X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part IV: Not A Finished Product Yet

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I just checked on Google Maps, that's about 25 miles.
    Door to door was 31.7 miles for us as we live on the West side of BML and you have to turn off of route 28 to get into downtown North Creek for any of the services. In the winter it can take an hour in the snow. In the summer it was 30 minutes but made the trip once in a tad over 20 in the 911 (would have been faster but you have to watch it going through Indian Lake-they do not have local police but there is a State Police Barracks there and the boys just do not quite understand that with some cars it is hard to go slowly even in second gear.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Door to door was 31.7 miles for us as we live on the West side of BML and you have to turn off of route 28 to get into downtown North Creek for any of the services. In the winter it can take an hour in the snow. In the summer it was 30 minutes but made the trip once in a tad over 20 in the 911 (would have been faster but you have to watch it going through Indian Lake-they do not have local police but there is a State Police Barracks there and the boys just do not quite understand that with some cars it is hard to go slowly even in second gear.
      Here's a story in today's Times Union that the good doctor should find interesting:

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Freight-trains-ply-Adirondack-line-4295379.php

Can't get it to underline so you can just click on it, guess you'll have to look at it the old fashioned way, type it in.
      Last edited by RPI fan 4 life; 02-21-2013, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
        Here's a story in today's Times Union that the good doctor should find interesting:

http://www.timesunion.com/business/a...ne-4295379.php

Can't get it to underline so you can just click on it, guess you'll have to look at it the old fashioned way, type it in.
        FYP a
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          FYP a
          Thanks guys-the Adirondack history is fascinating. It is definitely worth a trip to the Adirondack Museum on the lake in Blue Mountain Lake. When we first moved up there we explored as much as we could, climbed as many of the peaks, drove down roads that we never though we could get through. But a visit to the Museum give syou a chance to see and hear all about the days of the Great Camps. Vanderbilt, Durant, Rockefeller, Merriweather-Post, et al. built some incredible places and lived a lifestyle that is beyond what most of us could ever dream about. Sagamore, Eagle's Nest, the Point, just some incredible places. As I mentioned in an earlier post-just a visit to the barton Mines to do some garnet mining is a great way to spend some time.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            It used to be fantastic and family run. You could virtually just pull up in front and park. North Creek was where we had to travel to go to a bank, food shop, etc from Blue Mt Lake. Just a great little place. If anyone gets to the area-find some time to go up and do some garnet mining at the barton mines. You can find some incredible gemstones-and while up there-have lunch or dinner at the High Winds restaurant.
            Very true Doc...My brother had his kitchen counters quarried at Barton...beautiful granite with ruby red garnet mixed in ... great stuff!
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              Very true Doc...My brother had his kitchen counters quarried at Barton...beautiful granite with ruby red garnet mixed in ... great stuff!
              First time we walked into the High Winds restaurant on top of Gore-we immediately notice the stone fireplace that went from floor to ceiling-with many of the rocks made of solid garnet. We paid a small fee to do some mining up there-found lots of nice quality stones that Jenny had made into jewelry (earrings and a pendant). I had thought garnets were always that beautiful dark red color. But Jenny found one amber colored one and a fe green ones (never even knew they existed) which she took to a local jeweler down here in NJ for appraisal and found them to be the most valuable stones we got up there. Your brother's kitchen counters must be fabulous.

Comment

With RPI holding a six point lead and a head-to-head tiebreaker over ninth-place Brown and only four games left in the regular season, it looks like a pretty safe bet that RPI will host a series on either the first or second weekend of the ECAC playoffs.

It looks like spring break will begin at the conclusion of classes on March 8 and conclude with the resumption of classes on March 18, so those home playoff games, whichever weekend they take place, will fall during spring break.

For current or previous members of the band - would the members of the band be likely to stick around a few extra days after the beginning of the break and play at a series on the first weekend if the team finishes between fifth and eighth? Would the members of the band be likely to return a few days early and play at a series on the second weekend if the team finishes between second and fourth?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                  With RPI holding a six point lead and a head-to-head tiebreaker over ninth-place Brown and only four games left in the regular season, it looks like a pretty safe bet that RPI will host a series on either the first or second weekend of the ECAC playoffs.

It looks like spring break will begin at the conclusion of classes on March 8 and conclude with the resumption of classes on March 18, so those home playoff games, whichever weekend they take place, will fall during spring break.

For current or previous members of the band - would the members of the band be likely to stick around a few extra days after the beginning of the break and play at a series on the first weekend if the team finishes between fifth and eighth? Would the members of the band be likely to return a few days early and play at a series on the second weekend if the team finishes between second and fourth?
                  I'm not a manager so this isn't official but I highly doubt there's any way we wouldn't be at men's playoffs - home or away. Spring break might lower our numbers but without some sort of outstanding circumstances keeping us away, we'll be there.

Comment

Originally posted by RKarger View Post
                    I'm not a manager so this isn't official but I highly doubt there's any way we wouldn't be at men's playoffs - home or away. Spring break might lower our numbers but without some sort of outstanding circumstances keeping us away, we'll be there.
                    Although it is entirely the managers' call because it is your band, alumni are always willing to help. I remember playing in 08-09 during the Cornell series at Lynah (as much as we've heard about game 2, game 1 was a real goalie battle slug fest).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Although it is entirely the managers' call because it is your band, alumni are always willing to help. I remember playing in 08-09 during the Cornell series at Lynah (as much as we've heard about game 2, game 1 was a real goalie battle slug fest).
                      Of course, we know we've got a lot of alumni ready to pull on a rugby and jump into action. But, unlike my class year and the year after me, we actually got a large class of freshmen this year, so we haven't been nearly as tight on numbers. In the beginning of the season we managed to have a full road trip band at Harvard/Dartmouth and a band at home at football and women's hockey at the same time. Some people may not be able to get to the game thanks to pre-existing break plans but I know some of us (hi lugnut92) including me have been working out our vacation around hockey, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

While not an alum, I'm ready. I play a mean triangle.
                        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

That is outstanding -- and that attitude is to be applauded. I would be each and every member the bevie of their choosing -- as state and local laws allow !
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            That is outstanding -- and that attitude is to be applauded. I would be each and every member the bevie of their choosing -- as state and local laws allow !
                            BTW, it's National Margarita Day today.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Of course, we know we've got a lot of alumni ready to pull on a rugby and jump into action. But, unlike my class year and the year after me, we actually got a large class of freshmen this year, so we haven't been nearly as tight on numbers. In the beginning of the season we managed to have a full road trip band at Harvard/Dartmouth and a band at home at football and women's hockey at the same time. Some people may not be able to get to the game thanks to pre-existing break plans but I know some of us (hi lugnut92) including me have been working out our vacation around hockey, not the other way around.
                              Are most of them somewhat local as well, or intend to stick around? I know that was one problem that was experienced in between after I graduated and you came into play.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                While not an alum, I'm ready. I play a mean triangle.
                                I have heard a mean skin flute too. You set yourself up for that and had to know it was coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X