Denver at Duluth: the Battle for Mediocrity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver at Duluth: the Battle for Mediocrity

The Pioneers and Bulldogs are currently in the 7th and 8th places respectively in the WCHA. If one team sweeps, it will be able to retain its mantle of mediocrity while the other one will just be bad. Let the total absence of anyone outside Denver and Duluth giving a crap begin...

And for the record, I'm calling a sweep for the Pioneers.

Re: Denver at Duluth: the Battle for Mediocrity

Who knew that the DU team that started the year so well would be in a home ice dog fight with us? UMD has their work cut out for them in getting home ice. It will be difficult but not impossible.

Oh what the hell, UMD sweeps.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

It is time for the annual College Hockey Trip for 6 guys from Rochester, MN. This year tUMD vs Denver Feb 1/2. You will know it is us when you see a WI Fan sitting with a MN fan and SCSU fan. We could use your help. Where should we go to eat and drink before and after the game? We are staying at the Comfort Suites Canal Park. Thanks for the Help!!!
      Yearly College Hockey Trips
      St. Cloud - Best Bar (Red Carpet)
      North Dakota - First Jägerbomb
      Northern Michigan - Friendliest Hockey Fans (tink-tink-ta-tink)
      Michigan Tech - Best Ice Sculptures
      Mankato - Denver wins the cup in OT
      Nebraska-Omaha - Biggest Weiner
      Bemidji State - Best Beaver Tour
      Duluth - Sandman KO'd but wins on a DQ
      St. Cloud - Great Band
      Northern Michigan - She gave my beads back

Comment

Originally posted by UnWanted22 View Post
        It is time for the annual College Hockey Trip for 6 guys from Rochester, MN. This year tUMD vs Denver Feb 1/2. You will know it is us when you see a WI Fan sitting with a MN fan and SCSU fan. We could use your help. Where should we go to eat and drink before and after the game? We are staying at the Comfort Suites Canal Park. Thanks for the Help!!!
        Here my lowdown:

Duluth Grill - Always busy and has phenomal food
        Mexico Lindo - Fantastic mexico food
        Grandma's Saloon - Good food
        Sammy's Pizza - A Duluth Pizza classic
        Pizza Luce - Great pizza and has a bloody mary bar in the mornings Sunday mornings I think?
        Anchor Bar-over in Superior but has cheap drinks and cheap burgers. Dive bar that is a must do.
        Uncle Louies - highly recommended breakfast place
        Fitgers Brewhouse has local beer that people like
        Canal Park Brewing - newest brewpub in Duluth and I've only heard good things
        Grandma's Sports Garden- gotta try a pitcher of Kamazee. Only 5 bucks and will give you gut rot. Also is the place to be on a Saturday night where it is essentially a night club. Depending on your age you may love or hate.

Most of these are places away from Canal Park because most places there, are chain places you get can anywhere.

After the game:
        Duhb Linn's - busy on Fridays usually
        Aces on 1st
        Anywhere on Tower Ave. in Superior (so many bars)
        Grandma's Sports Garden - Saturday night is very busy, it is always a race for me to get from the game to the bar before they run out of pitchers for Kami's
        The Reef
        Last edited by Biddco; 01-28-2013, 10:29 AM.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

If DU sweeps and everybody above them splits this weekend [MN & MSUM have byes], they are right back in the MacNaughton race. Just a crazy year in the WCHA.

Personally I'd be happy with a split. Should be two exciting games this weekend.

Comment

Also in Canal Park is Northern Waters Smokehaus, fantastic smoked meats & fish sandwiched. Was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (As was the aforementioned Duluth Grill and The Anhor).
            SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
            UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
            Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
            Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
            UMD Football: 2008, 2010
            UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by UnWanted22 View Post
              Old chicago in canal park is pretty good pre game spot, Happy hour food and drink specials. If your up for a short walk, the skyway has access to downtown. Sneakers is in the Holiday center, good grub and drinks there. Cant go wrong with much of Biddco's list. As far as the hockey goes this has split written all over it. Unless some of that fire from the U-18 game carries over.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                Here my lowdown:

Pizza Luce - Great pizza and has a bloody mary bar in the mornings Sunday mornings I think?
                Anchor Bar-over in Superior but has cheap drinks and cheap burgers. Dive bar that is a must do.
                Grandma's Sports Garden- gotta try a pitcher of Kamazee. Only 5 bucks and will give you gut rot. Also is the place to be on a Saturday night where it is essentially a night club. Depending on your age you may love or hate.

