Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Recruit Updates: All Are Welcome.......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Recruit Updates: All Are Welcome.......

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    Not exactly sure why it makes sense to burn a year of eligibility to come in and sit in back of Ouellette unless they just want to get him on campus and redshirt him the second half, but if that's the case why not keep playing jrs until end of season.
    Maybe he wanted to get a head start on college and finish up with a master's degree instead of a B.S. From a hockey standpoint, would he be better off playing EJHL hockey or participating in UMaine practice sessions? Which course would make him better prepared to be a D-I goalie next fall?

My guess is that he won't use up a year of eligibility this spring, unless Sullivan or Ouellette is injured. But I also suspect that Gendron realizes that he's one injury away from having to rely on his current No. 3 goalie as the back-up.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
      Maybe he wanted to get a head start on college and finish up with a master's degree instead of a B.S. From a hockey standpoint, would he be better off playing EJHL hockey or participating in UMaine practice sessions? Which course would make him better prepared to be a D-I goalie next fall?

My guess is that he won't use up a year of eligibility this spring, unless Sullivan or Ouellette is injured. But I also suspect that Gendron realizes that he's one injury away from having to rely on his current No. 3 goalie as the back-up.
      Aren't you always 1 injury away from using your 3rd stringer as back up
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Aren't you always 1 injury away from using your 3rd stringer as back up
        Not all teams,some teams have the so-called 1A & 1B tandem...but for Maine in may very well be just insurance down the road...better to be ready then to say what if...............Merry Christmas/Go Maine..!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          Not all teams,some teams have the so-called 1A & 1B tandem...but for Maine in may very well be just insurance down the road...better to be ready then to say what if...............Merry Christmas/Go Maine..!
          If 1a gets hurt you are using 1b with your backup who is your 3rd stringer.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            If 1a gets hurt you are using 1b with your backup who is your 3rd stringer.
            Whatever.

Comment

What is the Status of incoming recruit Sean Remeo..? See that he has played a limited amount(6)of games for Youngstown of the USHL...is he or has he been injured..? If so that along with Matt Morris being out for this season with surgery(Red-Shirt)would factor in Maine bringing in another netminder in Nik Nugnes. Is there any word that Nugnes will be on the Roster for the 2nd Semester..?

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                Not exactly sure why it makes sense to burn a year of eligibility to come in and sit in back of Ouellette unless they just want to get him on campus and redshirt him the second half, but if that's the case why not keep playing jrs until end of season.
                I have too much faith in our coaching staff to think that playing in the Jr. league would be of more value than getting acclimated to the hockey culture at Maine, participating and developing during practices every day rather than getting more exposure in countable games at the Jr league level. I think it's great that he was allowed the option and that he jumped at the chance. Welcome to Maine!

Comment

Larry Mahoney has a story on Nugnes in today's Bangor Daily News. The link is here.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
                    Larry Mahoney has a story on Nugnes in today's Bangor Daily News. The link is here.
                    He sounds good to me. I really like what Red has done so far with recruiting. He has gone for guys who are a little under the radar and I think quite a few of them will wind up being decent college players. I think in a lot of cases the guys who are the best at 16 or 17 don't necessarily turn out to be to good college players, just look at BU the last 15 years.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      He sounds good to me. I really like what Red has done so far with recruiting. He has gone for guys who are a little under the radar and I think quite a few of them will wind up being decent college players. I think in a lot of cases the guys who are the best at 16 or 17 don't necessarily turn out to be to good college players, just look at BU the last 15 years.
                      Dustin Penner is an obvious one too that comes to mind. He didn't seem like much of a skater at Maine, but Standbrook knew what to look for, and his career really took right off after his breakout performance at the Hockey East Championship down in Boston.

Comment

Anybody know how to pronounce "Nugnes"?

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
                          Good question. I was thinking either "Noons" or "Noon-yez".

Comment

"Smith".......they're all silent.....
                            all kidding aside, I'd guess "noo-ness"
                            Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post

Comment

Are you guys blind? It's Nug-Nuts!
                              If he's any good, that's what I'll call him anyway.
                              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Its what big brothers do to little brothers, nuggies

Comment

Working...
                                X