X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. XXIV - Craziest Season Of All Time

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    You've brought up good points but in a sport with already dwindling attendance in a lot of places (including the team we follow), your theory would absolutely murder attendance numbers across the board. Hockey isn't the sport basketball is where they can draw 13k regardless of the night. You could play Wisconsin/Minnesota on a Wednesday in hockey at the Kohl Center and not draw 10k. The marginal potential gain in ad revenue (remember, spread out through 14 teams now, even though 8 don't have hockey) for a random week night hockey game isn't enough to offset the potential revenue losses from attendance decline of doing away with weekend series.

Yes, there will be occasional Thursday and Sunday games, but I do not foresee the Big Ten going to single game system, especially when you have to play each team in the conference four times per season. Basketball only plays twice per season, so they are only making one trip (max) to each town. It's just not financially feasible to make two trips to these towns per season for single games, especially since Wisconsin charters to most of these places.
    Basketball: 11 road trips per season
    Hockey (single game per trip): 10 road trips per season.

That's not even counting if you play one team on Friday and a different team on Sunday.

It isn't even about ad revenue with the BTN, it is that move live events means that they can request higher carrier fees from the cable/sat networks.

Filling all of the Wednesdays between the end of the football season and the conference tournament would require each team to play in 2 Wednesday games.

I'm not saying that it will happen overnight, but I would not be surprised to see it in the next 5-10 years.

UW's attendance problems are the result of putting a generally unappealing and clearly sub-par product on the ice far to regularly over the past 7 seasons. People will come out to see a winning team play engaging hockey, even on a Wednesday, for any of the Big Ten programs.

Comment

Sorry to butt in here, but I'm wondering if there's anyone who could make me a copy of the Soldier's Field game. My DVR died, may it rest in peace, and I'd be happy to pay any expenses. You can reply to the email address in my profile. Thanks very much.
      "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

• Originally posted by Carter View Post
        Sorry to butt in here, but I'm wondering if there's anyone who could make me a copy of the Soldier's Field game. My DVR died, may it rest in peace, and I'd be happy to pay any expenses. You can reply to the email address in my profile. Thanks very much.
        Have you checked to see if the BTN is going to replay it? I have to imagine they will at some point. They often do with regular games.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

My family had saturday night season tickets for years. We dropped our season tickets this year due to the weird scheduling (sun -monday, no minnesota game, etc...) We live about a 1 1/2 hours from Madison so weeknights would be a major pain. If they go back to a normal Fri/Sat series this year we will opt back in for tickets. If not we may stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by badger83 View Post
            My family had saturday night season tickets for years. We dropped our season tickets this year due to the weird scheduling (sun -monday, no minnesota game, etc...) We live about a 1 1/2 hours from Madison so weeknights would be a major pain. If they go back to a normal Fri/Sat series this year we will opt back in for tickets. If not we may stay away.
            Exactly.

Football and hockey have large chunks of their season ticketholders that are from around the state that come into town for the games. Not sure how basketball manages to get 'em in if they're coming in on weekdays or filling the stands with Madison people, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for them.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

The saturday night ticket holders totally got the shaft this season. A monday game, no minnesota, and a friday night game (can be difficult if you are traveling a distance and can't get off work early). If I didn't share tickets on saturday I would have dumped them. I live in Madison and would have just bought single game tix for the series I wanted to see, but my friend wanted to keep them, so I stuck w/ it.

I will be very interested to see how the schedule turns out next season, and see which hypothesis presented by others here may turn out true. I hope Chuck is right, but my gut tells me that fri/sat series will slowly stop being the norm.
              Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
              Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
              Originally posted by UWisco
              It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Live 70 minutes from the KC parking, there's no way I'm even considering attending games on Monday-Thursday. I'd be taking kids who need to get to bed at a decent hour and I need to get up for work in the am. I'm breaking this rule with the Sunday Penn St. game, but one can catch a nap Sunday aft if needed in prep for a later Sunday.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Did anyone else notice UW players have begun using drop passes again? friggin finally a tinge of creativity. I don't recall seeing this in earlier games (and haven't seen much of it since the Sauer years really) this season but in both Rat games UW players attempted drop passes...no-one shot off those drops (which I feel they should have in a couple of instances) but at least they tried
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                    The saturday night ticket holders totally got the shaft this season. A monday game, no minnesota, and a friday night game (can be difficult if you are traveling a distance and can't get off work early). If I didn't share tickets on saturday I would have dumped them. I live in Madison and would have just bought single game tix for the series I wanted to see, but my friend wanted to keep them, so I stuck w/ it.

I will be very interested to see how the schedule turns out next season, and see which hypothesis presented by others here may turn out true. I hope Chuck is right, but my gut tells me that fri/sat series will slowly stop being the norm.
                    Yes they did. I have both nights, but a lot of the guys around me on Saturday were complaining about the tickets this year due to just your reasons. I don't think this bodes well for next year, when you also consider the product. I could live with a Friday night, Sunday afternoon or even a Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon. But school nights for the "Saturday" tickets and you can bet a a lot of families won't be attending those games.

Honestly, my 2 younger kids prefer the LaBahn Arena and women's games over men's and the Kohl Center. I got season tickets for the women's games this year and it is a fun place to watch hockey.
                    Last edited by WiscTJK; 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM.
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                      Yes they did. I have both nights, but a lot of the guys around me on Saturday were complaining about the tickets this year due to just your reasons. I don't think this bodes well for next year, when you also consider the product. I could live with a Friday night, Sunday afternoon or even a Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon. But school nights for the "Saturday" tickets and you can bet a a lot of families won't be attending those games.

Honestly, my 2 younger kids prefer the LaBahn Arena and women's games over men's and the Kohl Center. I got season tickets for the women's games this year and it is a fun place to watch hockey.
                      Agreed on the Women's hockey. I didn't make many games this season despite my season tickets, but the ones I did were loud and I like being right on top the action like that. I like loud a lot, and the KC hasn't been very loud for quite a few seasons.
                      Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                      Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                      Originally posted by UWisco
                      It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                        And at a fraction of the cost of the men's games.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post

Fri-Sat BT hockey series will all be eliminated....it will most be Sun-Mon...a couple yrs down the road this will be the normal schedule.....

Comment

Besse is destroying Armstrong tonight. Jerks.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              Besse is destroying Armstrong tonight. Jerks.
                              Yeah, 4 goals in the game already. It is Armstrong, but still. Man oh man.
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Ha, not to fear, Bucky will suck all the offense out of him by the end of his freshmen year.

Comment

Working...
                                X