How to Eliminate Unclean Hits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Eliminate Unclean Hits

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to Bardreau.
    Hits from behind, elbows to the head, knee on knee hits can be reduced dramatically with the following simple rule change. If a player is injured as the result of an infraction, the penalized player besides receiving the standard team penalty, may not play again until the injured player is able to resume play.

If the injured player is out for a week, the penalized player is out for a week. If the injured player has his career ended, the penalized player suffers the same fate.

Re: How to Eliminate Unclean Hits

Tough for Cornell.. he is very lucky. Can't believe he actually finished the game!.. very lucky. Get well soon, young man.
    Panda, i like your point re. the penalty for the penalized player.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Big Panda View Post
      Hits from behind, elbows to the head, knee on knee hits can be reduced dramatically with the following simple rule change. If a player is injured as the result of an infraction, the penalized player besides receiving the standard team penalty, may not play again until the injured player is able to resume play.

If the injured player is out for a week, the penalized player is out for a week. If the injured player has his career ended, the penalized player suffers the same fate.
      What about if he didn't miss a shift in the game? No penalty?

Look, I'm sorry to read that he was injured and don't wish any harm to these kids while I'm in a sane state of mind, but I'd be more concerned about what the coaching staff is doing to these kids, such as not totally checking on these sorts of things to consider if the kid's good to play, or even strategically placing kids into these situations where these things could very well happen.

Comment

I'm clearly disappointed by the news about Bardreau, too, so my emotion wants to agree with you, but this is too far. Players can be injured by non-infractions just as easily as infractions - there are far too many fluky events. The hit on Bardreau was clearly illegal, but not necessarily malicious. I'm sure there have been other events much, much worse where there was a genuine intent to injure and yet no injury resulted - shouldn't that player be penalized just as severely as Burgdorfer (sp?)? I think the hits need to be scrutinized individually to determine their *potential* for causing injuries, and be penalized accordingly whether or not an injury actually did occur. I think this is pretty much what is done today, but I do think that the suspensions for actions that have a high potential for causing injuries should be longer.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

You would hope the staff didn't put a kid out for a shift with neck pain. But more than likely, he did not complain.

However, he is out for the season on an illegal check. The offender should be similarly penalized.

Comment

You would hope the staff didn't put a kid out for a shift with neck pain. But more than likely, he did not complain.

However, he is out for the season on an illegal check. The offender should be similarly penalized.
            What if the player who gets injured is a scrub and rarely plays to begin with? What is to prevent the player's coach from using the injury as the reason he is not playing?
            What if the player who gets injured is a freshman, it is the first game of the season, it's a career ending injury and the offender is also a freshman? Does the offender never get to play college hockey again?
            What if the player who gets injured is a senior and it ends up being the last game of his team's season? Does the offender not get suspended?
            Last edited by Dirty; 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

There's a part of me that doesn't trust Cornell, or the league for that matter, when it comes to that team's falls and injuries. After a hit his twin brother laid and ended up getting a three game suspension for, the player who was hit not only played the next weekend, but scored a goal.

I promised myself I wasn't going to turn this into an argument, but quite frankly, you let the cat out of the bag.

Comment

End result shouldn't dictate punishment. If the exact same hit is dished out on a guy with a glass jaw and Adrian Peterson on skates then one offender should not be out for weeks/months while the other gets off scott free
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                  End result shouldn't dictate punishment. If the exact same hit is dished out on a guy with a glass jaw and Adrian Peterson on skates then one offender should not be out for weeks/months while the other gets off scott free
                  Panda's idea is unenforceable. I don't know how many times I've said over the past decade that teaching today's players to turn their back to the ice is the biggest cause of these injuries. Back in my misspent youth we were taught to turn your shoulder into a check, not to turn your back on the guy that's trying to put you into the third row of seats.
                  Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                    What if the player who gets injured is a scrub and rarely plays to begin with? What is to prevent the player's coach from using the injury as the reason he is not playing?
                    What if the player who gets injured is a freshman, it is the first game of the season, it's a career ending injury and the offender is also a freshman? Does the offender never get to play college hockey again?
                    What if the player who gets injured is a senior and it ends up being the last game of his team's season? Does the offender not get suspended?
                    I think Dirty's comments are reasonable questions and clearly a rule like this would have to be explored.

However, a hit from behind along the boards is a very dangerous hit. Most don't result in injury. An elbow to the head is also very dangerous. Most also don't result in injury. However, those that do usually have significant effect on the athlete.

The question is: can such a penalty decrease the number of such dangerous situations. I think it could. If you take the Bertuzzi sucker punch on Steve Moore, that ended a players career. I dont think a player would be willing to take such a one sided risk if a similar rule were in place.

Comment

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                        Panda's idea is unenforceable. I don't know how many times I've said over the past decade that teaching today's players to turn their back to the ice is the biggest cause of these injuries. Back in my misspent youth we were taught to turn your shoulder into a check, not to turn your back on the guy that's trying to put you into the third row of seats.
                        You have a good point. Let's take a look at video evidence:

http://rpitv.org/productions/530-hockey-vs-cornell
                        Under playlist select "First Period", and go to about 12:30 video time (~9:30 game time).

The kid clearly has his head down as he goes into the boards. It also looks like a turn to the boards so not a clean CFB, but more like the drawing a 5-and-game that we're so used to seeing ever since the rule was put into place. Obviously, the head down and that going into the boards is what caused the injury. I seem to remember, during the WJC, one of the commercials on the NHL Network was about how not to go head first into the boards and properly take a check. It's a bit ironic that a WJC player has this happen to him.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron marvin View Post
                          this is the dumbest thing i have ever heard of.
                          IALTO. Amazing!
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Marvin View Post
                            This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.
                            True, and Marvin would know dumb.

Comment

The question is: can such a penalty decrease the number of such dangerous situations. I think it could. If you take the Bertuzzi sucker punch on Steve Moore, that ended a players career. I dont think a player would be willing to take such a one sided risk if a similar rule were in place.
                              I totally agree. I mean, the threat of imprisonment for life without the possibility of parole, or even death by lethal injection, has reduced the murder rate to somewhere near zero, so along the same lines this should totally work for a hockey game.
                              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Working...
                              X