PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Almington
02-02-2013, 07:16 PM
This is who should be added:
DU
CC
UND
ND
UMD
MTU

No other teams have the required history to even be mentioned.

4four4
02-02-2013, 09:59 PM
This is a bad idea. Why give a program free branding? In fact if they are not AAU members they should not be admitted as an affiliate. Delaney just say NO!

Greyeagle
02-02-2013, 10:02 PM
For Ohio State?
No, that was Woody Allen.

UNH09
02-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Lacross can go catch on fire and die for all I care after what it did to that regional semifinal game I really wanted to watch between Nodak and UNH like 4 years ago.

That was 4 years ago already?!?!?! Crap I am getting old.

5mn_Major
02-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Whatever schools are added will be based on expanding the reach of the B1G into certain markets and areas of the country. It is ALL based on money.

That's the deal. Money. Big national brands. Fan base demographics.

That's why NCHC/WCHA teams to BTHC would never happen. The avid pro hockey/B1G fan in Philly, Chicago or NYC who might just get turned on to college hockey has no interest in Denver or UND.

Hockeybuckeye
02-03-2013, 12:21 PM
There is one thing that I've been wondering about that hasn't come up and that's if all these "super conferences" come into being would they have the ability to defy the NCAA if they felt the need?

5mn_Major
02-04-2013, 06:48 PM
There is one thing that I've been wondering about that hasn't come up and that's if all these "super conferences" come into being would they have the ability to defy the NCAA if they felt the need?

My guess is that they wouldn't defy the NCAA as the NCAA plays an important role in terms of regulations, organization, day to day management, etc. Rather I suspect the super conferences would just take more control of the key tourney decisions and cash.

Hockeybuckeye
02-04-2013, 09:05 PM
My guess is that they wouldn't defy the NCAA as the NCAA plays an important role in terms of regulations, organization, day to day management, etc. Rather I suspect the super conferences would just take more control of the key tourney decisions and cash.My thoughts on this were how much would or could such a super conference stand up to the NCAA defending one of it's members if the NCAA went insane on punishments breaking it's own bylaws doing it say using what they did to Penn State as an example?

Freddie
02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
OK, I've read thru all 5 pages of this thread, and there is still one question that nobody has offered an answer to; what possible reason would BIG have for wanting to add affiliate members to their hockey conference?

darker98
02-04-2013, 10:35 PM
OK, I've read thru all 5 pages of this thread, and there is still one question that nobody has offered an answer to; what possible reason would BIG have for wanting to add affiliate members to their hockey conference?
None! They have a conference, but I'd think they'd want Notre Dame as an affiliate if they could get them.

4four4
02-05-2013, 12:39 AM
None! They have a conference, but I'd think they'd want Notre Dame as an affiliate if they could get them.

I have to disagree. The big ten will not invite anybody unless they bring all their sports to the conference.

darker98
02-05-2013, 12:48 AM
I have to disagree. The big ten will not invite anybody unless they bring all their sports to the conference.
Kind of meant that as the point. This is only for Lacrosse anyways, right?

pgb-ohio
02-05-2013, 01:06 AM
OK, I've read thru all 5 pages of this thread, and there is still one question that nobody has offered an answer to; what possible reason would BIG have for wanting to add affiliate members to their hockey conference?Well, there's at least one "possible reason." Six teams is really too small for a conference. Is six viable? Yes. Is it ideal? Far from it.

With that said, my feeling is that the conference is better off in the long run holding out for full members. So I'm hoping 4four4 is correct. But in the short run, a couple of affiliate members would increase the number of schools to eight. A quick fix, if you will.

Since there is a plausible motive, it makes sense to have the conversation...

MinnesotaNorthStar
02-05-2013, 01:22 AM
The way I'm reading it is that the only reason they're considering Johns Hopkins is to form a lacrosse conference. I would guess that if they had enough for one, they wouldn't. Since they have enough for hockey, they won't add affiliate members.

Almington
02-05-2013, 02:26 AM
Well, there's at least one "possible reason." Six teams is really too small for a conference. Is six viable? Yes. Is it ideal? Far from it.

With that said, my feeling is that the conference is better off in the long run holding out for full members. So I'm hoping 4four4 is correct. But in the short run, a couple of affiliate members would increase the number of schools to eight. A quick fix, if you will.

Since there is a plausible motive, it makes sense to have the conversation...

Personally, 7 teams would be ideal: 24 conference games and 10 NC games. Enough NC games to feed existing rivalries and a perfectly balanced conference schedule. 6 would be my next choice. After that you need to get to 12 and have a schedule similar to the ECAC where everyone plays everyone else (4 against a rival) for 24 conference games.

5mn_Major
02-05-2013, 09:53 AM

As said, the B1G won't add any teams to hockey esp Notre Dame. No team really benefits the B1G in terms of hockey (again, schools like DU and UND are small market schools with no national rep). The relationship with Notre Dame is way too complex. Why in the world would the B1G invite Notre Dame to join the BTHC when its a non starter in all other sports? The only thing Notre Dame means to the B1G is football and its looking like that ship has sailed.

SCSU Euro
02-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Starting to feel like Kevin Bacon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro

Dirty
02-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Starting to feel like Kevin Bacon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro

I like how you always link to Youtube videos because you don't know how to embed them. It amuses me.

SCSU Euro
02-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I like how you always link to Youtube videos because you don't know how to embed them. It amuses me.

I like how your fantasy team sucks every year. You wanna tell me how to embed it? 'Cause if it takes more than 8 seconds to learn, I don't care.

Dirty
02-05-2013, 10:59 AM
I like how your fantasy team sucks every year. You wanna tell me how to embed it? 'Cause if it takes more than 8 seconds to learn, I don't care.

Below video click Share --> Click Embed --> Copy all that kooky code ---> Paste all that kooky code. Voila, you are done Radio Boy.