Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowdoin 2012-2013: Do the Boys earn the respect we think they deserve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowdoin 2012-2013: Do the Boys earn the respect we think they deserve?

After a successful weekend trip against Williams and Midd the Polar Bears followed up with a Tuesday night victory against an overmatched USM squad. They have their off week this weekend and return to action on Feb 1 with a weekend set at home against Amherst and Hamilton. Their SOS is weak and their OOC schedule didn't help that in the least. Yet, no matter the competition, they have proven to be a resilient bunch and sit at 16-1-1. They have historically been a team that fades in the second half of the season. Not this year, so far. So, how will they fare down the stretch? Will they hold on to host the NESCAC tournament? Will they get an at-large bid if they don't win the NESCAC tournament? Thoughts?
    Last edited by polarbear2; 01-23-2013, 11:37 AM.
    Mark it 8, Dude

Originally posted by polarbear2 View Post
    After a successful weekend trip against Williams and Midd the Polar Bears followed up with a Tuesday night victory against an overmatched USM squad. They have their off week this weekend and return to action on Feb 1 with a weekend set at home against Amherst and Hamilton. Their SOS is weak and their OOC schedule didn't help that in the least. Yet, no matter the competition, they have proven to be a resilient bunch and sit at 16-1-1. They have historically been a team that fades in the second half of the season. Not this year, so far. So, how will they fare down the stretch? Will they hold on to host the NESCAC tournament? Will they get an at-large bid if they don't win the NESCAC tournament? Thoughts?
    Barring a huge collapse, Bowdoin should be protected if the were to lose in the NESCAC tournament. Their record will be strong enough to merit a Pool C bid. Now if they were to drop 4 or 5 games between now and the tournament, then all bets would be off.
    Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Re: Bowdoin 2012-2013: Do the Boys earn the respect we think they deserve?

Like I said in another thread, barring a collapse of Red Soxian proportions, the AQ will be earned in your barn in March.

As to a Pool C, it looks good right now, but nothing is for certain when it comes to the smoke filled room.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

When was the last time NESCAC received an at large bid ?

Comment

In defense of their schedule, historically bad years for Colby, USM and Middlebury are not helping the SOS. I anticipated a higher SOS when the season started. UNE, Suffolk and Salve on the other hand...

The 6 point lead on Williams isn't as big as it looks since the Ephs have two games in hand, but looking at the schedules the rest of the way, Bowdoin does seem to have favorable path to host. The problem is they have not been able to turn hosting into winning yet. If that trend continues, though, I still think they are in great shape for a Pool C bid. If they can win 5 of 6 the rest of the regular season and win their opening round, even if they were to lose in the semi's, I think the selection committee would have a tough time leaving them out of the field. I would love to see them finally win a NESCAC championship on home ice and let other teams worry about Pool C.
          Go Polar Bears Plaaaay Hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
            When was the last time NESCAC received an at large bid ?

I know Bowdoin did in the 09-10 season when they lost to Midd in NESCAC finals at home.

I can still remember that wrist shot from the top of the circle, through the legs of the D and over the shoulder of Rossi that gave Midd the win in that game. Bowdoin promptly got demolished in Oswego in the quarters.
            Last edited by polarbearfan; 01-23-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

If they needed the bid from pool c, I'm guessing they'd likely be up against Oz/PSU, SNC/WEC, Hobart and Utica.
              I think the Feb. 1 home game against Amherst could be huge for them. If they can finish with 3 or less losses, they should beat most other Pool C contenders on win %. But they will give that point right back on SOS. I don't see H2H or record vs common opponents being a plus or minus for them. I think getting the point for being a perfect 4-0 against ranked opponents (assuming Amherst and Williams get ranked) will keep them in the conversation in the "smoke filled room"...but there is no way to know how they'll ultimately weight the criteria.

Comment

Kind of new to this but my humble opinion:
                Who will be the pool C bids?
                SUNYAC ... Platts? Oswego? (almost always one) but Geneseo seems hot w/o history. If Genny wins?
                NCHA.... St. Norbert? Wis EC? If Norbert stumbles, their history should garner a bid.
                ECAC West... Hobart? Utica? ... What if Neumann stays hot and runs the tourney like 09?
                NESCAC... Bowdoin should with 1 or 2 more losses get a bid (1 reg season + loss to Amherst/williams in final of tourney) more stumbles... who knows.
                Someone (as always) will be top 10 and sitting home.
                Last edited by Domesfan; 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM. Reason: forgot a wd

Comment

Originally posted by polarbearfan View Post

I know Bowdoin did in the 09-10 season when they lost to Midd in NESCAC finals at home.

