Clear All

Re: 1980 US Gold Medal Team

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    Dude, relax. It's all in good fun.
    No, I dude. He gurth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
      The problem is that it's a silly question. We are all incredibly biased so of course we'll think it is more impressive. The real question you should be asking is if there is any American on this board who doesn't think it's more impressive.
      It makes me wonder if Dubbs talk to a lot of people from small countries, who have nothing like the athletic training budgets that the USA had back then. I could understand how someone from a country that celebrates every single Olympic medal (gold or otherwise) as a major achievement could fail to see why we put such stock in that particular medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        The problem is that it's a silly question. We are all incredibly biased so of course we'll think it is more impressive. The real question you should be asking is if there is any American on this board who doesn't think it's more impressive.
        Eric Heiden pulling five gold medals was more impressive.

Comment

Do you think a group of amatuers defeating a group of professionals was more impressive than a group of professionals defeating a group of amateurs multiple times?

In other words, do you think the handful of Golds won by the Soviets in the 1960's and 70's was more or less impressive than the two won by Americans in 1960 and 1980?

I'm not sure that impressive is how I'd categorize it, although it was an impressive achievement. Improbable? Unlikely? Miracle? Super-Neat-O?

It was great. It was the biggest thing to ever happen for the US in hockey on the international stage. What more do you want? As a single achievement, yes, I'd put it ahead of most any other single team that I know anything about that has won a gold in hockey.

It was a HUGE upset and in the context of the cold war and that time in America, well, it's the stuff that movies are made of.

Not sure I'd describe the USSR's golds as a "handful," though. From 64 through 92, they won 7 of 8 golds. I'd categorize that as impressive in it's own way. You don't have to be an underdog to do something that's impressive and to be able to sustain that dominance over such a long period of time shows how dedicated they were to their hockey machine.

To never in that time have another upset, which we all know can happen in a one and done hockey game, happen to them? Yes, I know they were pros. Still, a goalie could stand on his head or a fluke shot could go in at some point.

I remember from the late 70s into the 90s when the Red Army and Dynamo teams would come in to play the Blackhawks in exhibition games during the NHL season. It was like watching us play against cyborgs. Cyborgs who more often than not, beat us.

They were otherworldly, cloned alien-beings back then.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I also thoroughly enjoyed our win in the World Cup of Hockey in 96 and the WJC 3 years ago.

Not as impressive, but loads of fun and pride.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              Not sure I'd describe the USSR's golds as a "handful," though. From 64 through 92, they won 7 of 8 golds. I'd categorize that as impressive in it's own way.
              What's even more impressive is that a country that didn't even exist won the gold. (USSR broke up in 1991)

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                What's even more impressive is that a country that didn't even exist won the gold. (USSR broke up in 1991)
                I included the Unified Team's win in 92. Same guys, same machine, but thanks for keeping everything straight.

Next time I'll add a footnote.

Comment

I included the Unified Team's win in 92. Same guys, same machine, but thanks for keeping everything straight.

Next time I'll add a footnote.
                  Hey, there's a reason PBS never reran episodes of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego from season 1 after 1991.

Comment

Thanks Gurt. That is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I agree, what the Soviets were able to do in the 60's and 70's (that is the time frame I was looking at, which is why I characterized it as a "handful") was impressive. They were virtually unbeatable over that stretch.

All that said, I think the Gold medals won by the Americans in 1960 and 1980 were more impressive/special because they were won with Amateur players. And they were also special because of what they meant to USA Hockey.

The USA and Canada could have used professional players over that period of time and had a better chance to win more Gold medals, but the Gold medals they did win over this period were more meaningful, special, and could be argued more impressive.

I think we can all agree on that, no?

Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      It absolutely was about more than just an upset. I wrote about it when the movie Miracle came out.

http://www.uscho.com/2004/02/03/reme...g-the-miracle/

Great read. Thanks for sharing and you are one lucky (opportunistic also) soul!

Comment

You should take this to hfboards where you could probably get a rise out of Canadians () or maybe some of the international posters.
                        There is a method to my madness Gurt. One thing always leads to another

Comment

There is a method to my madness Gurt. One thing always leads to another

You seem almost reasonable in almost a third of your posts lately - makes me distrust you all the more.

Comment

I don't look at it as that impressive at all. It is like our basketball team getting upset in 2004 by Argentina(which is probably a bigger upset).
                            The USSR just steamrolled the US team earlier 10-3 and they were so bored going through the motions that they didn't start playing till the third period. Craig withstood the barrage and got lucky. Even the USSR team members mentioned they were so entranced by the US teams emotions because it had been so long since they felt the same way. Shots were 36 to 16, most people would say that is still domination. I remember watching the game, we were basically playing desperation keeping it out of our net hoping the time would run out and holding on. The USSR was embarrassed and blamed their top line and goalie for the loss.

There was nothing impressive about it, except holding on and getting the upset. Gopher fans would have blamed the goalie for letting in soft goals.
                            Last edited by hockeykrazy; 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeykrazy View Post
                              I don't look at it as that impressive at all. It is like our basketball team getting upset in 2004 by Argentina(which is probably a bigger upset).
                              The USSR just steamrolled the US team earlier 10-3 and they were so bored going through the motions that they didn't start playing till the third period. Craig withstood the barrage and got lucky. Even the USSR team members mentioned they were so entranced by the US teams emotions because it had been so long since they felt the same way. Shots were 36 to 16, most people would say that is still domination. I remember watching the game, we were basically playing desparation keeping it out of our net hoping the time would run out and holding on. The USSR was embarrassed and blamed their top line and goalie for the loss.

There was nothing impressive about it, except holding on and getting the upset. Gopher fans would have blamed the goalie for letting in soft goals.
                              Now that is what I call an impressive troll.
                              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Uh-oh. Here we go....

Comment

Working...
                                X