Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Recruit Updates: All Are Welcome.......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Recruit Updates: All Are Welcome.......

Originally posted by BobF View Post
    Maine is losing Diamond, Beattie, Shemansky, Liedermark at forward. Nemec, Cornell, Pryor on D. That is 7. They also said good-bye to Parker and if memory serves after Mangene left late Timmay announced they would not replace his spot. So that is 6 forwards and 3 D.

Now we have Rutt, Norman and have had Riley all play forward this year. I think Williams did for a game as well. And we are scoring less goals than ever quelle surprise!

As a result I expect them to replace all 6 forwards plus 1 as on the d side we will likely bring in just 2.

So I do expect:

Morgan
    Brown
    Gjurich
    Byron
    Campbell
    Henke
    and
    Gleinke at forward

This gives Maine 16 forwards which is fairly common.

on D

Renouf and perhaps Schurhamer.

The big issue I have been watching on D is everyone except O'Connor would be lefties as that is the case with these two. How we recruit only left handed D-men is beyond me?

The following year you lose Swavely, Anthoine, O'Connor and two goalies. Expect Pecararo and Salerno and maybe Cloonan if we lose a forward like Shore or for any other reason.

While the present has been brutal, the future with the current freshmen class and what looks like a strong class next year COULD be good depending upon who is behind the bench and what they can get out of them.
    I think you nailed the projected the forward core on the head. My only question is whether Cerretani is back next year. He's been a bust so far after racking up big numbers in Prep school and being pursued by other Hockey East schools like BU. If he doesn't come back, I wonder if Ryan Cloonan might be brought in this fall. I don't think that Badger will be here in the fall for sure. He struggled this year between Youngstown (USHL) and the Jr. Warriors (EJHL). If he doesn't turn it up next year he might be pushed back as a Class of 2015 player or just let go period. Salerno also had a tough year in Waterloo (USHL) and is listed as either as a 2013 or 2014 player. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he was one the league's younger player and was still able to put up ok numbers, but not great. After next year we lose only Anthoine and J. Swavely for forwards. So I would expect only Roberto and Pecararo to be part of the forward core. But we will see.

As for defense: We lose Cornell, Nemec, and Pryor. As of now, we have Renouf and Schurhamer lined up for school this fall, with Bjorkung coming the following fall. Like you mentioned, we are over-loaded with left-shot defensemen. Cornell and Nemec are both righties and Pryor a lefty. That leaves O'Connor as our only right shot defenseman. Now, someone mentioned Schurhamer maybe spending another year with Lincoln in the USHL next year. I don't think this is such a bad idea. He missed a ton of time with an injury and the time he has played, he has seemed to struggle as well. I'm not sure Bjorkung is ready either, but he has played much much better since being traded from Fargo to Sioux Falls. Even if they decide to bring him in, both him and Renouf are lefties. Combine that with Rutt, Hutton, Riley, Norman, Williams and you have 7 left shot d-men and only 1 righty in O'Connor. They desperately need to land a right shot defenseman for next fall. I think Riley, Norman, and Williams have been shakey so picking up 2 right shot d-men wouldn't hurt for depth reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      I'm assuming you're talking about Gjurich? He's going to turn 21 this May ... he can't play juniors after that and retain four years of eligibility can he? If he came in for 14/15, he'd be a 22 year old freshman on the first day of school?
      There were other schools interested in Gjurich, but they were put off by his (serious lack of an) academic record. Does anyone know if he can play next year or will have to sit out - Prop 48 style?
      Last edited by Ryecheers; 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
        There were other schools interested in Gjurich, but they were put off by his (serious lack of an) academic record. Does anyone know if he can play next year or will have to sit out - Prop 48 style?
        UMaine prides itself on academic achievement and its team GPA. You are a troll.

Comment

Is it intelligence or lack of motivation? He's almost 21 so hopefully has matured a lot from his HS days. I believe the last non-qualifier Maine had was Leveille and that worked out well to say the least.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
            Really?

Comment

Really?
              No.

it's a long story
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Really?
                Yes. UMaine has a high percentage of honor roll student athletes and one of the highest GPA's in Hockey East. Can't give you exact numbers, I'll have to look it up.

