No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Clarkson & SLU (2/8, 2/9)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI & Union @ Clarkson & SLU (2/8, 2/9)

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    If by any chance you drive through BML-and have to climb that hill by the Adirondack Museum on Rte 30 (or come back that way) take extra caution. There are more cars off the road in that stretch than any where. Also if you have some time on the trip I can give you directions and you can help dig out our driveway The fellow who plows us out has already this winter dug us out 9 separate times (albeit many of those were small 3-6 inch accumulations).
    The other spot to be wary of is Route 30 between Tupper Lake and Long Lake. Believe me...I spent 5 years going back & forth between Potsdam and Albany and that stretch of the trip was the most treacherous during snow storms. Winding roads, roller coaster hills, and sharp turns are the norm.

Safe travels!
    Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Safe travels to all who venture forth. Metro-North Railroad and the State of Connecticut Dept of Transportation are giving us advance warning of how to respond to a big snowstorm.

I'm of two minds about these advance warnings:
      > 8 or 9 years ago, then-Gov Rowland closed the interstate to trucks in anticipation of a "big storm" that never came. It was sunny and cloudless that day and cost trucking companies a lot of money not being able to be on the road.
      > when Superstorm Sandy was making its way up the coast, there were dire predictions of what could happen in NJ, NY, and CT, and they were pretty much spot on.

We'll all know by tomorrow night (or Saturday morning) how severe it is.

I really hope the bus will arrive before nightfall. Sun-caused snow melt during the day freezes very quickly once the sun gets low in the sky. Dusk is the most dangerous time of day to be on the road anyway, and icy roads at dusk are even worse.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
        The other spot to be wary of is Route 30 between Tupper Lake and Long Lake. Believe me...I spent 5 years going back & forth between Potsdam and Albany and that stretch of the trip was the most treacherous during snow storms. Winding roads, roller coaster hills, and sharp turns are the norm.

Safe travels!
        Amen to that. I was through there a couple of weeks ago and drove into a snow squall -- cars off the road everywhere. Ten miles down the road, the sun was out....welcome to the ADKS.!
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Safe travels to all who venture forth. Metro-North Railroad and the State of Connecticut Dept of Transportation are giving us advance warning of how to respond to a big snowstorm.

I'm of two minds about these advance warnings:
          > 8 or 9 years ago, then-Gov Rowland closed the interstate to trucks in anticipation of a "big storm" that never came. It was sunny and cloudless that day and cost trucking companies a lot of money not being able to be on the road.
          > when Superstorm Sandy was making its way up the coast, there were dire predictions of what could happen in NJ, NY, and CT, and they were pretty much spot on.

We'll all know by tomorrow night (or Saturday morning) how severe it is.

I really hope the bus will arrive before nightfall. Sun-caused snow melt during the day freezes very quickly once the sun gets low in the sky. Dusk is the most dangerous time of day to be on the road anyway, and icy roads at dusk are even worse.
          Reminds of a story about D.C. Mayor Marion Barry...No,not THAT story. I'm sure RB recalls it -- The good mayor was vacationing in the tropics somewhere and in his absence, the city was hit with a huge snowstorm and D.C. being D.C., they were of course ill-prepared for it. When reached by a reporter via telephone, seeking the Mayor's plan for action, he responded: " ...It'll melt !"
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            Reminds of a story about D.C. Mayor Marion Barry...No,not THAT story. I'm sure RB recalls it -- The good mayor was vacationing in the tropics somewhere and in his absence, the city was hit with a huge snowstorm and D.C. being D.C., they were of course ill-prepared for it. When reached by a reporter via telephone, seeking the Mayor's plan for action, he responded: " ...It'll melt !"
            He was in California for a Superbowl. The good news was that the Giants won. The bad news was that he eventually returned.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good news for North Country travelers, perhaps?

From Associated Press:

The National Weather Service said most of southern New England could see anywhere from 18-24 inches between Friday and Saturday, and some other forecasts cautioned that totals could be even higher. Suffolk County in New York was under a blizzard watch, as were parts of Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

New York City was expecting between 4 and 6 inches of snow.
              Looks like it will mostly be coastal.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Up here in Canton right now they are predicting between 1-2 feet of snow between tonight and Saturday morning.

Safe travels everyone and Let's Go Saints!
                Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Comment

From the National Weather Service for Potsdam/Canton region:
                  Tonight (Thurs.) Snow, mainly after 11pm. Low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -4. Northeast wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Friday Snow. High near 20. Wind chill values as low as -3. Blustery, with a northeast wind 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Friday Night Snow, mainly before 3am. Low around 5. Wind chill values as low as -13. Northeast wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Saturday A 30 percent chance of snow before 7am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 18. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

GO RPI !
                  Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 02-07-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

From the National Weather Service:
                    Tonight (Thurs.) Snow, mainly after 11pm. Low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -4. Northeast wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Friday Snow. High near 20. Wind chill values as low as -3. Blustery, with a northeast wind 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Friday Night Snow, mainly before 3am. Low around 5. Wind chill values as low as -13. Northeast wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Saturday A 30 percent chance of snow before 7am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 18. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

GO RPI !
                    The storm is supposed to hit the New England coast the hardest and be "less heavy" as you go inland, but you really don't need much snow for it to be dangerous up there. I at least hope the teams are headed up there tonight and for anyone driving up tomorrow, please be careful. I remember one trip coming south through an all-day storm where I didn't top 40mph at any stretch. It took me almost 7 hours to get to Albany.
                    Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

The storm is supposed to hit the New England coast the hardest and be "less heavy" as you go inland, but you really don't need much snow for it to be dangerous up there. I at least hope the teams are headed up there tonight and for anyone driving up tomorrow, please be careful. I remember one trip coming south through an all-day storm where I didn't top 40mph at any stretch. It took me almost 7 hours to get to Albany.
                      The aforementioned forecast from the NWS was for the local Potsdam/Canton metro area....

Comment

The aforementioned forecast from the NWS was for the local Potsdam/Canton metro area....
                        Isn't "metro" a bit of a stretch?
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It took me almost 7 hours to get to Albany.
                          A good friend of mine went to Colgate (hey, don't blame him, his father went there too, and neither of them followed college hockey).

One of his fraternity brothers kept track of driving time in a rather unusual fashion....he once said, "the weather was so bad, it took me a whole six-pack to get here [Hamilton] from Albany."

The world was a different place back then, in more ways than one. That was also when it was legal for 18-year olds to purchase alcohol in most states....
                          Last edited by FreshFish; 02-08-2013, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            The world was a different place back then, in more ways than one. That was also when it was legal for 18-year olds to purchase alcohol in most states....
                            It was indeed 18 in New York and some others, but I don't think it was 18 in most states.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Funny, I don't remember anything about that age 18 thinking drink.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                                Can't even begin to ballpark the number of times I have gone through that area to various hockey games while growing up. As long as you give yourself plenty of time and go slow, it really isn't bad in snowstorms. As has been said, they do keep the main roads in decent shape.

DrD: we have a hunting camp off 458 between nicholville and St. Regis falls, close to the lake ozonia rd. We have always said there seems to be a perpetual cloud dropping snow on that area from Christmas to Easter
                                The past few winters have been kind of mild with few big accumulations and only short bursts of really cold weather. Going back though, we have some horror stories of traveling around the 'Dacks. Worst was March of 1993 when over a few days we got 103" total (March 13-15??). Interestingly-the roads were always clear within about 2 hours of any snowfall.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X