PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

GopherBigGuy911
02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
North Dakota would be an ideal add to me and no-brainer. They bring a tremendous program, fan support and it makes geographical sense. If Neb or iowa ever decide to add hockey, they'll be right around them. Plus, they bring a women's program which would create a B1G women's conference at 6 members (including Michigan).

If No Dak had gone Full time D-1 in the early to mid 90's and they were currently a BCS school - I would much rather have No Dak in the Big Ten as a full member than any of the new clown schools they added.

MGoBlueHockey
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Why do people want johnny come lately Miami (OH) for anything? Ben Rapelisberger is the only famous player from there, and they aren't a national brand in any way.

Have you ever heard of Bo Schembechler?

MinnesotaNorthStar
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Have you ever heard of Bo Schembechler?Nope. Should I?

Spartanforlife4
02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Have you ever heard of Bo Schembechler?

He's a famous coach, not a famous player. :D

Red Cows
02-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Nope. Should I?

Thanks for making me feel VERY old.

Dirty
02-01-2013, 12:51 PM

For Ohio State?

MGoBlueHockey
02-01-2013, 12:53 PM

Their selling point in their "brand" is them being the cradle of coaches.

aygwm2
02-01-2013, 12:54 PM
For Ohio State?

Here we go...

(Woody Hayes)

JF_Gophers
02-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Their selling point in their "brand" is them being the cradle of coaches.When someone says Miami or Miami University, I'd think Florida not Ohio. So their brand is failing (They don't want people to use "of Ohio").

Sure Miami, FL is officially The University of Miami, not Miami University. However the average person will not care about that distinction.

MUhawks628
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Sure Miami, FL is officially The University of Miami, not Miami University. However the average person will not care about that distinction.

Reading this board has taught me Big Ten schools are the pinnacle against which all shall be judged, surely the fans of such fine institutions fall above the mean as well, no? ;)

JF_Gophers
02-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Reading this board has taught me Big Ten schools are the pinnacle against which all shall be judged, surely the fans of such fine institutions fall above the mean as well, no? ;)Even if you count all of the fans of the B1G as above average, that still leaves several hundred million as lesser beings. ;)

Stauber1
02-01-2013, 02:05 PM
This would be a GREAT conference:

Wisconsin
Michigan
North Dakota
Denver
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Minnesota

One can dream...

That would be one hell of a conference.
It's far-fetched to say the least, but it would be entertaining to see how quickly DU would throw CC's belongings out on the front lawn if they ever got that call.

But then again, CC probably fits the Big 10 mold for academics better than UND does. So why not:

Wisconsin
Michigan
CC
Denver
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Minnesota

;)

MGoBlueHockey
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
That would be one hell of a conference.
It's far-fetched to say the least, but it would be entertaining to see how quickly DU would throw CC's belongings out on the front lawn if they ever got that call.

But then again, CC probably fits the Big 10 mold for academics better than UND does. So why not:

Wisconsin
Michigan
CC
Denver
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Minnesota

;)

Wow. Has a real band is back together feeling. Michigan, minny, NoDak, Denver, CC and state were all apart of the original WCHA.

Would be hilarious if for 60 years, all this conference shifting that was taking place resulted back where it started.

I don't know how funny it would be for the less-than schools that kind of got left behind though.

SanTropez
02-01-2013, 04:27 PM
This would be a GREAT conference:

Wisconsin
Michigan
North Dakota
Denver
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Minnesota

One can dream...

Yes!

Please make this happen Hockey gods...

Hockeybuckeye
02-01-2013, 04:32 PM
When someone says Miami or Miami University, I'd think Florida not Ohio. So their brand is failing (They don't want people to use "of Ohio").

Sure Miami, FL is officially The University of Miami, not Miami University. However the average person will not care about that distinction.Miami of Ohio was a university before Florida was even a state!

Hockeybuckeye
02-01-2013, 04:55 PM
For Ohio State?Don't even go there!

magpie
02-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm not going to read the whole thread (so I apologize if it's been said), but...

If the B1G is to add affiliate programs, obviously they would pick programs 1) in high level markets, 2) with decent facilities/attendance, 3) mediocre programs.

This will allow lots of income, but keep the official members in the spotlight (Minn/Mich/etc). NoDak, for example, would not work because (though they would bring in revenue), they are respectable enough to make State(s)/Sconnie bottom feeders. Delany knows that we need all the B1G teams to fill the top spots traditionally.

Hockeybuckeye
02-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Whatever schools are added will be based on expanding the reach of the B1G into certain markets and areas of the country. It is ALL based on money.

Spartanforlife4
02-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Whatever schools are added will be based on expanding the reach of the B1G into certain markets and areas of the country. It is ALL based on money.

Texas to D-1?

Rtn2GoldCountry
02-02-2013, 05:28 PM
UNO and UMD should be on the list of possible affiliate members if the B1G does in-fact do this. Both universities are "sister-schools" of current B1G members.