Comment

Eagan High School (Zach Glienke), plays East View tonight for the 3AA championship in Minnesota high school hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    Yes. UMaine has a high percentage of honor roll student athletes and one of the highest GPA's in Hockey East. Can't give you exact numbers, I'll have to look it up.
                    For the 2011 - 2012 year the men's hockey team had a GPA over 3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                      Gjurich did tell me he has to clear some academic issues before the fall
                      USCHO.com's MASCAC and ECAC-Northeast Columnist

Maine Hockey Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        Eagan High School (Zach Glienke), plays East View tonight for the 3AA championship in Minnesota high school hockey.
                        Eagan lost 4-1, Glienke with the lone goal. Also Nick Roberto's Kimball Union was also upset yesterday
                        Last edited by Sportsmaniac; 02-28-2013, 09:11 PM. Reason: Eagan game now a final

Maine Hockey Journal

Comment

Originally posted by daaabears View Post
                          I think you nailed the projected the forward core on the head. My only question is whether Cerretani is back next year. He's been a bust so far after racking up big numbers in Prep school and being pursued by other Hockey East schools like BU. If he doesn't come back, I wonder if Ryan Cloonan might be brought in this fall. I don't think that Badger will be here in the fall for sure. He struggled this year between Youngstown (USHL) and the Jr. Warriors (EJHL). If he doesn't turn it up next year he might be pushed back as a Class of 2015 player or just let go period. Salerno also had a tough year in Waterloo (USHL) and is listed as either as a 2013 or 2014 player. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he was one the league's younger player and was still able to put up ok numbers, but not great. After next year we lose only Anthoine and J. Swavely for forwards. So I would expect only Roberto and Pecararo to be part of the forward core. But we will see.

As for defense: We lose Cornell, Nemec, and Pryor. As of now, we have Renouf and Schurhamer lined up for school this fall, with Bjorkung coming the following fall. Like you mentioned, we are over-loaded with left-shot defensemen. Cornell and Nemec are both righties and Pryor a lefty. That leaves O'Connor as our only right shot defenseman. Now, someone mentioned Schurhamer maybe spending another year with Lincoln in the USHL next year. I don't think this is such a bad idea. He missed a ton of time with an injury and the time he has played, he has seemed to struggle as well. I'm not sure Bjorkung is ready either, but he has played much much better since being traded from Fargo to Sioux Falls. Even if they decide to bring him in, both him and Renouf are lefties. Combine that with Rutt, Hutton, Riley, Norman, Williams and you have 7 left shot d-men and only 1 righty in O'Connor. They desperately need to land a right shot defenseman for next fall. I think Riley, Norman, and Williams have been shakey so picking up 2 right shot d-men wouldn't hurt for depth reasons.
                          I don't think Cloonan will be here next year...Has missed a good portion of the schedule due to an injury. If he was healthy all year and kept up the pace he was at the beginning of the year, I would have said there was a chance of him coming next year.

Salerno has told me hes a 2014 recruit. As you mentioned he a young player on a deep team so playing time is limited

Maine Hockey Journal

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                            I'm assuming you're talking about Gjurich? He's going to turn 21 this May ... he can't play juniors after that and retain four years of eligibility can he? If he came in for 14/15, he'd be a 22 year old freshman on the first day of school?
                            As I understand it, you are correct he is ineligible for juniors after 21. Age does not affect his 4 year NCAA eligibility (a frosh could be 24 and have 4 years), but a player must be enrolled in the year he turned 21 to be eligible for athletic scholarship. I may be mistaken, but think that's pretty close.
                            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Well, when you consider the bulk of the scoring and the bulk of the solid defense are freshman and sophmores...

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out someone is recruiting talent differently the last couple years. Maybe that is a bright spot for the team.

Let's face it - this team was built and was a solid contender. But a few early defections and a change in recruiting hurt this program.

Maybe this is a bright spot going forward.

Wish we had more money spent up front rather than having 3 goalies to rotate.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                                Well, when you consider the bulk of the scoring and the bulk of the solid defense are freshman and sophmores...

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out someone is recruiting talent differently the last couple years. Maybe that is a bright spot for the team.

Let's face it - this team was built and was a solid contender. But a few early defections and a change in recruiting hurt this program.

Maybe this is a bright spot going forward.

Wish we had more money spent up front rather than having 3 goalies to rotate.
                                What change? Your post could be copy/pasted from Nyquist's freshman season. That talented core underachieved for 2 1/2 years and finally made the NCAAs as seniors. They were a blast to watch and all but on balance their 4 years were an underachievement. What makes anybody think this talented group of underclassmen won't amount to the same?

Recruiting and talent haven't been the issue at Maine since about 2009.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X