Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University season thread - strike 3! last man there turn out the lights.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread - strike 3! last man there turn out the lights.

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    Caught in the car on the way home: Bernie and Tom called Lowell the best team in the country.
    Might not be the best, certainly the hottest right now.
    UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

• Re: Boston University season thread - strike 3! last man there turn out the lights.

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      The scary thing (after all this negativity - myself included) is, it's not ridiculous to think we could get at least 6 (if not more) points in the last four games and still get home ice. Just saying...
      Agreed... it is scary in a way. I guess other teams in the league are each having issues of their own to some extent... seems like an iffy proposition though. (Hope I'm wrong). Does 5 points get us home ice?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        Does 5 points get us home ice?
        I haven't gone through all the permutations...but given we are playing two teams below us (Vermont and Northeastern) and everyone above us is playing each other, it gives us a chance to gain ground. For example, here are the schedules:

BC - home/home vs Providence, 2 at Vermont - "might" only get 4 out of a possible 8 points
        Lowell - home/home vs Merrimack, home/home vs Providence - could get anywhere from 2 - 6 realistically
        UNH - 4 at home (UMass and Maine) - so we won't catch them most likely
        Providence - home/home vs BC, home/home vs Lowell - anywhere from 2 - 6 realistically
        Merrimack - home/home vs Lowell, home/home vs UMass - anywhere from 2 - 6 realistically

Now, if all of those series split (except ours, of course), we gain AT LEAST 2 point on half of the teams, and we are only 2 out of first place now. So I have to assume that 6 points gets us home ice. Not sure about 5.

But (as Bernie said tonight)...in my best Al Davis voice, "Just win baby." We had this same discussion a year ago at this time. Everyone went crazy figuring out the PWR and the possibilities. They watched all the other games and worried about how this team did and how that team did, thinking that we needed help (but forgetting that teams knock each other off and very infrequently do one or two teams run the table). Turns out, if we had just won games we would have easily qualified. And each time someone said "Well, if we just win TONIGHT..." we would lose. Pretty soon there were no more games left and it was too late. If you look at the schedule, a sweep will kill the team on the losing end, so if we just keep winning we HAVE TO gain ground on at least two teams, which would put us at least in fourth.
        Last edited by chickod; 02-26-2013, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
          I'd like to thank Dennehy for participating in the #KeepParker campaign, men and women for others!
          And to think, some people on here were calling for Dennehy to replace Parker. Sure, go out and get a coach that can't beat the guy you want to replace. Must have been Igles fans calling for Dennehy!
          BU is 3-0 against Merrimack this season, 25-4-2 since 2004-05, and even 13-2-1 against the Warriors at Agganis.

Comment

Was just under 3000.

Seemed pretty empty.

Whoever stayed at home missed a good game.
            For the first two periods, that was the BU team we saw, and had high hopes for, in the first half. The third period had too many dumb penalties, again. Noonan should offer to return the 'A' as he hasn't been remotely the same player since being given it. BTW, Ruikka isn't the most talented guy, but he worked his butt off tonight. Megan, too.

The promo was the first 4,000 fans get free BU Hockey tee-shirts. The announced crowd was in the 2,700 range, and I'm thinking even smaller. Has there been a give-away before at BU hockey where the crowd wasn't large enough for all of the goodies to go? A lot of people got to outfit their absent family members as people could go back for seconds and thirds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post

Caught in the car on the way home: Bernie and Tom called Lowell the best team in the country.
              they aren't that but they are the best team in the league......................oh, and needless to say, Bernie did not give the score during the post game

Comment

Is the cherrypicker thing a regular part of Merrimacks game plan? Every time we had the puck in the zone we were watching 4 on 4 hockey.

And yes they sure gooned it up at the end.
                I haven't noticed the "hanga" approach too much this year (although they have used in the past, and I certainly recall it specifically against BU).

The ""goon it up" stuff is really disappointing, a reversion to their modus from previous seasons. They seemed to have moved away from that type of play this year, being significantly more disciplined, playing tight defense while still being physical.

And, as Harry Cleverly said, BU owns the Warriors, especially at Agganis.
                Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Nice win. Merrimack is typically a very tough team to play against. Seeing a 5-0 score at one point was kind of shocking. Merrimack gooning it up was not shocking, however. Typical.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                    And to think, some people on here were calling for Dennehy to replace Parker.....
                    Mookie missed that
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Merrimack's D was terrible. Against a team famous for missing wide open chances, I think at one point BU had 5 goals on a little over 20 shots. The point being they were shooting from point blank range. Maybe it was all that cherry picking they were doing although I noticed that more after BU had built up a lead and they needed to start taking chances.

Announced crowd was a joke. There were 1000 people there if they were lucky.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Was just under 3000.

Seemed pretty empty.

Whoever stayed at home missed a good game.
                        The number in attendance wasn't a surprise. What has been a surprise has been the ongoing depletion of the student sections. Well, maybe that shouldn't be a surprise.

Actually, the atmosphere was reminiscent of the old ECAC and early HE midweek games that rarely drew large crowds.
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          Announced crowd was a joke. There were 1000 people there if they were lucky.
                          The announced crowd was lower than the number of season tickets, so they at least thought about giving the actual number

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          The number in attendance wasn't a surprise. What has been a surprise has been the ongoing depletion of the student sections. Well, maybe that shouldn't be a surprise.
                          I'd wait until after this coming weekend before I make an assessment on the students, I can't remember the last game that was rescheduled and put on a weekday so there is nothing to really compare it to. Hopefully 3-7-2, brings a larger crowd than 2-7-2 did.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                            The announced crowd was lower than the number of season tickets, so they at least thought about giving the actual number

I'd wait until after this coming weekend before I make an assessment on the students, I can't remember the last game that was rescheduled and put on a weekday so there is nothing to really compare it to. Hopefully 3-7-2, brings a larger crowd than 2-7-2 did.
                            I heard some people apparently came in, scanned their tickets, got a free t-shirt and left. I didn't see it, but one of my friends I sit with did.

I also wouldn't expect a spike in student attendance this weekend, Friday is the Back Bay Ball, so that's a giant chunk of students who'll go to that instead. Couple that with the previous home losing streak, the Beanpot losses, I don't expect to see any more students beyond the core group that consistently go no matter what.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              I heard some people apparently came in, scanned their tickets, got a free t-shirt and left. I didn't see it, but one of my friends I sit with did.
                              The t-shirts would not have been worth the walk/drive/t-ride/time to the arena! Funny if people did that...

As I mentioned previously if anyone did, they missed a good game.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

I also wouldn't expect a spike in student attendance this weekend, Friday is the Back Bay Ball, so that's a giant chunk of students who'll go to that instead. Couple that with the previous home losing streak, the Beanpot losses, I don't expect to see any more students beyond the core group that consistently go no matter what.
                                And the Back Bay Ball is?
                                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Working...
                                X