PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

bigmrg74
06-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Johns Hopkins might be a one off. They are a D3 school who happens to be a D1 power in lacrosse and is arguably one of the best academic and research schools in the country.

The Big tens growth in hockey will occur only through schools adding varsity programs ie (Illinois, Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland) or adding a D1 FBS school with good academics that already has a mens varsity program. The only ones of those that aren't currently in the Big ten for hockey currently are Army, Air Force, Boston College, or Notre Dame and I highly doubt any of those schools with the possible exception of Notre Dame would join the Big ten in the near future.Yeah, about the only other program out there that would fit that bill would be North Dakota, but now with them moving up to D1-AA, I don't really see it happening. That, and well, the fools down in Fargo would do everything within their power and then some to fight them getting into the BTHC as they would see it as a back door way to becoming a full Big Ten Member in the future. You know, sometime after the great Zombie near-Apocalypse. :D

Patman
06-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Well... It's.... True.

Johns Hopkins to join Big Ten for lacrosse. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/lacrosse-blog/bal-johns-hopkins-lacrosse-program-to-join-big-ten-20130602,0,1998652.story)

but, but, but, they'd never make convenient exceptions!

MGoBlueHockey
06-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Here they come folks. Let's bring em in.

North Dakota? CC? Denver? Miami? BC? Come on down!

Since the stuffed shirts perched in their ivory towers in Chicago want good academic institutions, I suppose Miami and BC could be a possibility.

MaizeRage
06-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Here they come folks. Let's bring em in.

North Dakota? CC? Denver? Miami? BC? Come on down!

Since the stuffed shirts perched in their ivory towers in Chicago want good academic institutions, I suppose Miami and BC could be a possibility.

Again, of the above list, only CC would be able to join, and does the Big Ten really want or need CC for their hockey conference?

ExileOnDaytonStreet
06-03-2013, 12:01 PM
I was convinced that something like this would never happened, but after what's gone down in the last four years or so, I suppose I should be numb to this sort of thing by now. Maybe the B1G would consider an associate member for hockey (given the criteria extended to John's Hopkins... I don't know... RPI could be a candidate?). I'd like to think that, since the BTHC has the requisite 6 members that it won't happen since it's not necessary. But I have no idea anymore.

BCHF
06-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Program would have to be bringing something very special, like Hopkins did in the form of reputation, grant money...#1 in research funding nationally, and top shelf performance.
I agree, North Dakota would be the closest.

joecct
06-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Yeah, but John Hopkins is a pretty respectable school with a great D1 Lacrosse program. And a hell of a medical school. But the rest of the Blue Jay's athletic program is D3. No way they would extend this type of offer to the Irish. The Big Ten wants Irish football in the fold.RIT is next? :)

MGoBlueHockey
06-03-2013, 01:33 PM
People in B1G country act like this is the end of the world. B1G is adding a program the caliber of Michigan in Hockey and creating two more sports the conference sponsors as a result of it.

JHU and Michigan are very similar. They both have rich histories going back decades. They both have the most national titles in their sport. This was the first year in forever that both teams missed their respective in NCAA Tournaments.

Other big time conferences have affiliates to enhance their conferences standing in that sport. Look at the Pac-12 for example. Boise State, Cal Poly and Cal State Bakersfield in wrestling, Cal Poly & UC-Santa Barbara in Men's swim.

Come on.....it's not like we are adding Rutgers.....oh wait.....:rolleyes:

Oh and by the way, the B1G has now wrecked 3 conferences. The CCHA, the ECAC Lacrosse League and the American Lacrosse Conference (women's).

Pink Pony
06-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Boston College and UCONN

vizoroo
06-03-2013, 03:48 PM
People in B1G country act like this is the end of the world. B1G is adding a program the caliber of Michigan in Hockey and creating two more sports the conference sponsors as a result of it.

JHU and Michigan are very similar. They both have rich histories going back decades. They both have the most national titles in their sport. This was the first year in forever that both teams missed their respective in NCAA Tournaments.

Other big time conferences have affiliates to enhance their conferences standing in that sport. Look at the Pac-12 for example. Boise State, Cal Poly and Cal State Bakersfield in wrestling, Cal Poly & UC-Santa Barbara in Men's swim.

Other than the people from those schools no one in Pac-12 country is even aware of that. And if they were they would be appalled. JHU would probably not like to be in the same breath as Boise, or Bakerfield, for sure.

Come on.....it's not like we are adding Rutgers.....oh wait.....:rolleyes:
:o

Oh and by the way, the B1G has now wrecked 3 conferences. The CCHA, the ECAC Lacrosse League and the American Lacrosse Conference (women's).