Most of these are places away from Canal Park because most places there, are chain places you get can anywhere.

After the game:
                Aces on 1st
                Grandma's Sports Garden - Saturday night is very busy, it is always a race for me to get from the game to the bar before they run out of pitchers for Kami's
                The Reef
                What Biddco said.

I made this trip year before last and actually stayed at Fitgers, which is also a hotel. Drank some smoked beer in the bar, something I had never even seen or heard of before and loved it. Ate at both the Duluth Grill and at Pizza Luce, which we both really liked, and my wife is a chef and is hard to please besides being a complete pizza snob. Fitger's also has a free shuttle to and from the game as well.

One other thing you must do either before, during, or after the game, in my opinion is go to the Duluth Curling Club, which Biddco directed me to do back then and he didn't mention here. It's the only place to get alcohol in the whole arena facility complex (that I was told of, anyway) and they allow you to buy a weekend membership for a very nominal sum so you can get in there and "partake". It seemed obvious that the practice is just a way around whatever liquor serving issues there apparently are in their arena, since none was served there.

We really stood out like sore thumbs, all in our UNO gear. Me, my wife, and a couple other UNO fans that we met who were staying at Fitger's as well that rode in the shuttle with us, in that sea of Duluth jerseys in the Curling Club. Everybody was super friendly and we ended up having drinks, both nights, with the parents of Hobey Baker Award winner Jack Connolly, who invited us over on the first night and did again the next when we came in, again. The place is loaded with people going to the game prior to faceoff (and between periods and after the game, too), and while I am at it, the club itself is worth seeing on it's own. This is a world class curling facility. It's freaking huge! It was jaw dropping, in fact. I don't know that I've seen Olympic curling facilities on TV that compare with what they have there. Very, very impressive. It's in the same building/complex as the arena so the proximity to the hockey games is good.

Aside from the actual games, our time in the Curling Club and a side trip to the Lake Superior Railroad Museum were two of the most most worthwhile things we did while we were there.

We were very, very pleasantly surprised by the whole "Duluth experience", in general, I might add.

Comment

You can do the Curling Club but you can also do the other area... Biddy or someone else from the tUMD fanbase can tell you about it, if it had a name I didn't catch it, and its not as nice as the Curling Club, but the big two advantages are no charge and closer to the rink, which helps when you're running back and forth between periods.
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                    You can do the Curling Club but you can also do the other area... Biddy or someone else from the tUMD fanbase can tell you about it, if it had a name I didn't catch it, and its not as nice as the Curling Club, but the big two advantages are no charge and closer to the rink, which helps when you're running back and forth between periods.
                    Its called the "Blue line club" its located just outside the south entrance to the rink and down a flight of stairs. They have closed circuit tvs so you dont miss the game while finishing your beverage.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                      If DU sweeps and everybody above them splits this weekend [MN & MSUM have byes], they are right back in the MacNaughton race. Just a crazy year in the WCHA.

Personally I'd be happy with a split. Should be two exciting games this weekend.
                      I would also be happy with a split. But I have a good feeling this week.

Comment

Maybe this will be the weekend that I try Northern Waters Smokehouse and Sneakers...

Thanks to those you added the CC and Blue Line Club. Even though you have to pay for the CC there is just something about the people in there, they are very friendly and as Red Cows discussed, you'll meet some great people.

Ha I didn't know Fitgers has a shuttle! That might be the only place in Duluth that offers one...
                        tUMD Hockey

Comment

Heading into this weekend Denver is in seventh place in the WCHA standings. Here are the six teams above Denver in the standings and the Pioneers' record this season against each of those teams.

Saint Cloud 1-3-0
                          Minnesota 0-0-0
                          Neb-O 1-0-1
                          Mankato 2-0-0
                          North Dakota 0-1-1
                          Wisconsin 0-1-1

That's a composite record of 4-5-3 for a winning percentage of .458. The Pioneers have four regular season games remaining against teams currently ahead of them in the WCHA standings. Denver plays at home against North Dakota on February 22nd & 23rd.

The following weekend Denver plays on the road against Minnesota. Denver is 0-4-2 in its past six road games.
                          sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

DU could REALLY use a sweep this weekend!
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              Here my lowdown:

After the game:
                              Aces on 1st
                              The Reef
                              I like the little pizza place next to Caribou too, with the stone oven. Not largest pizzas, but good. Nice for lunch.

Comment

Working...
                              X