No announcement yet.

>>>>> RIT TIGERS 2012-13: Clawing our way up the standings in the 2nd half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS 2012-13: Clawing our way up the standings in the 2nd half

Because before this last weekend RIT hadn't played well in front of Ruby. He had a great weekend, but it was also against Uconn. They're tied with us in point, and considering how bad both teams are doing, it's not something to celebrate. He's still averaging 3.78 GAA, with 30 goals in 9 games. Not something you'd expect from a D1 goalie that's getting praise. However, like I said before (and you quoted), I hope things get better.

Originally posted by five8five View Post
    I have no idea why you would continue to say that the team hasn't played well with Ruby in net when clearly they have. Let's take a look at the stats for his last three games played:
    Code:
              MIN     SVS    GA    SV%      GF (Scored by RIT)  

Niagara   34:40   19     2    .905      2
    UConn     58:36   33     3    .917      1
    UConn     60      23     1    .958      7

Totals            75     6    .926      10   

Overall GAA: 2.35 
    Overall GFA: 3.92
    RIT Tigers

Comment

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS 2012-13: Clawing our way up the standings in the 2nd half

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
      Because before this last weekend RIT hadn't played well in front of Ruby. He had a great weekend, but it was also against Uconn. They're tied with us in point, and considering how bad both teams are doing, it's not something to celebrate. He's still averaging 3.78 GAA, with 30 goals in 9 games. Not something you'd expect from a D1 goalie that's getting praise. However, like I said before (and you quoted), I hope things get better.

So he had a great weekend but it doesn't count because UConn is tied with RIT in the standings? Air Force is currently in third place and only four points ahead of RIT, would wins against them count or are they not good enough either? How about Niagara? Are they good enough to count? Ruby's stats from the Niagara game on January 26th look pretty darn good considering he hadn't played since December 7th and he came in cold, no warmup.
      Last edited by five8five; 02-07-2013, 01:12 AM. Reason: edited to "darn"

Comment

So he had a great weekend but it doesn't count because UConn is tied with RIT in the standings? Air Force is currently in third place and only four points ahead of RIT, would wins against them count or are they not good enough either? How about Niagara? Are they good enough to count? Ruby's stats from the Niagara game on January 26th look pretty darn good considering he hadn't played since December 7th and he came in cold, no warmup.
        My only scare with Ruby, even though I really like him, is he sometimes seem to be the type that is a knockout Goalie until a goal is scored on him and then it's a question of how quickly he can regain his composure. We even saw last week when the corner started chanting his name he got distracted and let in a goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
          My only scare with Ruby, even though I really like him, is he sometimes seem to be the type that is a knockout Goalie until a goal is scored on him and then it's a question of how quickly he can regain his composure. We even saw last week when the corner started chanting his name he got distracted and let in a goal.
          I'd like to know which goal you are referring to? On Friday night, the first goal was a shot from the point that had eyes in ALOT of traffic; no way he's stopping that one, 2nd goal was a UCONN Power Play goal where he made a big save on the 1st shot and the rebound landed unfortunately on a UCONN stick pretty much in the crease, the 3rd goal was a complete team defensive breakdown; they let a UCONN player walk right into the crease, how's Ruby supposed to stop that? And on Saturday night the only goal was a 5 on 3 which was really a 5 on 2 because Smith didn't have his stick. I'm having a hard time seeing which one of those goals is on Ruby where he "got distracted and let in a goal"

Comment

Ruby did alright against Uconn. Subbing in to a Niagara blowout (at the time he came in anyway) and letting in two goals is not what I would call fantastic. My original point is that neither of these two goalies what we need to be competitive in D1, and based on stats from the first half of the season, I had every right to be terrified of Ruby in net. He does make some great saves, but the fact is GA has been his down fall so far.

RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTown View Post
              I'd like to know which goal you are referring to? On Friday night, the first goal was a shot from the point that had eyes in ALOT of traffic; no way he's stopping that one, 2nd goal was a UCONN Power Play goal where he made a big save on the 1st shot and the rebound landed unfortunately on a UCONN stick pretty much in the crease, the 3rd goal was a complete team defensive breakdown; they let a UCONN player walk right into the crease, how's Ruby supposed to stop that? And on Saturday night the only goal was a 5 on 3 which was really a 5 on 2 because Smith didn't have his stick. I'm having a hard time seeing which one of those goals is on Ruby where he "got distracted and let in a goal"
              Some people blame the goalie when a goal is scored, regardless of the situation on the ice. These people are wrong.
              RIT

Comment

ICYMI, according to his Twitter, Rocky got the call to work tonight's Habs/Sabres game. Gonna strain my ear extra hard to pick up those dulcet tones.

https://twitter.com/34ROCKYP/status/299343120078864384
                The Rochester Institute of Technology
                sigpic

Comment

Ruby did alright against Uconn. Subbing in to a Niagara blowout (at the time he came in anyway) and letting in two goals is not what I would call fantastic. My original point is that neither of these two goalies what we need to be competitive in D1, and based on stats from the first half of the season, I had every right to be terrified of Ruby in net. He does make some great saves, but the fact is GA has been his down fall so far.
                  I just want to throw this out there, As a sophmore Jared DiMichiel's stats looked like this: 6 games played, GAAVG 3.69, Save% .868. Ruby's stat's a sophmore so far: 7 games started, GAAVG 3.78, Save% .891. And DiMichiel took us to the Frozen Four in his senior year. Were you terrified of DeMike too?

