PDA

View Full Version : ECAC West Playoffs

Pages : [1] 2

sshablak
02-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Found it strange that the format changed. All six teams in with #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5 ?

sshablak
02-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Then it says UC plays the winner of #4 M-Ville and #5 Elmira with Hobart hosting the winner of #3 Neumann vs #6 Nazareth. But, it also says UC will play the lowest seed remaining...which could be Nazareth if they pulled the upset ?

This is off the official D3 release found on D3 hockey.com ?

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
02-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Then it says UC plays the winner of #4 M-Ville and #5 Elmira with Hobart hosting the winner of #3 Neumann vs #6 Nazareth. But, it also says UC will play the lowest seed remaining...which could be Nazareth if they pulled the upset ?

I think it had been stated that they were going to a 6-team format this year. I vaguely remember hearing about it sometime last season or in the offseason, and some of the UC and Elmira posters had mentioned it (although they were never quite sure themselves) through the year. So I guess it wasn't a surprise, just never CLEARLY stated outright.

And I'm just as confused as you are... the box to the side on the release (http://www.ecacdiiihockey.com/mens_west/2012-13/Weekly_Releases/Men-s_West_Playoff_Release_12-13.pdf) says UC plays the lowest seed, but then the text in the release itself says it's a fixed bracket, effectively. I'm inclined to believe the Pioneers would host Naz if the Golden Flyers made it that far, but I can't be sure, obviously.

Bennycheck
02-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Anyone interested in UC tickets better get down to the AUD soon. I stood in line for an hour and a half today just after lunch to get mine (hope the boss isn't reading this). They're going fast.

UCBadger
02-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Anyone interested in UC tickets better get down to the AUD soon. I stood in line for an hour and a half today just after lunch to get mine (hope the boss isn't reading this). They're going fast.Season ticket holders have till the close of business on Wednesday (I think) to purchase their seats. On Thursday unsold season ticket holder's seats will be made available to the general public.

Bennycheck
02-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Season ticket holders have till the close of business on Wednesday (I think) to purchase their seats. On Thursday unsold season ticket holder's seats will be made available to the general public.

Be advised, they didn't have a seperate line for ST holders when I was there today, so they had to stand in line with the people buying general public tickets. That made buying your own seat and buying GP seats very slow. Hopefully they have fixed that. They only had one lady selling tickets out of the main office!!

peddler
02-18-2013, 07:36 PM

From the ECAC West Website:

2012-13 ECAC Men's West Tournament Schedule

First Round: Wednesday, February 20
Game 1: No. 6 Nazareth at No. 3 Neumann, 7:00pm
Game 2: No. 5 Elmira at No. 4 Manhattanville, 7:30pm

Semifinals: Saturday, February 23
Game 3: Lowest Remaining Seed at No. 1 Utica, 7:00pm
Game 4: Highest Remaining Seed at No. 2 Hobart, 7:00pm

Championship: Saturday, March 2
(at highest seed)
Game 5: Game 3 Winner vs. Game 4 Winner, TBD

sshablak
02-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Read the release.

bakdraft21
02-19-2013, 12:50 PM
im lookin for the Elmira upset

llama
02-19-2013, 01:35 PM
im lookin for the Elmira upset

I wouldn't be surpised if Naz knocks off Neumann. They played two fairly close games last weekend, and we all know the old saying about how hard it is to beat the same team three times straight (especially when all three games are in the same week!).

I say that with no disrespect to Neumann...I mean it as more of a compliment to Naz.

Birdwatcher
02-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Found it strange that the format changed. All six teams in with #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5 ?

SUNYAC has used this playoff system for years. 1 & 2 get a first round bye.

NUProf
02-19-2013, 10:51 PM

They changed the format because they made every team in the league eligible for the playoffs. This is a pretty common practice, although I'm not a great fan of the approach. Getting into the playoffs should be an accomplishment, not a right.

sshablak
02-20-2013, 07:43 AM
I agree 100%...you should earn your right into the playoffs.

EC809
02-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Was the last time EC was in a play-in game 06? Joy goal in OT?:confused:

Bennycheck
02-20-2013, 03:57 PM
I agree 100%...you should earn your right into the playoffs.

Careful Shabby. You do want Colgate in the playoffs don't you?

http://www.uscho.com/ecac-hockey-playoffs/

Captain Obvious
02-20-2013, 05:08 PM
They changed the format because they made every team in the league eligible for the playoffs. This is a pretty common practice, although I'm not a great fan of the approach. Getting into the playoffs should be an accomplishment, not a right.

Pretty sure this was a decision based on the strength of the league. If the majority of the AD's didn't think they had a horse that could win the league, they would not take on additional travel costs for a 5/6 game.

Also, without an AQ, this give you and extra game to beat another ranked team within your playoffs, which could help them move up in the pairwise rankings.

I believe their is a women's conference that depends on this same format to move teams up the pairwise rankings.

NUProf
02-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Pretty sure this was a decision based on the strength of the league. If the majority of the AD's didn't think they had a horse that could win the league, they would not take on additional travel costs for a 5/6 game.

Also, without an AQ, this give you and extra game to beat another ranked team within your playoffs, which could help them move up in the pairwise rankings.

I believe their is a women's conference that depends on this same format to move teams up the pairwise rankings.

All 3 of the ECAC Men's leagues put all of the teams in the playoffs (the only difference this year is that there are now 6 teams in the West instead of 5). The ECAC East Women's leaves out one team. It really has nothing to do with the strength of the league. It has to do with the desire to give everybody a playoff game.

WIT SID
02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
All 3 of the ECAC Men's leagues put all of the teams in the playoffs (the only difference this year is that there are now 6 teams in the West instead of 5). The ECAC East Women's leaves out one team. It really has nothing to do with the strength of the league. I has to do with the desire to give everybody a playoff game.The Northeast only takes the top 6. The first year with eight teams (post-MASCAC & NE-10) everyone made it, but it's only six now.

NUProf
02-20-2013, 06:24 PM
The Northeast only takes the top 6. The first year with eight teams (post-MASCAC & NE-10) everyone made it, but it's only six now.

That's new - thanks for the update. I wish the ECAC East would take just 6

Captain Obvious
02-21-2013, 06:20 AM
All 3 of the ECAC Men's leagues put all of the teams in the playoffs (the only difference this year is that there are now 6 teams in the West instead of 5). The ECAC East Women's leaves out one team. It really has nothing to do with the strength of the league. It has to do with the desire to give everybody a playoff game.

It is the NESCAC women.