Hockey East Coach Power Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East Coach Power Rankings

This thread was done a few years ago but with 1st or 2nd year coaches at UML, NU, PC and UMass I thought it would be interesting to do it again. Let me preface this by saying, I really hope I'm wrong about my own team's coach. I'd go:

1. York
    2. Dennehy
    3. Umile
    4. Bazin
    5. Leaman
    6. Parker
    7. Sneddon
    8. Micheletto
    9. Whitehead
    10. Madigan

May have put Dennehy too high, but I love what he's done with Merrimack with very middle of the road talent. If this was a list of the best recruiters, I'd put Parker 2nd, but in recent years (save for 08-09) BU has played well below their talent level. Jury is still out on the 4 new coaches but 3 of the 4 have their programs trending upward. I'll let you guess who the 4th guy is.
    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Re: Hockey East Coach Power Rankings

Whitehead is way too high.

Comment

i've always liked sneddon. he obviously has to take what he can get at uvm.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Is this based on overall record or just where they stand currently?
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          Is this based on overall record or just where they stand currently?
          Currently. If it was overall record, I'd have Parker 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
            1st (less losses than jwwrry )

Comment

OK, I figured as much, but wanted to make sure. Fair rankings, only thing I'd say is if you're going to knock Parker (rightly so) for lack of success of late and put him below the two young upstart coaches from PC and UML, the same argument can be made for Umile. It would seem that he and Parker should be ranked side by side wherever they are since their overall accomplishments for the past ~five years or equates out to about the same, with Parker probably getting an edge because of the title.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

This thread was done a few years ago but with 1st or 2nd year coaches at UML, NU, PC and UMass I thought it would be interesting to do it again. Let me preface this by saying, I really hope I'm wrong about my own team's coach. I'd go:

1. York
                2. Dennehy
                3. Umile
                4. Bazin
                5. Leaman
                6. Parker
                7. Sneddon
                8. Micheletto
                9. Whitehead
                10. Madigan

May have put Dennehy too high, but I love what he's done with Merrimack with very middle of the road talent. If this was a list of the best recruiters, I'd put Parker 2nd, but in recent years (save for 08-09) BU has played well below their talent level. Jury is still out on the 4 new coaches but 3 of the 4 have their programs trending upward. I'll let you guess who the 4th guy is.
                Dennehy prob is too high. Prob would put Umile at 2. Leaman at 3 (early but I believe he's the real deal). Dennehy at 4. After that... I can't bring myself to care.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Another thread that exists purely for the mockery of Maine fans.

(TIMMAY!)

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                  -Blackadder
                  "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                  -Casablanca
                  "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

May have put Dennehy too high, but I love what he's done with Merrimack with very middle of the road talent.
                    Cannata, Da Costa, Collins, Bigos are middle-of-the-road?

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                      Cannata, Da Costa, Collins, Bigos are middle-of-the-road?
                      Cannata and Da Costa we're great talents. Collins is a very good player that fits extremely well in Dennehy's system. Look at the top 6 scorers in HE: Gaudreau, Collins, Roy, Mullane, Goumas and Whitney: Collins is the least talented guy there but has put up the same number of points. As for Bigos, the only Merrimack player I can ever remember who I think is overrated. Takes way too many dumb penalties, gets skated in circles around by smaller, quicker forwards. A nice player, but nothing spectacular. My point is, the fact this year's Merrimack team is T-2nd in HE is because Dennehy is a fantastic coach.

Comment

Depends on what criteria you're using to rank them, I guess. The criteria I'll use is: I have an unlimited budget to hire a coach to start a new D1 program. The order of my offers...

1. York
                        2. Umile
                        3. Leaman
                        4. Bazin
                        5. Dennehy
                        6. Micheletto
                        7. Parker
                        8. Sneddon
                        9. Madigan
                        10. TimmehTime
                        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                        -
                        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                          Depends on what criteria you're using to rank them, I guess. The criteria I'll use is: I have an unlimited budget to hire a coach to start a new D1 program. The order of my offers...

1. York
                          2. Umile
                          3. Leaman
                          4. Bazin
                          5. Dennehy
                          6. Micheletto
                          7. Parker
                          8. Sneddon
                          9. Madigan
                          10. TimmehTime
                          bs!!

jerry's odds of being there to see your new programs first class graduate? 50/50 at best.

Comment

York - unquestioned
                            Leamen - success at union, good start at PC, strong recruiter
                            Bazin - like what his teams are doing so far
                            Dennehy - could be anywhere from 2-4; doing good work but the mean old Canadians cherry picking doesn't wow me
                            Umile - consistent but never great
                            Madigan - doing pretty good with no talent after losing all of cronin's recruits that fell off the truck. Play BC tough and won some convincing road games last year
                            Parker - jackpa forever
                            Michelletto - incomplete because the team is playing no different than they did for toot
                            Sneddon - boring system and guys constantly quitting
                            Whitehead - beings in better recruits than sneddon but loses them faster. Should be able to capitalize on legacy more than he has
                            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              i've always liked sneddon. he obviously has to take what he can get at uvm.
                              Always? Maybe BU should take a look at him post-Parker. Might be a seamless transition

Comment

Working...
                              X