Major Penalties in the last 5 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Penalties in the last 5 minutes

When is college hockey going to fix the problem of teams taking runs at players in the final minutes of games that are already decided. In a recent St Cloud State game, a Bemidji State player railed a Husky with a dangerous high hit along the boards with 30 seconds left in a 4-1 game. All he gets is a 5 minute major and a game midconduct. So in reality, he gets a 30 second meaningless penalty and a free run at a player. And it happens all the time. If it happens in the final 5 minutes of a game, I believe the player should be out for the entire next game. It is bush league garbage that needs to be cleaned up. Thoughts.....

Re: Major Penalties in the last 5 minutes

Originally posted by Reverse Sanity View Post
    When is college hockey going to fix the problem of teams taking runs at players in the final minutes of games that are already decided. In a recent St Cloud State game, a Bemidji State player railed a Husky with a dangerous high hit along the boards with 30 seconds left in a 4-1 game. All he gets is a 5 minute major and a game midconduct. So in reality, he gets a 30 second meaningless penalty and a free run at a player. And it happens all the time. If it happens in the final 5 minutes of a game, I believe the player should be out for the entire next game. It is bush league garbage that needs to be cleaned up. Thoughts.....
    I thought there was already a thread on this...

However, RPI/Colgate had an issue with this. The biggest problem that I have is that there are some teams that will take dives at the end of the game in order to screw teams over. I seem to remember a player received a three game suspension for one of these hits, while the player he hit played the next week, and even scored a goal.

Comment

No doubt it would have to be judged properly by the officials. And that is where it gets dicey for me. Officiating has been at best inconsistant in the WCHA, and at times down right awful. The Husky/Gopher series may have been the worst weekend of officiating I have seen in a while. So to leave it up to them, yahhh I see your point. Maybe, and I hate adding layers to things, official reviews could be done by the leagues after the game to come up with a rational decision based on what is on the tape. Even as I am typing I am feeling pain in my temple. Maybe the best answer is for players not to be **** heads and play without the bush league stuff.

Comment

When you have a team's two best players hit from behind head first into the boards within seconds of each other and all they hand out is a couple of two minute minors you know nothing is going to change.

Comment

LaBlanc should of got 5. Jenson, although a rough hit, did come from the side so I can see just a little window of that staying a 2. But it easily could have been 5as well. The hit on Morely the night before should have been 5. No penalty when Faragher had his helmet elbowed off is beyond amazing. And to call anything on Murry when he was launched into Wilcox is just plain idiotic. And even the last penalty for the hook on LaBlanc in the final minute. It was a deboweling hook and the idiot standing right there was going to let it go. It took the nuetral zone ref to actually call it. Seriously bad all the way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtn2GoldCountry View Post
            When you have a team's two best players hit from behind head first into the boards within seconds of each other and all they hand out is a couple of two minute minors you know nothing is going to change.
            One of those we got away with, the other was not from behind.
            I agree with something Motzko has said several times this year, if it is a major in the last 5 minutes, automatic DQ.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Reverse Sanity View Post
              ... If it happens in the final 5 minutes of a game, I believe the player should be out for the entire next game. It is bush league garbage that needs to be cleaned up. Thoughts.....
              On Saturday night, Clarkson's Jarrett Burton delivered a bush league cheap-shot away from the puck at 15:25 of the 3rd....in a 6-2 blowout loss to RPI. It followed a cross check to the head that went uncalled. Burton was correctly awarded a 5 + 10 game misconduct. IMO, it warranted a game DQ...doubt the league will follow thru.
              Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                I thought there was already a thread on this...

However, RPI/Colgate had an issue with this. The biggest problem that I have is that there are some teams that will take dives at the end of the game in order to screw teams over. I seem to remember a player received a three game suspension for one of these hits, while the player he hit played the next week, and even scored a goal.
                Get over it.
                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Brian O'Rourke from UNO has them all beat. On Saturday he delivered a check from behind after the final buzzer and got kicked out of a game that was already over. That takes talent!
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I would like to put money on the losing/home team picking up a penalty with less than 2 minutes to go in a game. It seemed to happen to PC every time Army was the coach, and now we've gone on third period ending PP's at BU and UNH when we're tied. It's like the refs are doing wrestling "heel turns".

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                    -Blackadder
                    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                    -Casablanca
                    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      Brian O'Rourke from UNO has them all beat. On Saturday he delivered a check from behind after the final buzzer and got kicked out of a game that was already over. That takes talent!
                      And I know what you're thinking.... that's right, THAT Brian O'Rourke.

Wait, that "T" was supposed to be a "W"

However the Jensen/LeBlanc situation doesn't really fit into this category of what we're talking about. O'Rourke or the hit that a Mansucko player laid on LeBlanc at the end of a drubbing earlier in the year are what we're talking about... last minutes (or in UNO's case after the horn) of a game that they're getting destroyed. You can say what you want about Jensen and LeBlanc and you can call them bad decisions, but they weren't trying to get away with goonery, it was in the 2nd period of a game they were up 2-0.
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                      X