X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part IV: Not A Finished Product Yet

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
    I believe that it was a 3-day tournament until the early 80s. We were the only tournament in the country to do this. It became more and more difficult to get teams who wanted to play 3 straight days. So that's why they made it a 2-day affair. Now a lack of sponsorship and the failure of trying to run it during thanksgiving weekend brought it to a sad end.
    Only getting a new sponsor and moving it back to Christmas could possibly bring it back. Of course, there are now a lot of tournaments going on during that time, so getting teams may be difficult.
    Of course-but if we were a nationally ranked team every year and if money enough was offerred, I think some minds could be swayed. it is a different world ow and there is a ton of competition. But if we are looking for exposure nationally, it can only help. As i said, we may never see it again but i sure miss it.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I believe that it was a 3-day tournament until the early 80s. We were the only tournament in the country to do this. It became more and more difficult to get teams who wanted to play 3 straight days. So that's why they made it a 2-day affair. Now a lack of sponsorship and the failure of trying to run it during thanksgiving weekend brought it to a sad end.
      Only getting a new sponsor and moving it back to Christmas could possibly bring it back. Of course, there are now a lot of tournaments going on during that time, so getting teams may be difficult.
      Last 3 day was December 1980 http://www.augenblick.org/chha/t_rpi_01.html.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

As of this post-our PWR is 15 as Brown became a TUC. We could do ourlselves a lot of good next weekend with a coule wins. Darn, a couple of better breaks early this season and we could be ranked 13th and in the NCAA field (Union and QU games tied instead of losses). Just amazing how a couple small things affect these standings so much.

Comment

we just jumped into a 3way tie at #14 in PairWise....still have to see how the late games play out though.... http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...kings/d-i-men/
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

It just feels great to be ahead of Union in the pairwise for the first time in quite a number of years.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
              we just jumped into a 3way tie at #14 in PairWise....still have to see how the late games play out though.... http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...kings/d-i-men/
              We really cannot gain too much by winning the next two games-but we can lose a tremendous amount of our position by losing. We need a lot of help to stay within the NCAA field-we seem to be getting some of the help but we surely need to win the next 2, win a playoff series and perhaps win the first game in AC at the very least(and even that is not a lock for us). Regardless-2 months ago-who could possibly think we would be having this discussion? We have a chance to finsih 2nd in the ECAC-something I don't think we have done in 20 years (but i would have to look that one up).

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                We really cannot gain too much by winning the next two games-but we can lose a tremendous amount of our position by losing.
                Looking quick, Yale & Dartmouth are the two ahead of us we can flip with some wins (and a loss or 2 for them). The comparison with UNO could also flip - root against them. That seems to be about it, though.
                Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by hawthr View Post
                  Looking quick, Yale & Dartmouth are the two ahead of us we can flip with some wins (and a loss or 2 for them). The comparison with UNO could also flip - root against them. That seems to be about it, though.
                  wouldn't we own the tie-breaker with Yale if it came down to it?
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

It just feels great to be ahead of Union in the pairwise for the first time in quite a number of years.
                    Yes it does! Let's see how it's (still) looking after next weekend.
                    Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by hawthr View Post
                      First things first , let's nail down next weekend... a big weekend coming up. Pay attention to details, honor the process and skate our game. And just win, baby.

I just love it when Al Davis comes for a visit.
                      Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                        First things first , let's nail down next weekend... a big weekend coming up. Pay attention to details, honor the process and skate our game. And just win, baby.

I just love it when Al Davis comes for a visit.
                        Big Al will be in a lot of locker-rooms next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                          wouldn't we own the tie-breaker with Yale if it came down to it?
                          Talking about PWR, not league standings. But yes, we hold the league tiebreaker with Yale.
                          Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

The Clarkson game is important-getting some points there could take a little pressure off of saturday night. Union will not be a push over for SLU and could help make Saturday much easier for us. Anyone know what the tie breaker would be for us with dartmouth? if we just get 2 points this weekend and DC gets all 4-we would be tied in points and split the season series. I know we win the tie breaker with Yale based on head to head comparison but not sure how we would do with DC. We seem to be in the driver's seat for 2nd but there are just too many ways for us to slip out of the top 4 for any comfort level just yet.

Comment

On tonight's game thread, someone asked when was the last time we finished second...
                              It was 92/93. For the record, we finished third in 93/94, 97/98, 98/99 and 99/00.
                              Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Last 3 day was December 1980 http://www.augenblick.org/chha/t_rpi_01.html.
                                As RPI fan 4 life noted, it was getting difficult to attract teams to play three straight days. The tournament field in December 1980 included Vasby (a club team from Sweden), Holy Cross (which I'm not sure had even attained Division I status yet), and Maine.

Interesting historical note - The 1980-81 season was Mike Addesa's second as head coach at RPI. By that time, he had procured new uniforms for his team, featuring the ornate style of lettering that is still seen on RPI uniforms today.

Before coming to RPI, Addesa had been the head coach at Holy Cross. When Holy Cross came out onto the Field House ice for that tournament, it was immediately obvious that Addesa had liked that style of lettering for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X