Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Recruit Updates: All Are Welcome.......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Recruit Updates: All Are Welcome.......

It seems to me that the typical D-1 hockey roster averages about 27-28 players. This year, Maine had 28 players on the roster, including Nugnes and Tegeler, who arrived in mid-year (Tegeler was not allowed to play by the NCAA). If we have nine players coming in (7 or 8 D/F and 1 goalie) and five leaving (3 D/F and 2 goalies), we would have 32 players on the roster unless somebody decides not to return. However, I checked some old media guides and discovered that the 1992-93 National Championship team and the 1997-98 team both had 31 players on the roster. So having more than 30 players on the roster, while not common, evidently isn't as much of a problem as I thought it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
      It seems to me that the typical D-1 hockey roster averages about 27-28 players. This year, Maine had 28 players on the roster, including Nugnes and Tegeler, who arrived in mid-year (Tegeler was not allowed to play by the NCAA). If we have nine players coming in (7 or 8 D/F and 1 goalie) and five leaving (3 D/F and 2 goalies), we would have 32 players on the roster unless somebody decides not to return. However, I checked some old media guides and discovered that the 1992-93 National Championship team and the 1997-98 team both had 31 players on the roster. So having more than 30 players on the roster, while not common, evidently isn't as much of a problem as I thought it would be.
      I came up with 31...but I didn't count a 4th goalie in Matt Strickott...I also thought that at 31 or 32 that it was a high amount on a Roster.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        I can see Cerretani in the stands crew as well. Henke and Campbell could end up being bubble guys also, but as I said before, I think Campbell might take a big step up next season.
        I agree that both Cerretani and Henke have shown very little potential. I think that Campbell has a definite upside, and I expect Renouf to develop rapidily as well.

This isn't going to be anything like the purge of the mid-2000's, when Maine had a ton of dead-wood and a terrible class coming in; Red is going to have to pick and choose very carefully next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          I agree that both Cerretani and Henke have shown very little potential. I think that Campbell has a definite upside, and I expect Renouf to develop rapidily as well.

This isn't going to be anything like the purge of the mid-2000's, when Maine had a ton of dead-wood and a terrible class coming in; Red is going to have to pick and choose very carefully next year.
          Cerretani has as much potential as Reg Cardinal did.... same type of role player in my opinion. There is value to having a guy around who is willing to work his butt off on every shift.

Henke is the only meat in the line up not named Shore. He is also a fine role player, I would not call him deadwood. He plays much bigger than he is.

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
            Cerretani has as much potential as Reg Cardinal did.... same type of role player in my opinion. There is value to having a guy around who is willing to work his butt off on every shift.

Henke is the only meat in the line up not named Shore. He is also a fine role player, I would not call him deadwood. He plays much bigger than he is.
            I think you'll see both in Maine's Plans next season.

Comment

HOLD ON..!

Reg was one of my all-favorites at Maine. That guy could not not score to save his life, but he wreaked havoc during every second he was on the ice. His motor was second to none, and it was completely apparent that opposing teams hated playing against him.

(Does he have a son who can skate a little bit?)

Comment

Sorry have to call BS on this with regards to Cerretani and Cardnial. Reg finished is career at Maine with 98 points!! 98! Andrew will have to rake in 93 points in his senior year to tie him. If you view him as having similar potential he has woefully underperformed and should not have a spot on the team next year. I don't see that much potential in either he or Henke. What they both need to prove to earn a spot next year is that they can fiercely forecheck and create chaos defensively against top lines on other teams or on PK. That is how they see the ice particularly Cerretani as Henke still has room to grow and I saw some flashes from him this year.

Favorite Reg Cardinal memory was when he famously set-up Dan Shermerhorn to end the classic 2 or 3 OT game vs. Michigan and Marty Turco in the '95 National semi-final. One can only hope Cerretani has a chance at doing that on the national stage next year. But that would then be the only way I could then put Cerretabi in the same company with Reg.

Comment

HOLD ON..!

