Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    On the right side, there's a long hallway that mirrors the walkway above it on the concourse. The Havoc have the side on the left (closer to the ice), and while I've never been in their room (but have peeked in), they have the bigger room. UAH is on the right, further away from the ice, in a terrible area that just isn't suited for a team over 24 players. It's always been terrible, and I expect that it's no better now than it was 20 years ago; I know it's very little better than it was a decade ago when I was in there all the time doing radio.
    It's been a long time since I've been in that area, but in the mid-'90s they weren't that far from the ice. When I delivered shot charts to the coaches, it would be go down to the skate lobby, turn left to that hall, nudge open the first door on the right, hand the chart to a coach, done. It seems (to me at least) they've been pushed further back.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      *****http://www.wolfkeeper.org/board/images/smilies/banghead.gif******

Un. *ing. Believable.

Very frustrating. Watching MLB.tv (on AppleTV though) is so worth the price, and makes it absolutely easy to watch multiple games a night. Would easily have plunked down $50 or $70 for a season worth of WCHA.tv.

Even MiLB.com offers a TV package... for $30 only!
      We made the tiny mistake of purchasing a Roku XS/HD before actually looking into the Apple TV. We love our Roku but Apple TV would have been a better fit. How are you watching MLBA? Ipad, Iphone etc?
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

We don't need that. You can golf year-round here.

GFM
        you can golf year round in BG as well, Campus Golf Course in the warm months indoor golf training center for the cold months. There's also dorm mini golf as well.
        Bring Back the Glory...

1984 NCAA National Champions
        2 members of the "Miracle on Ice" 1980 Hockey Team

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
          It's been a long time since I've been in that area, but in the mid-'90s they weren't that far from the ice. When I delivered shot charts to the coaches, it would be go down to the skate lobby, turn left to that hall, nudge open the first door on the right, hand the chart to a coach, done. It seems (to me at least) they've been pushed further back.
          Yeah, it's in the same place. It's just that there's not a lot depth to that room. The obvious candidate for expansion is that little office that's there to the right just inside the skate lobb door. It juts into one corner of the room, specifically where guy in the back sit. It would be great to have a seating area that didn't have a nook.

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          We made the tiny mistake of purchasing a Roku XS/HD before actually looking into the Apple TV. We love our Roku but Apple TV would have been a better fit. How are you watching MLBA? Ipad, Iphone etc?
          I have both; I wanted to try the Roku based on the discussions of hockey streaming. I actually prefer the Roku most of the time unless I'm using stuff in the Apple stack, which I do (he says, typing on an Air with an iPhone in his pocket).

Originally posted by BG_Falcons View Post
          you can golf year round in BG as well, Campus Golf Course in the warm months indoor golf training center for the cold months. There's also dorm mini golf as well.
          Okay, you can golf outdoors all-year-round in Alabama. It's one of our many charms.

GFM <— the only problem that you might have here about not seeing a shed is if it's overgrown and needs to be bush-hogged.
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            I should clarify, the MiLB.tv package is for computers and iPhone/iPod only (unless someone made a channel for Roku/etc.) but every AAA team's home games all season are only $30.

If I had a new iPad/iPhone/iPod I may be able to utilize Airplay and stream the broadcast to the AppleTV that way.

I kinda wish I jumped aboard the NHL Gamecenter deal at the start of the season. Anyway; all I was alluding to in my post is that while I support my University, I would rather purchase an all inclusive WCHA.tv package, instead of trying to piecemeal day-passes / 1 month subscriptions together to watch my team.

Would it really have been that hard to offer a simulcast of the individual feeds under one streaming umbrella? Purchase single games/full team seasons through your school... Or get every WCHA game for $XX
            Last edited by aparch; 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

BSU has released its Season Ticket Information for the 2013-14 WCHA Hockey Season. Season tickets will be starting at $275 for next year, a reduction of $70 from this past season!

http://www.bsubeavers.com/tickets/seasontickets/
              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I kinda wish I jumped aboard the NHL Gamecenter deal at the start of the season. Anyway; all I was alluding to in my post is that while I support my University, I would rather purchase an all inclusive WCHA.tv package, instead of trying to piecemeal day-passes / 1 month subscriptions together to watch my team.

Would it really have been that hard to offer a simulcast of the individual feeds under one streaming umbrella? Purchase single games/full team seasons through your school... Or get every WCHA game for $XX
                GCL was the best $50 I spent this year, even if I lost about 20% of the Bruins games to NHL Network.

I agree that you should be able to get single-game deals, team passes, and league passes. They'd do best with watching archived games in-season. If I'm at UAH-BSU, that doesn't mean that I don't want to watch BGSU-FSU Friday night while I'm sobering up or Saturday morning while I'm nursing a hangover.

