PDA

View Full Version : Hockey East Coach Power Rankings

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Thiessen'sBetter
02-12-2013, 11:34 AM
This thread was done a few years ago but with 1st or 2nd year coaches at UML, NU, PC and UMass I thought it would be interesting to do it again. Let me preface this by saying, I really hope I'm wrong about my own team's coach. I'd go:

1. York
2. Dennehy
3. Umile
4. Bazin
5. Leaman
6. Parker
7. Sneddon
8. Micheletto
9. Whitehead
10. Madigan

May have put Dennehy too high, but I love what he's done with Merrimack with very middle of the road talent. If this was a list of the best recruiters, I'd put Parker 2nd, but in recent years (save for 08-09) BU has played well below their talent level. Jury is still out on the 4 new coaches but 3 of the 4 have their programs trending upward. I'll let you guess who the 4th guy is.

sandiegoblkbr
02-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Whitehead is way too high.

mookie1995
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
i've always liked sneddon. he obviously has to take what he can get at uvm.

brassbonanza
02-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Is this based on overall record or just where they stand currently?

Thiessen'sBetter
02-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Is this based on overall record or just where they stand currently?

Currently. If it was overall record, I'd have Parker 2nd.

mookie1995
02-12-2013, 11:52 AM

1st (less losses than jwwrry :D)

brassbonanza
02-12-2013, 11:56 AM

OK, I figured as much, but wanted to make sure. Fair rankings, only thing I'd say is if you're going to knock Parker (rightly so) for lack of success of late and put him below the two young upstart coaches from PC and UML, the same argument can be made for Umile. It would seem that he and Parker should be ranked side by side wherever they are since their overall accomplishments for the past ~five years or equates out to about the same, with Parker probably getting an edge because of the title.

Nick Papagiorgio
02-12-2013, 12:05 PM
This thread was done a few years ago but with 1st or 2nd year coaches at UML, NU, PC and UMass I thought it would be interesting to do it again. Let me preface this by saying, I really hope I'm wrong about my own team's coach. I'd go:

1. York
2. Dennehy
3. Umile
4. Bazin
5. Leaman
6. Parker
7. Sneddon
8. Micheletto
9. Whitehead
10. Madigan

May have put Dennehy too high, but I love what he's done with Merrimack with very middle of the road talent. If this was a list of the best recruiters, I'd put Parker 2nd, but in recent years (save for 08-09) BU has played well below their talent level. Jury is still out on the 4 new coaches but 3 of the 4 have their programs trending upward. I'll let you guess who the 4th guy is.

Dennehy prob is too high. Prob would put Umile at 2. Leaman at 3 (early but I believe he's the real deal). Dennehy at 4. After that... I can't bring myself to care.

Jon
02-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Another thread that exists purely for the mockery of Maine fans.

(TIMMAY!)

Yuppie Scum
02-12-2013, 12:58 PM
May have put Dennehy too high, but I love what he's done with Merrimack with very middle of the road talent.

Cannata, Da Costa, Collins, Bigos are middle-of-the-road?

Thiessen'sBetter
02-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Cannata, Da Costa, Collins, Bigos are middle-of-the-road?

Cannata and Da Costa we're great talents. Collins is a very good player that fits extremely well in Dennehy's system. Look at the top 6 scorers in HE: Gaudreau, Collins, Roy, Mullane, Goumas and Whitney: Collins is the least talented guy there but has put up the same number of points. As for Bigos, the only Merrimack player I can ever remember who I think is overrated. Takes way too many dumb penalties, gets skated in circles around by smaller, quicker forwards. A nice player, but nothing spectacular. My point is, the fact this year's Merrimack team is T-2nd in HE is because Dennehy is a fantastic coach.

joegrav
02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Depends on what criteria you're using to rank them, I guess. The criteria I'll use is: I have an unlimited budget to hire a coach to start a new D1 program. The order of my offers...

1. York
2. Umile
3. Leaman
4. Bazin
5. Dennehy
6. Micheletto
7. Parker
8. Sneddon
9. Madigan
10. TimmehTime

mookie1995
02-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Depends on what criteria you're using to rank them, I guess. The criteria I'll use is: I have an unlimited budget to hire a coach to start a new D1 program. The order of my offers...

1. York
2. Umile
3. Leaman
4. Bazin
5. Dennehy
6. Micheletto
7. Parker
8. Sneddon
9. Madigan
10. TimmehTime

bs!! :D

jerry's odds of being there to see your new programs first class graduate? 50/50 at best.

SteveF
02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
York - unquestioned
Leamen - success at union, good start at PC, strong recruiter
Bazin - like what his teams are doing so far
Dennehy - could be anywhere from 2-4; doing good work but the mean old Canadians cherry picking doesn't wow me
Umile - consistent but never great
Madigan - doing pretty good with no talent after losing all of cronin's recruits that fell off the truck. Play BC tough and won some convincing road games last year
Parker - jackpa forever
Michelletto - incomplete because the team is playing no different than they did for toot
Sneddon - boring system and guys constantly quitting
Whitehead - beings in better recruits than sneddon but loses them faster. Should be able to capitalize on legacy more than he has

J.D.
02-12-2013, 03:16 PM
i've always liked sneddon. he obviously has to take what he can get at uvm.

Always? Maybe BU should take a look at him post-Parker. Might be a seamless transition ;)

mpereira
02-12-2013, 03:20 PM
1. Parker
2. Leaman
3. Dennehy
4. Bazin
5. Sneddon
6. Umile
7. Micheletto
8. Madigan
9. Whitehead
10. York

Timmy is lucky York is in the conference or he would have been dead last :D

BoSox3066
02-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Jerry York.
The Grand Canyon.
Then everybody else.
Then another Grand Canyon.
Then Timmy.

Fishhawk
02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
I think you have to factor in what they have to work with. One measure of that is # of NHL draft picks on the roster. My list averages # of draft picks with place in the HEA standings. Ties go to least draft picks. Throwing the ability to recruit draft picks as one measure of a good coach out the window I know but let's just say that's more a factor of legacy and location than anything else.

Dennehy (1 and 2 =1.5)
Umile (2 and 3 = 2.5)
Micheleto (0 and 7 = 3.5)
York (7 and 1 = 4)
Bazin (3 and 6 = 4.5)
Leaman(4 and 5 = 4.5)
Sneddon (3 and 8 = 5.5)
Whitehead (4 and 9 = 6.5)
Parker (9 and 4 = 6.5)
Madigan (4 and 10 = 7)

J.D.
02-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Any system that has York 4th is flawed.

ericredaxe
02-12-2013, 04:25 PM
I think you have to factor in what they have to work with. One measure of that is # of NHL draft picks on the roster. My list averages # of draft picks with place in the HEA standings. Ties go to least draft picks. Throwing the ability to recruit draft picks as one measure of a good coach out the window I know but let's just say that's more a factor of legacy and location than anything else.

Dennehy (1 and 2 =1.5)
Umile (2 and 3 = 2.5)
Micheleto (0 and 7 = 3.5)
York (7 and 1 = 4)
Bazin (3 and 6 = 4.5)
Leaman(4 and 5 = 4.5)
Sneddon (3 and 8 = 5.5)
Whitehead (4 and 9 = 6.5)
Parker (9 and 4 = 6.5)
Madigan (4 and 10 = 7)

This seems like you make it a bad thing that they recruited NHL draft picks.