PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern at Boston University 1/18

Pages : 1 [2] 3

brassbonanza
01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
I wanted to see Maguire start this game and I believe it should be a 4-2 BU win.

Maguire is starting tonight.

Terrance
01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
The Harvard loss, while bad, is IMO making people forget the relative consistency the rest of the season, they have no other losses (or ties) to teams outside the top 10 (as of a week ago, not sure if DU or UND have dropped slightly out). More than any BU team in recent memory they beat who they are supposed to beat.

I absolutely agree with this. But O'Connor has been inconsistant and it's beginning to seem that BU is beginning to revert back to its old self in the second half. BU needs a dominant performance here, not necessarily on the scoreboard (although they need to win), but more in puck posession, goaltending, and discipline to show they have gone back to their early season play.

If I were NU in this game, I'd get chippy (and I'm sure they will), especially with Privatera. Get BU to commit stupid penalties and wear them down on special teams. Hold the puck and play defensive-offense (keep your defenders on defense and maintain posession in the offensive zone) and offensive-defense (high pressure on the forecheck). The last thing NU wants here is high-speed back and forth hockey. If Privatera loses his cool, BU is in trouble.

brassbonanza
01-18-2013, 02:48 PM
I absolutely agree with this. But O'Connor has been inconsistant and it's beginning to seem that BU is beginning to revert back to its old self in the second half.

O'Connor has been inconsistent for two games. Let's not forget that prior to the winter break, he started three games in a row against the #1 team in the country, two on the road, and went 2-1. Prior to that, he had two losses all season, to those same #1 teams in the country in which he played relatively well. Yes, he was terrible in the DU game (everyone was), and put forth one of the worst goalie performance I've ever seen here in the Harvard game, but let's not act like this is some long term trend of hot and cold play, it's really relegated to about two games. If you'd asked anyone on this board up until that Denver game who you'd want to see in net for the first Beanpot game, I'd bet nearly everyone would say O'Connor without much hesitation. His play in big games has been the most consistent, while Maguire had been racking up wins against lowly competition. I'm not sure he even faced one true scoring chance in the St. Lawrence game.

defkit
01-18-2013, 03:17 PM
O'Connor has been inconsistent for two games. Let's not forget that prior to the winter break, he started three games in a row against the #1 team in the country, two on the road, and went 2-1. Prior to that, he had two losses all season, to those same #1 teams in the country in which he played relatively well. Yes, he was terrible in the DU game (everyone was), and put forth one of the worst goalie performance I've ever seen here in the Harvard game, but let's not act like this is some long term trend of hot and cold play, it's really relegated to about two games. If you'd asked anyone on this board up until that Denver game who you'd want to see in net for the first Beanpot game, I'd bet nearly everyone would say O'Connor without much hesitation. His play in big games has been the most consistent, while Maguire had been racking up wins against lowly competition. I'm not sure he even faced one true scoring chance in the St. Lawrence game.

Exacatly. O'Connor has been bad for two games, but was the #1 going into that first one against Denver. Now Maguire seems to be the hot goalie. Long-term, the goaltending situation for BU is a very good one. It's looking a lot more like McKersie/Herlofsky (even though they split time with Casman as freshmen) than Millan/Rollheiser.

Happy Husky
01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Our first live game this year tonight (hooray!),just really happy to see some Hockey tonight,I am aware that my Huskies are outmatched on paper,but believe the "any team on any night" possibilities here and hopefully predict a 4-3 Huskies win,with Karlsson back in the lineup and scoresheet with Roy-Go Huskies!!:)

Agganis
01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
O'Connor has been inconsistent for two games.

False. He consistently gave up 6 goals in both of those games,

BrocktonNU
01-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Wow through 2 pleasantly surprised. BU looks completely flat and is absolutely getting outworked by NU. Ferriero with a filthy dangle, albeit a little lucky on that 5th goal. As happy as I am with the Huskies performance so far it can always change with a poor showing in the 3rd along with BU maybe waking up for at least 1 period this game.

