PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

5mn_Major
06-05-2013, 03:46 PM
B1G is very careful with whom it creates relationships.

JHU was asked for three reasons - benefit to members (ie, B1G network), stellar performance and the big picture.

Maryland and Rutgers have been added and it would be a big benefit for new members and for the B1G to add a new spectator sport. Adding JHU puts the conference over the top. Hopkins competes with Maryland in college lacrosse's most historic rivalry, the two teams having met more than 100 times.

The team was founded in 1883 and is the school's most prominent sports team. The Blue Jays have won 44 national championships including nine NCAA Division I titles (2007, 2005, 1987, 1985, 1984, 1980, 1979, 1978, 1974), 29 USILA titles, and six ILA titles.

Johns Hopkins pioneered the concept of the modern research university in the United States and has ranked among the world's top of such universities throughout its history. The National Science Foundation (NSF) has ranked Johns Hopkins #1 among U.S. academic institutions in total science, medical and engineering research and development spending for 31 consecutive years. As of 2011, thirty-seven Nobel Prize winners have been affiliated with Johns Hopkins.

Between 1999 and 2009, Johns Hopkins was among the most cited institutions in the world. It attracted nearly 1,222,166 citations and produced 54,022 papers under its name, ranking #3 globally (behind Harvard University and the Max Planck Society) in the number of total citations published in Thomson Reuters-indexed journals over 22 fields in America. From a selfish point of view, JHU's medical school will fit in nicely with departments such as the U of MN medical school with its loose ties to the Mayo Clinic.

No...the B1G won't be adding UND for hockey.

jdmaxim23
06-05-2013, 04:00 PM
B1G is very careful with whom it creates relationships.

JHU was asked for three reasons - benefit to members (ie, B1G network), stellar performance and the big picture.

Maryland and Rutgers have been added and it would be a big benefit for new members and for the B1G to add a new spectator sport. Adding JHU puts the conference over the top. Hopkins competes with Maryland in college lacrosse's most historic rivalry, the two teams having met more than 100 times.

The team was founded in 1883 and is the school's most prominent sports team. The Blue Jays have won 44 national championships including nine NCAA Division I titles (2007, 2005, 1987, 1985, 1984, 1980, 1979, 1978, 1974), 29 USILA titles, and six ILA titles.

Johns Hopkins pioneered the concept of the modern research university in the United States and has ranked among the world's top of such universities throughout its history. The National Science Foundation (NSF) has ranked Johns Hopkins #1 among U.S. academic institutions in total science, medical and engineering research and development spending for 31 consecutive years. As of 2011, thirty-seven Nobel Prize winners have been affiliated with Johns Hopkins.

Between 1999 and 2009, Johns Hopkins was among the most cited institutions in the world. It attracted nearly 1,222,166 citations and produced 54,022 papers under its name, ranking #3 globally (behind Harvard University and the Max Planck Society) in the number of total citations published in Thomson Reuters-indexed journals over 22 fields in America. From a selfish point of view, JHU's medical school will fit in nicely with departments such as the U of MN medical school with its loose ties to the Mayo Clinic.

No...the B1G won't be adding UND for hockey.

Well said.... That pretty much sums it up dead on in my opinion. All these people who think that the Big Ten wants to or needs to (laughable) add ANY hockey affiliates, much less UND needs to follow reality a little more closely when it comes to the money trail and the driving force of the CIC, Research and academics. Is UND a great hockey program? absolutely, but they offer nothing else of value to the Big Ten. Just my opinion though

kingdobbs
06-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Neither RPI nor North Dakota have anything to offer the B1G, in terms of markets.

And neither does anyone else in college hockey, frankly.

There's about 4 Top 30 markets which are in college hockey the B1G doesn't already tap into, and the reason I say Top 30 is because one of them is literally #30 (Hartford-New Haven)*; the others being Boston, Chicago, and Denver. The rest of them (Philly, Detroit, Minny-St. Paul, Pittsburgh and Cleveland, plus Milwaukee, Cincinnati and Columbus just outside the Top 30) are already B1G country.

So, for all practical purposes, if the B1G insists that markets be a factor for any teams they want to add, in addition to academic bonafides, that leaves about five choices: BC, BU, Notre Dame, Denver and UConn. Only one of those is AAU (BU), and only Notre Dame is contiguous (by my understanding, it is per se not a strict requirement, but they haven't "jumped" to add a non-contiguous state yet in any of their expansions beyond ten: Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers).

Meaning: the B1G isn't adding a hockey school unless it's a current full member starting a team.

*And I say that loosely because while New Haven is decently invested in college hockey, the Hartford area is not (UConn has a chance to change this, but banking on it would be a very far long-term investment), which means that the market doesn't have much depth to it.

Patman
06-06-2013, 01:38 AM
And neither does anyone else in college hockey, frankly.

There's about 4 Top 30 markets which are in college hockey the B1G doesn't already tap into, and the reason I say Top 30 is because one of them is literally #30 (Hartford-New Haven)*; the others being Boston, Chicago, and Denver. The rest of them (Philly, Detroit, Minny-St. Paul, Pittsburgh and Cleveland, plus Milwaukee, Cincinnati and Columbus just outside the Top 30) are already B1G country.

So, for all practical purposes, if the B1G insists that markets be a factor for any teams they want to add, in addition to academic bonafides, that leaves about five choices: BC, BU, Notre Dame, Denver and UConn. Only one of those is AAU (BU), and only Notre Dame is contiguous (by my understanding, it is per se not a strict requirement, but they haven't "jumped" to add a non-contiguous state yet in any of their expansions beyond ten: Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers).

Meaning: the B1G isn't adding a hockey school unless it's a current full member starting a team.

*And I say that loosely because while New Haven is decently invested in college hockey, the Hartford area is not (UConn has a chance to change this, but banking on it would be a very far long-term investment), which means that the market doesn't have much depth to it.

I just look at it as the continuing hypocritical slide and how they've let so many things bend that they say they wouldn't do.

Never ever be reasonable [in] assuming some known academic [reason].

5mn_Major
06-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Markets are really the only aspect that would hold any interest for the B1G in a potential hockey affiliate. And the only market worth anything to the B1G in hockey is Boston. The only school for affiliation that would be close is BC and even then, I'm sure BC to the B1G in hockey is no big deal. Also, I don't see it as enough of a win for BC. Hockey east is no slouch and the only real prize for BC (if they even want it) is B1G membership for the whole school. And for that, they will be keeping two of the few carrots that they possess: their hockey team and Boston...for negotiation chips.

Alton
06-06-2013, 06:01 PM

I will add a fourth reason: because B1G lacrosse had exactly 5 members (Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers). If the Big Ten had four lacrosse teams or six lacrosse teams, I strongly suspect they wouldn't have been interested in JHU. But that sixth team is the difference between having a conference and not having a conference, so the search for an affiliate member became much more important.

That might be the main reason the Big Ten isn't interested in affiliate hockey members: they don't need them.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
06-06-2013, 06:25 PM
That might be the main reason the Big Ten isn't interested in affiliate hockey members: they don't need them.At the end of the day, this is my final answer to the question of whether the Big Ten would add affiliates for hockey. Unless they needed one for an auto-bid (and they don't), I don't see why they would.