Snapshot of the remaining WCHA race -- getting down to the nitty gritty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapshot of the remaining WCHA race -- getting down to the nitty gritty

I'm only looking at the teams I think are still realistically, in theory, in the hunt, with apologies to CC, BSU, MTU, & AA. I also did not factor Wisconsin's home non-conference series with PSU into this anywhere, either. They are the only non-conference games anybody has left of the teams that are "in the hunt".

Remaining schedules:

St. Cloud: 4 home, 8 away Remaining opponent's composite record: 61-56-24
    Wisconsin: 7 home, 4 away, 1 neutral Remaining opponent's composite record: 65-55-20
    North Dakota: 6 home, 6 away Remaining opponent's composite record: 69-55-19
    Minnesota State: 5 home, 5 away Remaining opponent's composite record: 57-47-17
    Minnesota: 5 home, 6 away, 1 neutral Remaining opponent's composite record: 66-57-20
    Denver: 5 home, 5 away Remaining opponent's composite record: 53-49-18
    UNO: 6 home, 6 away Remaining opponent's composite record: 47-64-26

North Dakota faces the toughest remaining schedule.

UNO faces the easiest remaining schedule.

Few observations about each team:

1. St. Cloud has series left with 3 teams on the list, two at home and one on the road.

2. Wisconsin has series left with 4 teams on the list, 1 fully at home, and 2 fully on the road, and, a split at home and on neutral ice with the Gophers.

3. North Dakota has series left with 5 teams on the list, two at home and three on the road.

4. Minnesota State has series left with 2 teams on the list, 1 1/2 at home and 1/2 on the road as they home and away with the Gophers in that series.

5. Minnesota has series left with 4 teams on the list, one fully at home and one fully on the road, a home and away in another, and away and on neutral ice with the last one.

6. Denver has series left with 2 teams on the list, one at home and one on the road.

7. UNO has series left with 2 teams on the list, both of which are at home.

Now, I'll be honest and say that the reason I started this thread is to point out the relatively "easy" (ha!) path UNO has to the MacNaughton. And, UNO's home series against teams in the running are against North Dakota and against Wisconsin, probably, the "team least likely to" in the remaining league race scenario. That said, I have my worries, anyway. UNO is very beat up, is missing some key players, and I don't trust John Faulkner any farther than I can throw him.

I hope I got all my numbers right.

I'll let everybody draw their own conclusions.

Re: Snapshot of the remaining WCHA race -- getting down to the nitty gritty

It is going to be one exciting finish. Which is very fitting for the last year for this league as we know it.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I love how this is shaping up for the last season of the WCHA as we know it today. Going to get very intense down the stretch. The first round of the playoffs should be epic. I can see 4 or so series going to 3 games.
      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        I'm only looking at the teams I think are still realistically, in theory, in the hunt, with apologies to CC, BSU, MTU, & AA. I also did not factor Wisconsin's home non-conference series with PSU into this anywhere, either. They are the only non-conference games anybody has left of the teams that are "in the hunt".

Remaining schedules:

Wisconsin: 7 home, 4 away, 1 neutral Remaining opponent's composite record: 65-55-20
        Minnesota: 5 home, 6 away, 1 neutral Remaining opponent's composite record: 66-57-20

1. St. Cloud has series left with 3 teams on the list, two at home and one on the road.

2. Wisconsin has series left with 4 teams on the list, 1 fully at home, and 2 fully on the road, and, a split at home and on neutral ice with the Gophers.

3. North Dakota has series left with 5 teams on the list, two at home and three on the road.

4. Minnesota State has series left with 2 teams on the list, 1 1/2 at home and 1/2 on the road as they home and away with the Gophers in that series.

5. Minnesota has series left with 4 teams on the list, one fully at home and one fully on the road, a home and away in another, and away and on neutral ice with the last one.

6. Denver has series left with 2 teams on the list, one at home and one on the road.

Now, I'll be honest and say that the reason I started this thread is to point out the relatively "easy" (ha!) path UNO has to the MacNaughton. And, UNO's home series against teams in the running are against North Dakota and against Wisconsin, probably, the "team least likely to" in the remaining league race scenario. That said, I have my worries, anyway. UNO is very beat up, is missing some key players, and I don't trust John Faulkner any farther than I can throw him.

UNO still has two games with BSU on the schedule! Probably the last two times the teams will meet during the regular season.
        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Remaining schedules:

So in other words, if UNO does win the league we can go ahead and dispute that they weren't very good and that they were the beneficiaries of the easiest schedule in the league (BSU, MTU, UMD each for two series), but if UNO doesn't win the league then they should have and they're complete choke artists.

Fantastic.

