it's time to replace him.

uaafanblog
02-21-2013, 10:31 PM
well done...this is the most passion we had over the Seawolves hockey in sometime. I can only think of one other thread that could be better.

Cobb isn't going to go. Get over it. Quit wasting electrons on ADN bashing the guy. The past few years have seen a steady climb of all UAA Sports. The measures the UAA Administration uses to evaluate Cobb are things like the D-II Directors Cup standings and UAA has been sailing up those standings. With as few sports as they sponsor and as well as they are ranked in those standings there is no way they'll get rid of Cobb. If anything, it would be reason for some D-1 school that needs an Athletic Director to take a look at hiring Cobb.

Yes, he should bear some responsibility for Hockey's continuing malaise. In his favor, he fired Talafous when it was time. He hired "the guy" that EVERYBODY wanted him to hire (John Hill) and then he hired Shyiak whom every college hockey person said was right for the job immediately after Hill bolted. All those were good decisions. He hasn't fought enough for more resources (or at least he hasn't won those fights) for hockey. The failure to have an on campus arena lies above him.

What Euro says is correct. I assume that next year (if nobody leaves early) that UAA will have a pretty competitive team in the new league. But that's IF nobody leaves. And over the past few seasons just enough talent has left to strand the team where it is now. Bruijsten, Spencer, Mellor and Schied would have made quite a bit of difference had they not left after last season. That is on Shyiak. That's four pretty offensive minded players that I would think probably would have scored 30 goals between them. None of that is on Cobb.

As for thinking that there is some amount of passion being shown here compared to the past. You are also wrong. The person that posts the most here writes the same thing week in and week out ... "we suck we'll lose". So there's that.

SCSU Euro
02-22-2013, 01:06 AM
I don't agree and I don't know any passionate UAA fan who feels that way. When a coach loses the respect of his players - year after year - it's time to replace him.

I will take your word, you guys know better than I, but from my outside perspective they seem like the type of team that when you're trying to run the coach out they put up a big year. The cards I think are there for you guys to have a Top 3 finish in the first two years of the new WCHA

Suze
02-22-2013, 11:57 AM
I will take your word, you guys know better than I, but from my outside perspective they seem like the type of team that when you're trying to run the coach out they put up a big year. The cards I think are there for you guys to have a Top 3 finish in the first two years of the new WCHA

And just what do you base that on? When your best freshmen leave year after year it's very difficult to built a cohesive team that can win on a consistent basis. The departures under Shyiak are starting to look like the Talafous years ... and he was allowed to stay WAY longer than he should have.

SCSU Euro
02-22-2013, 01:14 PM
And just what do you base that on? When your best freshmen leave year after year it's very difficult to built a cohesive team that can win on a consistent basis. The departures under Shyiak are starting to look like the Talafous years ... and he was allowed to stay WAY longer than he should have.

I think the early season departures are odd and I would bet against them happening again.

Suze
02-22-2013, 04:44 PM
I think the early season departures are odd and I would bet against them happening again.

I wouldn't. In fact, I'd bet my life they are gonna happen again.

uaafanblog
02-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Scheid and Mellor both left for essentially the same reason. They wanted to play for teams that would give them more visibility. It's a bit of a mistake for parents/players to make that choice because not playing college hockey for a year doesn't do them any good and it's true that if you're good enough for "the show" that they'll find you no matter where you are playing. I think that Shyiak also under-utilized them both and failed by not convincing them/parents that staying was in their best interests. Scheid had more minutes than Mellor but neither one were treated like a stud would be treated at another school. And I'm betting they'll both produce very nicely for their new teams. Spencer was a junior and left as a direct result of a conflict with the coach. He was told at the beginning of the season he needed to produce. And by mid-season he did have 7 goals ... though he also was producing "selifsh" shifts. A failed relationship between a coach and a player is on the coach in my book whether or not the player has a good attitude. The coach should find a way. Bruijsten was a junior and left purely because he thought he was ready to move onto pro-hockey. Shyiak should have been aware that Bruijsten had stopped going to classes during that semester. So again, that failure is on him.

There are players on this years squad who are in similar situations. If there is a scout out there who is high on Matt Bailey then he could be a flight risk. He would be mistaken if he left for anything less than an AHL contract where I believe he might thrive in the right situation. He has the tools. And like Mellor and Scheid, Blake Tatchell could bolt to another D1 team though like I said it would be a bad choice by him and his parents. Chris Williams might be a future potential loss to the pros because I'll just say here that he is as good a freshman defensive prospect at the D1 level as anyone I've seen in all my years watching the game. He's got all the tools. His stats won't bring him much attention but he's really solid on the back-end and has a clear knack for carrying the puck. He makes good choices whether to pass or skate on breakouts and either usually turn out nicely. Seasoning at this level will develop him.

seawolfpunk
02-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Scheid and Mellor both left for essentially the same reason. They wanted to play for teams that would give them more visibility. It's a bit of a mistake for parents/players to make that choice because not playing college hockey for a year doesn't do them any good and it's true that if you're good enough for "the show" that they'll find you no matter where you are playing. I think that Shyiak also under-utilized them both and failed by not convincing them/parents that staying was in their best interests. Scheid had more minutes than Mellor but neither one were treated like a stud would be treated at another school. And I'm betting they'll both produce very nicely for their new teams. Spencer was a junior and left as a direct result of a conflict with the coach. He was told at the beginning of the season he needed to produce. And by mid-season he did have 7 goals ... though he also was producing "selifsh" shifts. A failed relationship between a coach and a player is on the coach in my book whether or not the player has a good attitude. The coach should find a way. Bruijsten was a junior and left purely because he thought he was ready to move onto pro-hockey. Shyiak should have been aware that Bruijsten had stopped going to classes during that semester. So again, that failure is on him.

There are players on this years squad who are in similar situations. If there is a scout out there who is high on Matt Bailey then he could be a flight risk. He would be mistaken if he left for anything less than an AHL contract where I believe he might thrive in the right situation. He has the tools. And like Mellor and Scheid, Blake Tatchell could bolt to another D1 team though like I said it would be a bad choice by him and his parents. Chris Williams might be a future potential loss to the pros because I'll just say here that he is as good a freshman defensive prospect at the D1 level as anyone I've seen in all my years watching the game. He's got all the tools. His stats won't bring him much attention but he's really solid on the back-end and has a clear knack for carrying the puck. He makes good choices whether to pass or skate on breakouts and either usually turn out nicely. Seasoning at this level will develop him.

I agree that Scheid & espcially Mellor were underutilitized (He will be a stud for Western Michigan). I won't be suprised if Matt Bailey is gone, since he has gone to Washington's Development Camp the past 2 years. I honestly don't see tatchell transferring anywhere, but i could be wrong. I could see williams going early though.