NCAAfan500
01-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Wow through 2 pleasantly surprised. BU looks completely flat and is absolutely getting outworked by NU. Ferriero with a filthy dangle, albeit a little lucky on that 5th goal. As happy as I am with the Huskies performance so far it can always change with a poor showing in the 3rd along with BU maybe waking up for at least 1 period this came.Spoke too soon what a crap squad NU is.

BrocktonNU
01-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Spoke too soon what a crap squad NU is.
Spoke too soon, or saw it coming?

northeastern
01-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Spoke too soon what a crap squad NU is.

..correct on both counts..

Terrance
01-18-2013, 09:36 PM
And Maguire gets the start tonight. I won't know how to feel about that until this game is over.

Bad.

BrocktonNU
01-18-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't think either team walks away feeling very good. BU lost to a vastly inferior opponent and was sleep walking for two periods. At the end of the day a win is a win for Northeastern but it was very frustrating watching how quickly they crumbled in the early 3rd period to squander their lead. Must have been an awesome moment for Saponari netting the game winner.

Terrance
01-18-2013, 10:06 PM
I don't think either team walks away feeling very good. BU lost to a vastly inferior opponent and was sleep walking for two periods. At the end of the day a win is a win for Northeastern but it was very frustrating watching how quickly they crumbled in the early 3rd period to squander their lead. Must have been an awesome moment for Saponari netting the game winner.

In what world does NU not feel good about that win?

northeastern
01-18-2013, 10:29 PM

..why don't you worry about your team.. (which gave up 6 goals again).. and we'll worry about ours.. who clearly, is not very good.
:)

RossiRules
01-18-2013, 10:40 PM
I paid $140 bucks for 4 seats at the glass row 1 in sec 111. I had a great time giving crap to BU kids 25 years younger than me and having actual beers in the concessions. However, we folded like a tent in the 3rd and gave up 3 goals in 5 minutes! That’s unacceptable. Roy, Vinny and Cody are the real deal of course, all are offensively talent and that’s great, but our D, all 3 lines, are very suspect and in every game since the e the Harvard game Rawlings looks lost between the pipes, he really didn’t have a great save all night. So, “yes” happy of course, with 2 points but this was not text book hockey by any means. We got lucky against a BU team that played poorly and had only slighter worse goal tending than us.

BrocktonNU
01-18-2013, 10:59 PM

From a fans standpoint yes I am happy beating BU but this game didn't exactly instill confidence in me about the Huskies. It's actually quite frightening seeing how quick the wheels can come off for NU. I'm sure everyone from NU from players to fans are happy to get 2 points but also know they were a little lucky to escape with a 6-5 win. Both teams looked like crap.

Jacques Joubert
01-18-2013, 11:11 PM
From a fans standpoint yes I am happy beating BU but this game didn't exactly instill confidence in me about the Huskies. It's actually quite frightening seeing how quick the wheels can come off for NU. I'm sure everyone from NU from players to fans are happy to get 2 points but also know they were a little lucky to escape with a 6-5 win. Both teams looked like crap.

I agree. This was a similar "video game like" performance to the Harvard-BU game. Both teams looked really bad but I think NU was more determined, controlled the puck, and had more hop. The better team won for sure.

Happy Husky
01-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Went to the game,had a great time with the children (one with a Husky dog stuffed animal-cute,good family time),I'm just so stinkin happy for a win,yes a win with some reservations,and big one's but at the end of the night beside myself that they won and at Agganis to boot!:)

brassbonanza
01-19-2013, 01:53 AM
If only the whistle isn't blown when the ref lost sight of the puck (which was understandable from his position, but it was lose the whole time) it's 3-1 BU in the 1st and who knows what happens from there.

defkit
01-19-2013, 07:45 AM
I have never seen such an aggressive forecheck by NU as I saw in that game. BU simply couldn't deal with it.

Roy is the real deal. Noonan did his best to try to get under his skin.