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                BSU has released its Season Ticket Information for the 2013-14 WCHA Hockey Season. Season tickets will be starting at $275 for next year, a reduction of $70 from this past season!

http://www.bsubeavers.com/tickets/seasontickets/
                We're at $192 for our 16-game season. That per-game price is up 20%, but we can't jump much higher even with the biggest D-I home slate that we've ever had.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

We're at $192 for our 16-game season. That per-game price is up 20%, but we can't jump much higher even with the biggest D-I home slate that we've ever had.

GFM
                  These prices are the lowest that BSU has had in eight years I think. So that is three years at the Sanford Center as part of the WCHA and then five years at the Glas in the CHA.

With the 20 game home schedule, that is $13.75 a game. There is also an exhibition game against Manitoba if you want to count that, but I didn't. I would guess that when single game tickets go on sale, the Minnesota and North Dakota games will be at least $30, while others will probably be in the $15-$20 range. But, that is just a guess on my part......
                  Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

I should clarify, the MiLB.tv package is for computers and iPhone/iPod only (unless someone made a channel for Roku/etc.) but every AAA team's home games all season are only $30.

If I had a new iPad/iPhone/iPod I may be able to utilize Airplay and stream the broadcast to the AppleTV that way.

Here is a perfect example why the WCHA should have their own Roku/Apple TV "channel". It would be huge for the growth of the game and more importantly help the WCHA brand. Even though I am a Gopher supporter I still would purchase it for the Roku/Apple TV. You hear that Macleod?
                    Last edited by 4four4; 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Even if you said that all the schools have rights to their own video's, and the league puts the games up 24 hours late, you can't tell me that the school would not benefit by doing so. I mean how many teams get any revenue a day after the event is over.

It is what it is though. Hopefully the league will not have fossil viewpoints like this in other areas.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I think that, if we want something like a Roku channel (you're not getting into the Apple stack with the dollar amounts we're seeing ... by 100x), we're going to have to provide a proof of concept. Those who can, do; those who can't, complain on message boards.

These prices are the lowest that BSU has had in eight years I think. So that is three years at the Sanford Center as part of the WCHA and then five years at the Glas in the CHA.

With the 20 game home schedule, that is $13.75 a game. There is also an exhibition game against Manitoba if you want to count that, but I didn't. I would guess that when single game tickets go on sale, the Minnesota and North Dakota games will be at least $30, while others will probably be in the $15-$20 range. But, that is just a guess on my part......
                        We've never done differential pricing. I'd like to think that we could do it v. SCSU and the Beavs, but the plain truth is that we're playing to (at best) a half-fill barn, and we need to get 4k in the doors before we start doing anything. In fact, I will be surprised if the home opener against Bemidji and one of the St. Cloud games aren't giveaway nights. We're working on increasing Saturday night attendance during football season, too. The splits are pretty strong, especially when we're up against Auburn and Alabama home games and/or one of them on national TV in the night-time slot, which happens a lot lately with the Tide.

Bit by bit, step by step, we'll rebuild this baby.

GFM <— just hopes to still be living here.
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

You are in a unique situation regarding differential pricing. UAH has a 6000 seat barn to fill and no real close rival. Differential pricing worked in the old WCHA due to:

1. The size of the barns. BSU only has 4375 seats to fill.
                          2. Proximity of the opponent and the ability of their fan base to travel.
                          3. The demand from the "casual" fan that wants to see the "big names".

That probably won't work with the new league, but it will still have the potential to work in non league games.
                          Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

You are in a unique situation regarding differential pricing. UAH has a 6000 seat barn to fill and no real close rival. Differential pricing worked in the old WCHA due to:

That probably won't work with the new league, but it will still have the potential to work in non league games.
                            BG had differential pricing for OSU, UofM, State, and maybe Notre Dame (I forget). But even those games were only $13 for general admission...
                            With no close rivals in the nWCHA, doubt it'll work going forward. Oh yeah, except for next season's OSU game.
                            Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Yeah, I think the only difference will be going down on Saturdays during football season.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

UAH would go if I gave them a hard enough push and had them a place to land. They want something for all sports. Do y'all want to help me run this to ground for us as a hope that we'll spur the league on to doing it for everyone? It'd be just like our old ASID going up to Lipscomb U in Nashville and being the first non-BCS school to do ESPN3.

GFM
                                ESPN3 is trying to gobble up exclusive content left and right, college hockey seems to be a natural place to start that. But it's VERY cost intensive (a from-scratch ESPN3 setup will run $300-400k)
                                UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                                2006 Time Person of the Year
                                Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                                It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Working...
                                X