Also you did get one thing I noticed wrong; you said SCSU has 3 series left with teams "in Red Cows' contention," 2 at home, 1 on the road. Its actually only 1 at home (MN), and either 2 on the road or 1 on the road (UND) and 1 at a 'neutral site' as we play Wisconsin at the Dane this year.
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I assume the gophers and/or SCSU has their destiny in their own hands.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
              Yep
              scsuhockey.com
              CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                Among other things!

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                  So in other words, if UNO does win the league we can go ahead and dispute that they weren't very good and that they were the beneficiaries of the easiest schedule in the league (BSU, MTU, UMD each for two series), but if UNO doesn't win the league then they should have and they're complete choke artists.

Fantastic.

Also you did get one thing I noticed wrong; you said SCSU has 3 series left with teams "in Red Cows' contention," 2 at home, 1 on the road. Its actually only 1 at home (MN), and either 2 on the road or 1 on the road (UND) and 1 at a 'neutral site' as we play Wisconsin at the Dane this year.
                  I really can't argue with your contention about our schedule. All I can say is that it's interesting how much more scrutiny SOS gets in college hockey than in football. Nonetheless, that's the schedule we got this year. That isn't our fault, either. It's up to us to take advantage of it, though.

Also, I considered adding some comments, originally, about what happens if UNO falls on it's face despite the very favorable schedule they have. If they were 100% healthy, I'd agree with you, they'd be choke artists if they blew it. My confidence right now, despite the favorable schedule, isn't the greatest. We are pretty beat up:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013011...t-for-home-ice

............and, predictably, it's important guys that are beat up.

Also, by having less series against contenders, that can work against you as well so it's kind of a double edged sword because then you REALLY don't control your own destiny if you don't beat the teams you are "supposed to".

I'll edit my post above about SCSU. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

The last time SCSU was leading the WCHA in the 2nd half of the season was 1/13/01. Bill Clinton was President.
                    scsuhockey.com
                    CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
                      The last time SCSU was leading the WCHA in the 2nd half of the season was 1/13/01. Bill Clinton was President.
                      And the last time UNO led ANY conference in the 2nd half was--NEVER.

Until last week.

That's another thing that weighs on me where they are concerned. The only person that has "been there, done that" is our head coach. I don't underestimate the size of that "burden" at all. Hopefully, our guys don't get so tight you can't drive a pin up their collective you-know-whats since they are this close right now, with the brass ring in sight.

Comment

My best guess as to the record of all contenders based on their remaining schedule:

UNO, SCSU, & MN 7-3-0
                        ND, WI, & DU 6-4-0
                        MSM 5-3-0

That means, ladies and gentlemen, your '12-'13 WCHA MacNaughton Cup Champions are the St. Cloud State University Huskies.

I did not factor in even so much as a single tie, however. The scenario above gives you league records of:

SCSU 19-8-1
                        UNO 18-8-2
                        MN 17-7-4
                        ND 14-9-5
                        WI 14-9-5
                        DU 14-10-4
                        MSM 15-12-1

Obviously, it's pretty ridiculous to assume there will be NO ties between now and the end of the season. Any that happen will probably have a huge impact, since the league title chase is probably going to be really, really close and looks like it will probably be won by a team with under 40 points.

Anybody else out of this crowd that rises to the top and wins it will have definitely earned the title.

Comment

My best guess as to the record of all contenders based on their remaining schedule:

UNO, SCSU, & MN 7-3-0
                          ND, WI, & DU 6-4-0
                          MSM 5-3-0

That means, ladies and gentlemen, your '12-'13 WCHA MacNaughton Cup Champions are the St. Cloud State University Huskies.

I did not factor in even so much as a single tie, however. The scenario above gives you league records of:

SCSU 19-8-1
                          UNO 18-8-2
                          MN 17-7-4
                          ND 14-9-5
                          WI 14-9-5
                          DU 14-10-4
                          MSM 15-12-1

Obviously, it's pretty ridiculous to assume there will be NO ties between now and the end of the season. Any that happen will probably have a huge impact, since the league title chase is probably going to be really, really close and looks like it will probably be won by a team with under 40 points.

Anybody else out of this crowd that rises to the top and wins it will have definitely earned the title.
                          And who exactly will the Gophers lose to?????
                          - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                          Go you Green and White
                          Go Bemidji Beavers
                          Fight with all your might!
                          Rah! Rah! Rah!
                          We are here to cheer you
                          We are out to win your fame,
                          So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                          Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                            St. Cloud, Denver, and Wisconsin would be my guess.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                              Gophers:

Split with SCSU
                              Split with Wisconsin
                              Sweep Duluth
                              Split with DU
                              Sweep Bemidji

I reserve the right to be wrong. If I am, I bet I don't miss by much. The Gophers are at least pseudo-mortal.

Comment

Working...
                              X