Reg was one of my all-favorites at Maine. That guy could not not score to save his life, but he wreaked havoc during every second he was on the ice. His motor was second to none, and it was completely apparent that opposing teams hated playing against him.

the wreaking havoc on the ice is what I see in Cerretani, he keeps chugging and chugging.

Reg played in an era when more points were scored, and he also played on a team that had a lot of talented players. I have a feeling that if Cerretani played on a line with Shore and Lomberg he would have scored many more points than he has---but he didn't..

(No I am not suggesting that he is the right linemate for Shore and Lomberg, I am saying that BobF's point production argument needs to be looked at in the big picture, heck, if Cerretani played with Craig Janney and Kevin Stevens, he might have surpassed Cardinals' career points in a single season, instead, he plays on lines with guys who probably can only aspire to playing in the ECHL.)

Comment

HOLD ON..!

Probably the person who hated to see him on the ice most was BU’s Mike Grier. He drove Grier nuts and Reggie was the guy who kept him off the score sheet.
                    When protecting a one goal lead in the last minute of a game Reg was always on the ice freezing the puck against the boards with two or three opponents trying to pry it lose as the clock ran down.

I agree Cerretani is more of an offensive threat than Reg was.

He has two sons.

Comment

, instead, he plays on lines with guys who probably can only aspire to playing in the ECHL.)
                      Don't you figure there's probably a reason for that?

If he should be on a line with Shore and Lonberg, perhaps he ought to think about showing that he does.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Stats have been update with most of the players seasons over.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0

Both Konstantin Chernyuk (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Junior Knights) and Simon Butala (Long Island Gulls) are competing at USA Hockey's Tier I U16 Nationals which start tomorrow in Green Bay, Wis.

http://nationals.usahockey.com/page/...outh-16u-2014-

Mitch Fossier (TPH Thunder) will be at the U18 Nationals which also start tomorrow in Green Bay.

http://nationals.usahockey.com/page/...outh-18u-2014-

Cam Spicer and the New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs are at USA Hockey's Tier III Junior Nationals in Simsbury, CT starting on Thursday.

http://nationals.usahockey.com/page/...nior-nationals

If you are inclined to spend the money FastHockey.com will be broadcasting all three events.

The OHL Draft is Saturday Simon Butala and AJ Drobot are both eligible to be selected and I won't be surprised if they both selected in the later rounds as flyer picks so don't be alarmed if you see their name selected unless its in the first five rounds then eye brows can be raised.
                        Last edited by Sportsmaniac; 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM.
                        USCHO.com's MASCAC and ECAC-Northeast Columnist

Maine Hockey Journal

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Don't you figure there's probably a reason for that?

If he should be on a line with Shore and Lomberg, perhaps he ought to think about showing that he does.
                          did you read the part about how I said that I was NOT suggesting that?

Comment

No, you said you weren't suggesting he was the perfect linemate for them.

There's a reason he's not playing with better linemates, and that reason is that he hasn't shown he deserves to be playing with better linemates. You claim he'd have 100 points if he was playing with linemates like Kariya and Montgomery, but until he shows that he can be an asset to players like that, he's gonna stay mired right where he is. As a part time player on a team without a lot of skill anyway.

He played 17 games this season, surely if he has shown what you claim he's capable of, he'd have been a regular in the lineup. He can't even crack the fourth line on a talent-challeged team. And it'll be even tougher to crack next season.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post

I agree Cerretani is more of an offensive threat than Reg was.
                              Reggie might have had hands of stone, but to say Cerretani is more of an offensive threat is quite the stretch. Cerretani has 5 points in 62 games with a whopping 2 goals in three years and Reggie had 98 points in 147 games. Reggie had much better talent to play with,but I think if he played on the team the past 3 years he would have surpassed 5 points. Cerretani is lucky he's playing D1 in my opinion because his numbers suggest he shouldn't be.

Comment

Looks like neither Butala or Drobot were invited to the 2014 NTDP Evaluation Camp... iirc, both were hoping to attend...

About a quarter of the way down the page

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2014-ntdp-camp-preview/

Comment

Working...
                                X