Prime impetus for forming the NCHC. WCHA still exists, but....it certainly won't be the same.

Pink Pony
06-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Prime impetus for forming the NCHC. WCHA still exists, but....it certainly won't be the same.

The WCHA wont be the same but I believe with the right people in charge and knowledge of the teams involved in the league it will stand on its two feet.

With a lot of strong NC games against the Big for the WCHA the stregnth of schedule will not be any different then when they faced the likes of Denver, CC and ND. Instead they are the teams playing Minnesota, Michigan, MSU, OSU and Wisconsin.

MGoBlueHockey
06-03-2013, 08:55 PM
If there are going to be any new members to B1G Hockey, it is either gonna be ND finally giving in and joining the B1G or it will be an associate member for hockey-only.

I heard through the grapevine that CORNELL was or is talking to the B1G about joining for select sports like hockey, lacrosse etc.

bigmrg74
06-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Program would have to be bringing something very special, like Hopkins did in the form of reputation, grant money...#1 in research funding nationally, and top shelf performance.
I agree, North Dakota would be the closest.Yeah, its hard not to think that an invitation to the CIC is going to be coming in soon as well. Adding JHU to that is going to be huge for them there. More than enough to make happy the stuff shirts academic types that got their panties in a knot because Nebraska got in just before they got booted from the AAU or whatever else it was because their Medical school isn't on their main campus or something like that??

BCHF
06-04-2013, 07:13 AM
At the end of the day...it is usually about the money, follow the money trail and it explains the actions. The grant funding was a "key" catalyst in this most recent addition to the big ten.

Jasma
06-04-2013, 11:27 AM
I was convinced that something like this would never happened, but after what's gone down in the last four years or so, I suppose I should be numb to this sort of thing by now. Maybe the B1G would consider an associate member for hockey (given the criteria extended to John's Hopkins... I don't know... RPI could be a candidate?). I'd like to think that, since the BTHC has the requisite 6 members that it won't happen since it's not necessary. But I have no idea anymore.

RPI would fit in there academically just about as well as JHU. I see two issues that will keep RPI out of consideration for the Big 10. first, though the program has a long, proud history, including two national titles, it doesn't match up to JHU's LAX Cred. Also, the travel costs for RPI would be prohibitive.

As for North Dakota, I don't believe they match up academically with the other Big 10 schools. Honestly, I would say Miami is the most likely addition if the Big 10 does in fact want more one-sport members. I agree that they don't need to go that route. They have enough for an AQ spot and they can afford to wait and see if more members (Nebraska, Missouri, Rutgers) add hockey.

aparch
06-04-2013, 11:48 AM
I thought the MAC conference is Div 1? Miami isn't a play-up school.

WiscDC
06-04-2013, 12:15 PM
I thought the MAC conference is Div 1? Miami isn't a play-up school.

Yes, Miami is fully D-I.

moose97
06-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Wild speculation:

The main impetus for Big 10 expansion so far has been TV markets - New York and DC with Rutgers and Maryland. Of the college programs out there, which would give the Big 10 Network another major (top 20) market that they're not in currently? Outside the Boston market (I just can't possibly see BU/BC/Harvard/Northeastern going that route for hockey), that leaves DU and CC tapping into TV market #18.

Again - wild speculation on my part, but it at least follows what the Big 10 has been doing up to this point.

matt
06-05-2013, 09:58 AM
If there are going to be any new members to B1G Hockey, it is either gonna be ND finally giving in and joining the B1G or it will be an associate member for hockey-only.

I heard through the grapevine that CORNELL was or is talking to the B1G about joining for select sports like hockey, lacrosse etc.

Must be the one hell of a weird grapevine.
As a member of the Ivy League, Cornell cannot offer athletic scholarships. In any sports.
Were Cornell to be talking to another D1 league in any sport, that would mean that they would be considering leaving the Ivy League altogether.
I would expect the likelihood of that to be somewhere between 0 and negative.

matt
06-05-2013, 10:03 AM
RPI would fit in there academically just about as well as JHU. I see two issues that will keep RPI out of consideration for the Big 10. first, though the program has a long, proud history, including two national titles, it doesn't match up to JHU's LAX Cred. Also, the travel costs for RPI would be prohibitive.

As for North Dakota, I don't believe they match up academically with the other Big 10 schools. Honestly, I would say Miami is the most likely addition if the Big 10 does in fact want more one-sport members. I agree that they don't need to go that route. They have enough for an AQ spot and they can afford to wait and see if more members (Nebraska, Missouri, Rutgers) add hockey.

Neither RPI nor North Dakota have anything to offer the B1G, in terms of markets.