X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part IV: Not A Finished Product Yet

Originally posted by realet View Post
    This week's Engineer Bracketology is out. Other than being in the tournament field (barring league tournament upsets, never a good place to be), not a great deal of good news.
    Thanks for the exhaustive analysis. Makes my head hurt-but 60mg of codeine took care of that. Incredible how single results occurring in leagues far far away can have such a dramatic effect. Without doubt the ideal way is to win 6 in a row right now. I just hate to think about all the little missed opportunites from earlier in the season when we gave up something late or missed an open net. Cudos for the work-makes so even an old codger like me can begin to uderstand.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
      This week's Engineer Bracketology is out. Other than being in the tournament field (barring league tournament upsets, never a good place to be), not a great deal of good news.
      This seems like a glass half full outlook. I like where we are. Dartmouth and Yale can both be flipped based on ECAC playoffs. And prior to that, Yale needs to get by Cornell while DC needs to beat Q. If we continue to play like we have then I think things will shake out in our favor. I also think Niagara is an interesting team to think about. They've not played 10 TUC games so there is no comparison. However, two wins by Air Force at home this weekend puts them close (8 games). If that were to happen, we get our TUC above 500, and then Niagara beats a TUC in the AH semis (a distinct possibility), then we could flip that comparison on the day that Niagara either wins (or loses) Atlantic hockey. Crazy possibilities .....

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
        This seems like a glass half full outlook. I like where we are. Dartmouth and Yale can both be flipped based on ECAC playoffs. And prior to that, Yale needs to get by Cornell while DC needs to beat Q. If we continue to play like we have then I think things will shake out in our favor. I also think Niagara is an interesting team to think about. They've not played 10 TUC games so there is no comparison. However, two wins by Air Force at home this weekend puts them close (8 games). If that were to happen, we get our TUC above 500, and then Niagara beats a TUC in the AH semis (a distinct possibility), then we could flip that comparison on the day that Niagara either wins (or loses) Atlantic hockey. Crazy possibilities .....
        My head hurts like DrD, and I can't prescribe medicines.

I agree that if we keep winning, say split this weekend, get a bye, win two in the semis, and split in AC, we will make it -- unless there is a run of upsets in the other tourneys. It's good to have teams to root for in other games, but there are so many that I would expect them to average out. (Is that correct?) The upsets in other tourneys can be a problem, and I wouldn't be surprised if there will be two of them. (It would be nice if we were one. ) Of course an upset in a tourney could knock someone else out, e.g., if Cornell has righted it's ship and goes on a run, they could knock Yale or DC out instead of us.

Edit: Thanks realet for the analysis, it was appreciated.
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-26-2013, 12:31 PM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          My head hurts like DrD, and I can't prescribe medicines.

I agree that if we keep winning, say split this weekend, get a bye, win two in the semis, and split in AC, we will make it -- unless there is a run of upsets in the other tourneys. It's good to have teams to root for in other games, but there are so many that I would expect them to average out. (Is that correct?) The upsets in other tourneys can be a problem, and I wouldn't be surprised if there will be two of them. (It would be nice if we were one. ) Of course an upset in a tourney could knock someone else out, e.g., if Cornell has righted it's ship and goes on a run, they could knock Yale or DC out instead of us.
          You are referring to upsets by teams not ranked in the 16 PWR. With the exception of AH, just about any team in the top 25 of the PWR that goes on a run and wins their conf will likely make it to the top 16. So we need to look at teams that are outside that window or in AH. It's a definite possibility in AH so it would be great to get above Niagara (go AFA!) just in case. In the ECAC, Cornell does seem like the concern but we can't really think about that too much until the seedings are all set. Although I think we would beat them, I would love to see us in a position where it is not possible for us to face them in the 2nd round (assuming we get a bye). 2nd and 6th seedings would do nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
            This seems like a glass half full outlook. I like where we are. Dartmouth and Yale can both be flipped based on ECAC playoffs. And prior to that, Yale needs to get by Cornell while DC needs to beat Q. If we continue to play like we have then I think things will shake out in our favor.
            That's about all we can hope for right now, though.

I also think Niagara is an interesting team to think about. They've not played 10 TUC games so there is no comparison. However, two wins by Air Force at home this weekend puts them close (8 games). If that were to happen, we get our TUC above 500, and then Niagara beats a TUC in the AH semis (a distinct possibility), then we could flip that comparison on the day that Niagara either wins (or loses) Atlantic hockey. Crazy possibilities .....
            The problem is, not only have they not played 10 TUC games, they've only played five, which is an excessively low number this far into the season. Further, the only non-AHA TUC they've played is Colgate (a game they lost 10-2), and Colgate only barely a TUC themselves.

