Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tUMD @ UMTC: Last time we played in MPLS tDome didn't have a roof!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
    Perfectly fair analysis.

Problem is, its the same analysis from the past two months.

And that makes me skeptical that they can just turn it on for a playoff push.
    They strung 6 in a row together not so long ago. Hasn't been quite that long. But yeah, need to get it straightened out.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: tUMD @ UMTC: Last time we played in MPLS tDome didn't have a roof!

They didn't look sharp either game. Definitely worries me.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        They didn't look sharp either game. Definitely worries me.
        Me too.

Comment

Just can't buy a ****in' sweep this year.
          Duluth played as well as I feared this weekend. They aren't a bad team, and pair them up against the Gophers and you are going to see some pretty good hockey out of them, regardless of their record.

Special teams hurt MN this weekend. 3-8 for Dultuh, 1-9 for the Gophers. That's kind of been their bread and butter this season, so getting beat in special teams was going to make it difficult to sweep (as it would for any team).

Typical Don Adam officiating tonight. Inconsistent as hell. Some really ticky-tacky stuff called both ways, and then one of the worst non-calls of the season on Serratore right before overtime. It's not like it had a drastic impact on the game, but...I would seriously be embarrassed to be Donny, and I'd be even more embarrassed to have awarded him a prominent position in my brand-new "anything-you-can-do-we-can-do-better" conference.

Some folks are understandably questioning MN's ability to make a deep run in the play-offs given their struggles in stringing together consecutive strong outings. Personally, I'm not reading too much into it. We've seen how good MN are capable of playing. Come elimination time, things change. I'm just frustrated that we keep bleeding points in the regular season conference race.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            Some folks are understandably questioning MN's ability to make a deep run in the play-offs given their struggles in stringing together consecutive strong outings. Personally, I'm not reading too much into it. We've seen how good MN are capable of playing. Come elimination time, things change. I'm just frustrated that we keep bleeding points in the regular season conference race.
            How they have played in really big games is what I am leaning on now. They have been awesome. It just bums me out that they don't feel that these games deserve that kind of effort. There is a bigger goal than the Mac, yes. But taking days off tends to create bad habits that will bite you in the butt in the future.

Comment

1 point
              The University of Minnesota Duluth

Tweet -> @Matt_Christians

http://umdbulldogcountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                How they have played in really big games is what I am leaning on now. They have been awesome. It just bums me out that they don't feel that these games deserve that kind of effort. There is a bigger goal than the Mac, yes. But taking days off tends to create bad habits that will bite you in the butt in the future.
                My feeling that I have come to is that this team has not set its sights on repeating as MacNaughton Cup winners. I really wish they would have, but I just don't think that's the mentality of the team. So I'm not reading too much into these lost opportunities in regards to the post-season. I think in the NCAA's we are much more likely to see the Gopher team that we saw against ND, BC, UND then we saw this weekend.

Comment

The tie does sting, but a loss would have been devestating. At least we were able to gain ground on all the other teams in the conference (even if half of them didn't play). Still not out of the race for first, but also in danger of falling out of second so big weekend coming up. With the way we have played against Denver the past five years, escpecially the painful series at Denver last year, there is nothing to look ahead to this week. Sure would be worth the wait if we could pick up the sweep on Seth Helgeson... er I mean Senior Night. Better forcus on winning on Friday night first though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                    My feeling that I have come to is that this team has not set its sights on repeating as MacNaughton Cup winners. I really wish they would have, but I just don't think that's the mentality of the team. So I'm not reading too much into these lost opportunities in regards to the post-season. I think in the NCAA's we are much more likely to see the Gopher team that we saw against ND, BC, UND then we saw this weekend.
                    I get what you are saying, and I hope that's the case. I just don't want them to develop bad habits. It is easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      I think the mentality the coaches are trying to instill is, "this is the time of year to fire on all cylinders for every game and get rewarded". There's obviously a lot more at stake now with only two weeks remaining in the regular season (e.g. WCHA standings, the Mac, playoff readiness, etc.). I find it hard to believe the coaching staff and players have given up on winning the Mac when they all understand how close this WCHA race is. It's very likely winning the Mac will come down to the final week of regular season play. Every game is important with broad implications should be the message in the locker room.

Right now, I don't think they're playing as consistent and dominating as the team that beat BC, ND, UND and put a string of wins together to start the 2nd half. Although the talent is certainly there, IMO they have not shown enough consistent desperation and scoring prowess at key junctures this season to close out teams and log a few weekend sweeps.

The ties (6!!) have perhaps hurt us the most this season in points (2011-12 - 1 NC tie). That indicates to me that "right now" this Gopher squad lacks the finishing power needed for a deep playoff run. Neurons do fire a little hotter during the playoffs, but it's much more difficult to peak then against equally desperate playoff teams if you haven't established that mode of extraordinary play during the regular season.

During Lucia's tenure, Gopher teams that have 3 or less WCHA sweeps (e.g. The three seasons from hell: 08-11) did not even make the NCAAs. IF this team does manage to make it to the FF, it will go down in the annals of the Lucia years as the most salient statistical outlier ever in that category.

Hope they can figure it out with DU coming in next week. DU hasn't been swept by the Gophers in 7 years (2005-06).

Gopher goal highlights:

Comment

Really thought UMTC would smell blood going into Sat being one point out of first behind Jan. Thought UMTC would win by 3+ goals with points being so important to them in race to Mac. Pretty impressed tUMD did not lie down and played some pretty good hockey.

Still find it ironic that some of best UMTC players are non Minnys, like Haula and Condon. This after years of listening old schoolers droning on and on about how tUMD non Minnys were "taking jobs from Minnesota boys." I still think casual UMTC fans think they are an all Minny roster (casual being folks that do not post here or on GPL). Gotta give tDon credit for breaking that mold which lead to titles featuring Vanek and Potulny, but I still there is large alum contingent whining they want all Minny roster. That has to get old for tDon.
                        tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

After the friday game, I was scared the Gophers were going to sweep SCSU. But I have never seen a team this good that had this much trouble sweeping teams. The Gophers made a bad Duluth team look good this weekend, and I would start worrying if I was a fan of the U of M.
                          Originally posted by SJHovey
                          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                          Originally posted by Brenthoven
                          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                            After the friday game, I was scared the Gophers were going to sweep SCSU. But I have never seen a team this good that had this much trouble sweeping teams. The Gophers made a bad Duluth team look good this weekend, and I would start worrying if I was a fan of the U of M.
                            I agree. Whenever your team doesn't show the consistent ability to get up for games you should be concerned. I am definitely worried about this Gopher squad. Buti would also be worried about SCSU's inability to consistently get up for non conference games.

Comment

We're 2nd in the conference and the nation!!!!!!

If you're worried, then get off the bandwagon. We don't need you. Talk about a bunch of Chicken Littles!
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                We're 2nd in the conference and the nation!!!!!!

If you're worried, then get off the bandwagon. We don't need you. Talk about a bunch of Chicken Littles!
                                With all due respect (i.e. none for you ) ****** off. I've been on that wagon since before you even knew it existed (maybe before you existed?). I am very concerned with this team's inconsistency. They are going to need 4 really good games in a row against good teams to win the big one. I have yet to see evidence that they can put two big efforts together in 2013 far less 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X