No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Clarkson & SLU (2/8, 2/9)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI & Union @ Clarkson & SLU (2/8, 2/9)

Originally posted by aweise View Post
    The other spot to be wary of is Route 30 between Tupper Lake and Long Lake. Believe me...I spent 5 years going back & forth between Potsdam and Albany and that stretch of the trip was the most treacherous during snow storms. Winding roads, roller coaster hills, and sharp turns are the norm.

Safe travels!
    You picked about the most dangerous area around. Not hilly but you can be cruising along and suddenly in the snow you are in fog so dense you cannot see the lake or the bridge. There were times we drove that stretch at 20mph max-we stayed in second gear most of the way. As long as you are alone on the road it is mostly OK-it is the other drivers you ahve to be wary of.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      From the National Weather Service for Potsdam/Canton region:
      Tonight (Thurs.) Snow, mainly after 11pm. Low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -4. Northeast wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Friday Snow. High near 20. Wind chill values as low as -3. Blustery, with a northeast wind 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Friday Night Snow, mainly before 3am. Low around 5. Wind chill values as low as -13. Northeast wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Saturday A 30 percent chance of snow before 7am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 18. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

GO RPI !
      Looks like light dustings to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        It was indeed 18 in New York and some others, but I don't think it was 18 in most states.
        It wasn't in Connecticut. Students at Bridgeport College used to always go over to NY.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          The past few winters have been kind of mild with few big accumulations and only short bursts of really cold weather. Going back though, we have some horror stories of traveling around the 'Dacks. Worst was March of 1993 when over a few days we got 103" total (March 13-15??). Interestingly-the roads were always clear within about 2 hours of any snowfall.
          We were prepared for Blizzard '93. Were you around for the Great Ice Storm of '98?

Comment

Seth Appert on SLU-t & Clarkson....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNZCt...layer_embedded Fri. refs, Mike Baker/Kevin Graber....linesmen, Andy Petrus/Joe Testa........Saturday refs, Baker/Chris Ciamaga.....linesmen, Ryan Knapp/Petrus. RPI Gamenotes http://www.rpiathletics.com/document...LK.pdf?id=1458
            Last edited by turk181; 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM.
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              We were prepared for Blizzard '93. Were you around for the Great Ice Storm of '98?
              We were up there for '98. Everyone lost power-some for weeks. Our little Hamlet of BML was only out for a couple days-i do not understand why we were spared that time. I have a 35Kw generator up there running Liquid Propane. We had a 500 gallon tank about 80% filled and at full tilt use about 5 gallons per hour. Jenny and I took turns shutting it down so that it would not run out of fuel in the 80 hours that it would last. But after 3 days we had used up only about 200 gallons and were refilled. In the 30+ years we have owned up there we have seen just about everything and anything. Huge snowfalls, microburst winds (I think they had something call a Duracho once), temps down to -30 and lower, etc. We once drove over to the Stillwater Inn for dinner near the Stillwater Reservoir and they reported a temp of lower than -40 (that is as far as their thermometer would go). No wonder the bear all hibernate starting around November!

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                Seth Appert on SLU-t & Clarkson....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNZCt...layer_embedded Fri. refs, Mike Baker/Kevin Graber....linesmen, Andy Petrus/Joe Testa........Saturday refs, Baker/Chris Ciamaga.....linesmen, Ryan Knapp/Petrus. RPI Gamenotes http://www.rpiathletics.com/document...LK.pdf?id=1458
                Thanks Turk-Happy not to see Kotyra up there but I don't have a real feel for the kinds of games these officials call. hopefully these are not penalty filled contests-i still just feel we are a better team in games that we don't have to spend much time on special teams. It would seem agian that it is just a matter of match ups-SLU has some really talented offensive players and we have to find a way to match up against them and cut down their chances.

Comment

You picked about the most dangerous area around. Not hilly but you can be cruising along and suddenly in the snow you are in fog so dense you cannot see the lake or the bridge. There were times we drove that stretch at 20mph max-we stayed in second gear most of the way. As long as you are alone on the road it is mostly OK-it is the other drivers you ahve to be wary of.
                  When you're sliding all over the place, yes. Once you got through that stretch and hit Long Lake, things were generally easier to handle...not that it wasn't difficult, but not as treacherous as the Tupper-Long Lake trip. I knew people who coordinated their trips home to stay close to each other in the event something happened. Of course, at least one of those cars were pickup trucks or something with 4WD/AWD.

