Hockey East is Ruining a Really Good thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East is Ruining a Really Good thing

I'm really looking forward to next week. UMass (currently in 7th place in Hockey East) is hosting Northeastern (currently tied for 9th place). There are four points that separate the two teams and whoever wins gets the tie breaker. It's a huge game because only the top 8 make the playoffs. If UMass wins, there's plenty of breathing room. UMass will have the tiebreaker over at least two teams behind them (NU and UVM). If Northeastern wins, it has the tiebreaker and only 2 points separate the two. It might be the biggest game of the year up to this point.

For similar reasons, I've circled the two games Maine comes to Mullins Center at the end of the year. I'm eagerly anticipating them.

In the future, it won't be a huge game. Both teams will be out of home ice contention and every team will make the playoffs anyway, so who really cares if you are the 7th seed or 9th?

With the exception of a year or two, UMass hockey has been mediocre to bad since I've been following them. Each year, people predict UMass will miss the playoffs, and so far, every year since I've been following, they've made it anyway. I'm proud of that. I have lots of good memories of winning the last weekend to get into the tournament. Last year, they beat Merrimack on Senior night to clinch a spot. I believe it was two or three years ago where UMass went up to Maine and Justin Braun put the team on his back and the Minutemen swept the Black Bears to get the last spot. Another year, UMass tied Maine on the last night and that extra point got them into the tournament. The players celebrated like they had accomplished something, cause they had. They got into the post season. They earned that right.

As a fan of a team who is usually in the bottom half of Hockey East, I hate that every team will make the playoffs from now on. It takes away meaning from the regular season. I live in Boston and have season tickets to UMass hockey. I only make about half of the home games, but I have them to support the program. I will be at the NU game this Friday and both those Maine games, cause they are huge this year. Next year? I don't know. Maybe I only go to 1 or 2 of them.
    #NewMass

Re: Hockey East is Ruining a Really Good thing

Wait, I thought we were going to use the ECAC format... 1-8 would have a home series... 1-4 will draw a bye
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      Wait, I thought we were going to use the ECAC format... 1-8 would have a home series... 1-4 will draw a bye
      It's a 2 stage transition, with Notre Dame and UConn coming in staggered.
      Next year the top 5 will get the bye, and the bottom 6 will fight for 3 slots.
      in 14-15, top 4 get the bye, bottom 8 fight for 4 slots.

I somewhat get the point that with everyone playing, no one will be fighting to get in. But look at it like this - to fight to be in the top 4 gets you the bye. The middle 4 are still a slot to fight for if you're coming from the bottom. You're still looking for home ice in the prelim round, and there's always the game of who do you want to seed against.
      Hit Somebody!

Comment

Have they released the design for the participation trophy yet? Something tasteful in crystal perhaps?
        Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Originally posted by BU2K View Post
          Have they released the design for the participation trophy yet? Something tasteful in crystal perhaps?
          Its permanently installed at Volpe.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
            Its permanently installed at Volpe.
            Still bitter about Friday? It's okay, I'm sure you'll get over it one day.
            Last edited by REDMEN2002; 02-03-2013, 12:49 PM.
            National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
            Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
            Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
            two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
            b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

I totally agree with you. I think the only way to remedy this would be to disband the UMass Amherst team and merge it with Lowell. Why have two state schools competing for the same recruits?
              Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
              I'm really looking forward to next week. UMass (currently in 7th place in Hockey East) is hosting Northeastern (currently tied for 9th place). There are four points that separate the two teams and whoever wins gets the tie breaker. It's a huge game because only the top 8 make the playoffs. If UMass wins, there's plenty of breathing room. UMass will have the tiebreaker over at least two teams behind them (NU and UVM). If Northeastern wins, it has the tiebreaker and only 2 points separate the two. It might be the biggest game of the year up to this point.

For similar reasons, I've circled the two games Maine comes to Mullins Center at the end of the year. I'm eagerly anticipating them.

In the future, it won't be a huge game. Both teams will be out of home ice contention and every team will make the playoffs anyway, so who really cares if you are the 7th seed or 9th?

With the exception of a year or two, UMass hockey has been mediocre to bad since I've been following them. Each year, people predict UMass will miss the playoffs, and so far, every year since I've been following, they've made it anyway. I'm proud of that. I have lots of good memories of winning the last weekend to get into the tournament. Last year, they beat Merrimack on Senior night to clinch a spot. I believe it was two or three years ago where UMass went up to Maine and Justin Braun put the team on his back and the Minutemen swept the Black Bears to get the last spot. Another year, UMass tied Maine on the last night and that extra point got them into the tournament. The players celebrated like they had accomplished something, cause they had. They got into the post season. They earned that right.

As a fan of a team who is usually in the bottom half of Hockey East, I hate that every team will make the playoffs from now on. It takes away meaning from the regular season. I live in Boston and have season tickets to UMass hockey. I only make about half of the home games, but I have them to support the program. I will be at the NU game this Friday and both those Maine games, cause they are huge this year. Next year? I don't know. Maybe I only go to 1 or 2 of them.

Comment

I say just add Quinnipiac and we can have an odd team out tourney .....and then kick UConn out of Hockey Rast.
                sure why not

Comment

I agree. I don't understand the point of the regular season if you don't eliminate a few teams from post-season play. At the end of the regular season this year there will be only four teams eliminated from becoming the national champ: Penn State, Huntsville, and two teams from Hockey East. That's it. In my opinion, a twelve-team league should only take six or eight teams to their tourney, a six-team league should only take four. I get why they do it - it's all about the Benjamins. People say that eliminating teams isn't fair to them. I say not eliminating teams isn't fair to those that have done well enough to deserve to go on.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                    I say just add Quinnipiac and we can have an odd team out tourney .....and then kick UConn out of Hockey Rast.
                    this is a great idea...............and jjmc85, there should be more like you

Comment

ORANGE SLICES FOR EVERYONE!!!!!
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                        ...People say that eliminating teams isn't fair to them. I say not eliminating teams isn't fair to those that have done well enough to deserve to go on.
                        +1. And this from a fan of a team that, more often than not, is on thre outside looking in.
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                          I agree. I don't understand the point of the regular season if you don't eliminate a few teams from post-season play. At the end of the regular season this year there will be only four teams eliminated from becoming the national champ: Penn State, Huntsville, and two teams from Hockey East. That's it. In my opinion, a twelve-team league should only take six or eight teams to their tourney, a six-team league should only take four. I get why they do it - it's all about the Benjamins. People say that eliminating teams isn't fair to them. I say not eliminating teams isn't fair to those that have done well enough to deserve to go on.
                          Perfectly said...
                          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Follow the money ....

Comment

What I will not like is Hockey East teams playing one another only twice during the regular season (not counting tourneys, etc.). I thought that the whole point in the formation of Hockey East in 1985 (?) was the opportunity to play more games against one another, not fewer?

Comment

Working...
                              X