I can still remember that wrist shot from the top of the circle, through the legs of the D and over the shoulder of Rossi that gave Midd the win in that game. Bowdoin promptly got demolished in Oswego in the quarters.
                  I think they'd be in the thick of the discussion.........but they should do whatever it takes to avoid being in that discussion.

Comment

Hope the boys are planning for the AQ and not thinking about the Pool C bid!!

Someone asked whether a NESCAC has received the Pool C bid -- the answer is yes, Bowdoin was awarded a Pool C slot in 2010, after having an excellent season but losing the NESCAC finals on a 1-goal game to Middlebury. They were then clobbered by Oswego in the NCAA quarterfinals. The 2011 Bowdoin team won the NESCAC championship as the 5th seed and, with a weaker record than the 2010 team did much better in the NCAAs than the 2010 Pool C qualifier, downing Neumann 2-1 at home and losing to Oswego on the road 7-5.
                    Last edited by d3follower; 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I think Bowdoin has a pretty good angle on the Pool C. If they were to lose2 games down the stretch and NOT win the NESCAC tourney, they probably would be out thanks to their SOS. Lotsa hockey left. Platt/Oswego loser, Utica/Hobart loser are the main competition. As a Card fan, this year I'm focused on SUnYAC tourney and let the chips fall where they may.

Comment

As polarbear2 posted in another thread, the #2 ranking for the Polar Bears is a new high in the polls for the boys form Brunswick. It may not seem impressive to fans of some the perennial powers but we are currently witnessing one of, if not the, best era of Bowdoin Hockey, certainly the best in recent memory. I'm sure 'The Sid' opening in '09 has a lot to do with it. Not to count chickens but if Bowdoin stays on track for the NCAAs this, it will be 3 trips in 4 years ... which is more than (2) they made in all of their eligible years up to that point. They also won* their first NESCAC championship in '11. So far they haven't made it past the NCAA quarterfinals (Thanks Oswego), and I would love to watch them in Lake Placid this year, but We take our hockey seriously in Maine and seeing the Polar Bears consistently in the running over the past half decade has brought a lot of joy to Bowdoin fans and alumni in Brunswick around the country.

Comment

The #2 ranking for the Polar Bears is a new high in the polls for the boys form Brunswick. It may not seem impressive to fans of some the perennial powers but we are currently witnessing one of, if not the, best era of Bowdoin Hockey, certainly the best in recent memory. I'm sure 'The Sid' opening in '09 has a lot to do with it. Not to count chickens but if Bowdoin stays on track for the NCAAs this, it will be 3 trips in 4 years ... which is more than (2) they made in all of their eligible years up to that point. They also won* their first NESCAC championship in '11. So far they haven't made it past the NCAA quarterfinals (Thanks Oswego), and I would love to watch them in Lake Placid this year, but We take our hockey seriously in Maine and seeing the Polar Bears consistently in the running over the past half decade has brought a lot of joy to Bowdoin fans and alumni in Brunswick around the country.
                          What he said
                          Mark it 8, Dude

Comment

At what point does Meagher stop having Messina and Fenkell split time in net? Did Friday nights 1st period performance (4 goals on 7 shots) put Messina on the bench for the rest of the season? It's not like Fenkell hasn't earned the full time job, quietly putting together one of the best seasons in the country this year with a 1.83 GAA and .940 SV%.

Comment

At what point does Meagher stop having Messina and Fenkell split time in net? Did Friday nights 1st period performance (4 goals on 7 shots) put Messina on the bench for the rest of the season? It's not like Fenkell hasn't earned the full time job, quietly putting together one of the best seasons in the country this year with a 1.83 GAA and .940 SV%.
                              I imagine the Meagher will give Messina another shot at Wesleyan this weekend. Here's a link to a really terrific story and video about the Bowdoin team.

Comment

Working...
                              X