X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part IV: Not A Finished Product Yet

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
    I think some people on here worry themselves too much about the TUC and RPI stats. When we win the ECAC tourney none of it will matter as we will get an automatic bid into the tourney. I like our chances of doing so the way we have been playing. The past is the past lets move forward and keep playing the way we have and if we do I think our chances are great.

Let's Go Red!!!
    Good thought-but i would love to have the luxury of knowing we had another way into the tournament. These kids are talented and work incredibly hard and deserve every chance for that.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I think some people on here worry themselves too much about the TUC and RPI stats. When we win the ECAC tourney none of it will matter as we will get an automatic bid into the tourney. I like our chances of doing so the way we have been playing. The past is the past lets move forward and keep playing the way we have and if we do I think our chances are great.

Let's Go Red!!!
      We have to get there first. Since the adoption of the Union rule, there's only one team that has never made it to the ECAC semifinals. Actually, with QPac now guaranteed the Cleary cup, there's also only one team that has never achieved a first-round bye since the adoption of the Union rule. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's focus on Yale, and see if we can get #993.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        Can you imagine where we would be standing if we could actually convert when we are 5 on 3? We are just so much more effective 5 on 4 and even 5 on 5. It is almost like we are afraid to move and stay on the periphery passing around with no one moving through the center.
        Did you notice in the interview even SA said we were useless on the 5 on 3?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          I don't think it would. They'd still be ahead of us in RatingsPI (currently 0.03 ahead, I don't know if that's quite enough for a flip with a tie), making it 3-2 instead of 4-2. All ties are broken by RatingsPI, despite TBRW's formula (they use H2H), so we still have the opportunity to flip the comparison. We just need to finish ahead of them in the league to get COP, and their mickey mouse schedule will hurt when it comes to % vs. TUC.

The biggest focus, though, is taking it to Yale tonight. 992, we want more!
          Dude-I am just not mathematical enough to figure it out-perhape ralph or B12 can help-but i think if we flip the QU game to a tie and the Union game to a tie-we could be PWR ranked into the tournament if the rankings concluded today(or at least right on the bubble). It is of course all mind games since we have more games to play-but it would just point out how important 2 little episodes were for this season.

You are right on the button though-Yale is now priority number 1 and we will need to be energetic and smart.

Comment

Did you notice in the interview even SA said we were useless on the 5 on 3?
            I don't think much gets by him. He is one sharp cookie. Whether he can implement some sort of change in how we approach that 5 on 3 situation-and as importantly, how we approach attacking when we are forced to pull the goaltender (another area where we are just abyssmal) is another thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              And if we had not given up that short handed goal to Quinnipiac when we had the 5 on 3 for us late in the game-and settled for a tie? i would guess we would move up at least 3 spots and be threatening for an NCAA bid or at least very close to the bubble. Sometimes it is just one play in one game that can make such a difference.
              Spot on Doc - we would be 16th in the PWR if that first QPac game was a tie. If we beat Yale tonight then we may get there anyhow - or at least close to it.

Comment

Good thought-but i would love to have the luxury of knowing we had another way into the tournament. These kids are talented and work incredibly hard and deserve every chance for that.
                I agree but when it comes down to it I doubt the committee is going to give an at large bid to an ECAC team like 2 years ago. Look at BU and ND in the national polls. ND was 2nd in the nation at Xmas break. They have been playing terrible since and every game I have seen on TV since Xmas they have lost, including last night, and they still are being voted into the top 20. Same thing with BU, they have not been playing well either but because they are who they are they keep getting votes.

Also when I travel for games, one of them being the Princeton game, I find it funny to hear people in the rinks say "Who is Rensselaer?" And have the time they can't pronounce it right. For some reason even though we have 2 national championships people still don't know who RPI hockey is.

Comment

I don't think much gets by him. He is one sharp cookie. Whether he can implement some sort of change in how we approach that 5 on 3 situation-and as importantly, how we approach attacking when we are forced to pull the goaltender (another area where we are just abyssmal) is another thing.
                  I think the guys have figured out the way around the problem when we pull the goaltender. Don't be behind with less than 2 mins left in the game!

Comment

*****http://i971.***********.com/albums/ae197/GRussinko/31225122_zps79c15e67.jpg******
                    APBWiki

Comment

One thing I saw, and I remember a televised Union/Yale game a couple of years ago where this was the case for Union as well and they were unsuccessful; I think we closed in too far, giving us no room to work and making shot blocks easy. I fully understand why it's more important to get more speed on a slap shot, but that's assuming you can actually get it on net. Our biggest asset with a power play is open ice and space. Why not make them work to defend? This is why our 3-2 power play has been so much more effective than our 4-1. Why go to the 4-1 when it hasn't worked in the past?

Comment

I agree but when it comes down to it I doubt the committee is going to give an at large bid to an ECAC team like 2 years ago. Look at BU and ND in the national polls. ND was 2nd in the nation at Xmas break. They have been playing terrible since and every game I have seen on TV since Xmas they have lost, including last night, and they still are being voted into the top 20. Same thing with BU, they have not been playing well either but because they are who they are they keep getting votes.

Also when I travel for games, one of them being the Princeton game, I find it funny to hear people in the rinks say "Who is Rensselaer?" And have the time they can't pronounce it right. For some reason even though we have 2 national championships people still don't know who RPI hockey is.
                        The committee no longer adds subjectivity, unlike basketball. The process is completely computer objective. You could have made the same case about us going to the national tournament two years ago.

Comment

Don't make any crazy suggestions here Doc. SA will probably pull the goalie and try 6 on 3!

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                            Don't make any crazy suggestions here Doc. SA will probably pull the goalie and try 6 on 3!
                            He's done it before. Remember the Miami series in 07-08?

Comment

Kasdorf is a stud
                              I love non tv games
                              It's a shame rpi cant do like valley cats do with all there giveaways and promo stuff to fill the hfh on off nights like vs brown or Princeton
                              Reffing was good again
                              Miller is a work horse
                              I like the line combos
                              1 game at a time
                              I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Here's a nice stat - RPI is 8/19 on the power play during this 5 game winning streak - 42.1%

The penalty kill during this same time has been 14/17 (82.35%), about where it has been all year.
                                Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X