Comment

If he had this RIT team in front of him, yes.

Originally posted by SmallTown View Post
                    I just want to throw this out there, As a sophmore Jared DiMichiel's stats looked like this: 6 games played, GAAVG 3.69, Save% .868. Ruby's stat's a sophmore so far: 7 games started, GAAVG 3.78, Save% .891. And DiMichiel took us to the Frozen Four in his senior year. Were you terrified of DeMike too?
                    RIT Tigers

Comment

If he had this RIT team in front of him, yes.
                      DeMike had better teams in front of him with those stats - so you could argue his numbers would have been worse with the current team.

I admit I was nervious when DeMike started getting playing time. But he did what he had to do to improve and became a very good goalie.
                      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2010 Frozen Four participant
                      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                        DeMike had better teams in front of him with those stats - so you could argue his numbers would have been worse with the current team.

I admit I was nervious when DeMike started getting playing time. But he did what he had to do to improve and became a very good goalie.
                        I think Ruby given the chance to play regularly will also improve and become a very good goalie. We're already seeing signs of improvement with his games against UCONN. The point I was trying to make was that I just don't think it's time to be giving up on Ruby or Watson for that matter. We've seen how DeMike was able to improve from similar stats, and I think Ruby can do the same. It's way off base to say things like "I don't think either of these goalies are what we need to be competitive in D1"

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                          Your naivete is pretty humorous. When I come up for the next game at BCA (I imagine that is the next time I will see an RIT game in person), you get me time with any of the coaching staff and/or Athletic department (not a flunky) and I will ask. Not that I would expect an honest answer but I too would be curious to see the reaction.
                          Your arrogance is pretty humorous. You are accusing RIT of violating NCAA rules without any proof.

I've watched as this was suggested to people in the athletic department and with the program. I'd sell tickets to watch you accuse them of breaking the rules.

Lex Sleeman is the compliance officer. Here's his contact info. Make your accusation to him:

http://www.ritathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=16
                          Last edited by Ed Trefzger; 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                            Some people blame the goalie when a goal is scored, regardless of the situation on the ice. These people are wrong.
                            In 'singles' hockey, they would be 'right' but alas, you are correct :

It is still a team sport and most of the time, the other 5 players have much to do with goals against as the goalie does.
                            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                              Your arrogance is pretty humorous. You are accusing RIT of violating NCAA rules without any proof.

I've watched as this was suggested to people in the athletic department and with the program. I'd sell tickets to watch you accuse them of breaking the rules.

Lex Sleeman is the compliance officer. Here's his contact info. Make your accusation to him:

http://www.ritathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=16

Let me settle this. MattS is arrogant AND Ed is Naive!

I do not believe that RIT is violating any NCAA rules, but I also believe that hockey players** get very good treatment in financial aid packages.

**As do lots of other "types" of students such as lacrosse players, orchestra members, female engineers, females of any sort, under-represented ethnic groups, international students, city of Rochester students, etc., etc. The key is that the special treatment can't be any more special than other desired groups of students and it can not be contingent on hockey performance (i.e., it has to be need-based and academic-merit-based just like everyone else on campus). So really, I think RIT is out to recruit the "poor", "smart" hockey players because they can be cost competitive with schools offering athletic scholarships for those players (just like they can for a young lady with a 4.0 in high school that wants to study engineering or computer science). And at RIT they keep their aid package even if they don't play hockey. That can be very attractive to someone looking for an education.
                              -M

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                                Let me settle this. MattS is arrogant AND Ed is Naive!

I do not believe that RIT is violating any NCAA rules, but I also believe that hockey players** get very good treatment in financial aid packages.

**As do lots of other "types" of students such as lacrosse players, orchestra members, female engineers, females of any sort, under-represented ethnic groups, international students, city of Rochester students, etc., etc. The key is that the special treatment can't be any more special than other desired groups of students and it can not be contingent on hockey performance (i.e., it has to be need-based and academic-merit-based just like everyone else on campus). So really, I think RIT is out to recruit the "poor", "smart" hockey players because they can be cost competitive with schools offering athletic scholarships for those players (just like they can for a young lady with a 4.0 in high school that wants to study engineering or computer science). And at RIT they keep their aid package even if they don't play hockey. That can be very attractive to someone looking for an education.
                                They've also had a fair number of well off players who could afford to choose RIT over a cheaper deal at another school. The academics and the fan support are very big factors in getting players to spend more money to go there.

Comment

Working...
                                X