Ah...memories...
                  Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                    When you're sliding all over the place, yes. Once you got through that stretch and hit Long Lake, things were generally easier to handle...not that it wasn't difficult, but not as treacherous as the Tupper-Long Lake trip. I knew people who coordinated their trips home to stay close to each other in the event something happened. Of course, at least one of those cars were pickup trucks or something with 4WD/AWD.

Ah...memories...
                    Even in the summer-we always made sure someone knew when and where we were traveling. There are long stretches up there especially heading out of Long Lake (both north and east) where there is nothing-no homes, no services, no electricity, no cell phone coverage. In the summer however, if you break down or have some sort of mishap-it will be an inconvenience (minor or major). But if it happens in the winter with temps well below zero or in the heavy snow-it could be fatal. i always felt the most difficult winter driving was the streth from BML heading west throug Raquette Lake and continuing on to Inlet. But it was always worth the trip just to go a bit further and dine at the Seventh Lake House.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                      I think I've been a bit unfair to Baker in the past because of one call, although he does tend to call fairly tight games (probably to stay in control). Graber and Ciamaga I don't recall seeing all that much; either they're new, only work the North Country , or they're so good that I don't even recognise them. Should be a good set of games.

Comment

We were up there for '98. Everyone lost power-some for weeks. Our little Hamlet of BML was only out for a couple days-i do not understand why we were spared that time. I have a 35Kw generator up there running Liquid Propane. We had a 500 gallon tank about 80% filled and at full tilt use about 5 gallons per hour. Jenny and I took turns shutting it down so that it would not run out of fuel in the 80 hours that it would last. But after 3 days we had used up only about 200 gallons and were refilled. In the 30+ years we have owned up there we have seen just about everything and anything. Huge snowfalls, microburst winds (I think they had something call a Duracho once), temps down to -30 and lower, etc. We once drove over to the Stillwater Inn for dinner near the Stillwater Reservoir and they reported a temp of lower than -40 (that is as far as their thermometer would go). No wonder the bear all hibernate starting around November!
                        Most of my town didn't lose power at all. Granted, we did for 5 days because we're on the edge of the town grid, and of course they don't connect between the two towns. A line was down over the road anyway (but still OK to drive over). Telephone was fine.

Comment

We once drove over to the Stillwater Inn for dinner near the Stillwater Reservoir and they reported a temp of lower than -40 (that is as far as their thermometer would go).
                          Centigrade or Fahrenheit?
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            I think I've been a bit unfair to Baker in the past because of one call, although he does tend to call fairly tight games (probably to stay in control). Graber and Ciamaga I don't recall seeing all that much; either they're new, only work the North Country , or they're so good that I don't even recognise them. Should be a good set of games.
                            In my experience with Baker, he is not the worst, but I think he is the most influenced by the crowd. He seems to make a lot of calls based on the noise and not on what he actually sees. JMO.
                            I really don't know the other two refs.
                            The crowd could have a lot to do with what is called this weekend. Curadi could have a problem if he hits someone too hard into the boards even if Baker doesn't see it, he will call the noise.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              In my experience with Baker, he is not the worst, but I think he is the most influenced by the crowd. He seems to make a lot of calls based on the noise and not on what he actually sees. JMO.
                              I really don't know the other two refs.
                              The crowd could have a lot to do with what is called this weekend. Curadi could have a problem if he hits someone too hard into the boards even if Baker doesn't see it, he will call the noise.
                              He's also been known to toss a few expletives, as I recall a censor on a certain network did not catch, even in the on demand archive. I wonder if Stewie actually did address that with those refs after that game...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                It was indeed 18 in New York and some others, but I don't think it was 18 in most states.
                                It varied from state to state. Illinois was 21 and Wisconsin was 18 which meant many of my peers in senior year in high school made regular road trips across the border. Massachusetts was 18 when I was in college there.

Congress passed the "National Minimum Drinking Age Act" in 1984, according to Wikipedia. While Congress lacked the Constitutional authority to regulate the drinking age directly (Bill of Rights 10th Amendment); they skirted their lack of direct authority by inserting a provision in the Federal Aid Highway Act that said that any state that had a drinking age less than 21 would lose 10% of its Federal apportionment of highway funds for every year under 21.

From the Wikipedia article:

Between 1970 and 1975, 29 states lowered the MLDA from 21 to 18, 19, or 20. This was primarily due to the passing of the 26th Amendment which lowered the required voting age from 21 to 18.
                                Last edited by FreshFish; 02-08-2013, 08:31 AM.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X