Air Force and UConn are right there on the outside, but the issue with that is that Niagara swept UConn and already has a win against Air Force - and continuing to beat Air Force over the next two games would hurt the Falcons' chances of becoming a TUC.

So, if UConn and Air Force became TUCs, AND Colgate and Holy Cross stayed TUCs, you'd get to 10 games. It's not a high likelihood. Also, Niagara is probably going to get one, maybe two games against TUCs in the AHA tournament. In some ways, it's better for us if Niagara just plain loses, since that will drop their RPI faster than winning would increase it (given the league they play in). They just have so many wins that if they did manage to get up to 10 TUC games, it would probably only hurt a lot of teams.
            Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

All this talk about upets and flip flops is great, but it gives me a head ache also, And like Ralph, I can't write my own script.
              All I need to know now is we have our destiny in our own hands. Win and we're in. And that is what I am going with until we lose that advantage.We are capable of winning out, so that is what we should be concentrating on, not anyone else. And I would bet that SA is telling the team the same thing.
              Just win.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                All this talk about upets and flip flops is great, but it gives me a head ache also, And like Ralph, I can't write my own script.
                All I need to know now is we have our destiny in our own hands. Win and we're in. And that is what I am going with until we lose that advantage.We are capable of winning out, so that is what we should be concentrating on, not anyone else. And I would bet that SA is telling the team the same thing.
                Just win.
                I didn't say that I can't write a script. I spent enough of my life writing computer code that I am sure that I could learn whatever it takes to do it, but I have better things to do with my time (like my income tax ).
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                  Just win.
                  Of course-but it is a bit of fun to play with all the scenarios. If we win 6 in a row-life would be wonderful. But as WaP points out-position in life is everything. If we do get in and as the last seed-we get the lovely trip out to play Minnesota. Sort of like what happened to us when we last got in-and had to play the worst possible match up for us-a big, fast, NHL draft choice loaded NDak team. I would love to see us get into the tournament-that is my first thought. But if that does happen, I would also love to see us get in with as high a ranking as we can reach so we might avoid the 1 or 2 powerhouses. There is a huge difference between a 16 PWR and an 11 PWR (although i don't think we could ever get that high given our results from earlier this season). I haven't seen us score a goal in the NCAA tournament in 27 years-and I for one, would like that streak to end.

Comment

I didn't say that I can't write a script. I spent enough of my life writing computer code that I am sure that I could learn whatever it takes to do it, but I have better things to do with my time (like my income tax ).
                    Touchy subject-I have to head over to the accountant tomorrow. That will be another good day for medication of some sort for Jenny and I to think about.

Comment

#1) I said that January tells the story...I believe the tie against Q'pac began our upward movement...so I take a small amount of pride in being the blind squirrel finding the nut.

#2) No matter how many games we win right now, in the playoff/s or otherwise...remember the negativity that you should NEVER keep in your heart; these young squires are men of character and will give it their all. It's a very special group and populating this 'gene pool' has been choreographed by a small crew of very special men.

#3) (...and I mean this seriously...) What the HELL is a TUC???? [Blonde moment of the Day]

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                        #3) (...and I mean this seriously...) What the HELL is a TUC???? [Blonde moment of the Day]
                        A Team Under Consideration. That is equivalent currently to having a RatingsPI of .500 .
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Its a Team Under Consideration in the Pairwise Rankings, which ultimately decides the at large teams in the NCAA tournament. To be a TUC you must have a Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) over .500.

Comment

A Team Under Consideration. That is equivalent currently to having a RatingsPI of .500 .
                            Here's our chance to be creative. What does TUC not mean. Tute Undresses Clarkson

Comment

Have to hope also some none tuc does not run the table wins their conference and an automatic bid which would knock the 16th seed out of the tournament.

Comment

So, if I am to understand this terminology, someone in the 'sphere' of influence gets to give us 'consideration' for being 'in the hunt'? Why can't the numbers just do the job? (or am I opening up a can of Bugie12 that I will NEVER for the life of me understand and then get to have FlagDude haunt my world with 'obtuse-ness' that doesn't exist in any other form on the planet?)

Comment

Working...
                                X