PDA

View Full Version : DU @ SCSU: Might As Well Watch Some Hockey Since the NFL Playoffs Went so Well

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Dude Love
01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Were you not paying attention to the attendance stats earlier?

I was. I just wanted them to acknowledge the box I just put them in. Carry on. :)

hockeykrazy
01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
I forgot to mention that my kids prefer the Granite City Lumberjacks vs the Huskies. They have been on a three year run of winning the MN Jr tier 3 and last year National Champs plus they serve beer, have 2-3 fights and we win once in awhile at chuck a puck. After the last game against Northern Michigan where we went catatonic for most of 2 periods I'm not sure they even want to attend the Huskies anymore. The atmosphere was completely dead without the student section.

The sponge pucks with the vinyl sheets have to go, it is almost impossible to win. I usually count less than 10 for over 1000 pucks.

dggoddard
01-17-2013, 12:44 PM
I was. I just wanted them to acknowledge the box I just put them in. Carry on. :)Is that the same box that SCSU President Earl Potter was using when he said he didn't want to join the NCHC, while secretly begging Gino Gasparini to save his azz and get St Cloud invited to the league?

goldy_331
01-17-2013, 12:46 PM
I forgot to mention that my kids prefer the Granite City Lumberjacks vs the Huskies. They have been on a three year run of winning the MN Jr tier 3 and last year National Champs plus they serve beer, have 2-3 fights and we win once in awhile at chuck a puck. After the last game against Northern Michigan where we went catatonic for most of 2 periods I'm not sure they even want to attend the Huskies anymore. The atmosphere was completely dead without the student section.

Glad you are getting them started early. :p

Dude Love
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Is that the same box that SCSU President Earl Potter was using when he said he didn't want to join the NCHC, while secretly begging Gino Gasparini to save his azz and get St Cloud invited to the league?

I think it was established a long time ago that even the SCSU fanbase is in agreement that our administration made our program look like complete idiots that summer (and we can't agree on ANYTHING). You'll get no argument from me.

SCSU Euro
01-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Sure. Was that the only season in the past decade that happened?

That what happened? That we had better attendance than DU? No, in the previous 11 seasons (as far back as USCHO shows) 6 have had SCSU with a higher attendance, 5 for DU. This year DU will tie it up at 6. But over the last 12 years DU has had 2 NCs, more top-end years and less ****-tastic years. The reason I pointed out '10-'11 was that was our worst year in quite some time and we still edged out DU who had a really good team that year.

Agreed the economy coupled with the price of tickets is brutal. It's not a issue for my group, as we buy season tickets without hesitation but the casual fan may have a harder time justifying it. People have asked me how much tickets are in the past because they wanted to check it out and after telling them the price they were immediately turned off. A conference game could cost a family of 4 $120 bucks.
Family Four pack (4 tickets, 2 popcorns, something else maybe, for $50) which they started last year is a good deal but not sure how many people know about it.

The Family Four Pack was amazing. And maybe its changed but a couple years ago as a Christmas present I took my girlfriend, her two cousins and my little brother and we got tix for an MTU game (figure if they only see one game why not guarantee a win? :D). I picked out the specific seats I wanted and was getting ready to pay $100. The lady goes, "Oh... do you wanna do the Family Four Pack?" I ask what it was and she told me four tickets, four popcorns, four hot dogs, four sodas: $50. I was like, "That sounds great, but I'm sure I can't get the seats I want." Nope, good for the exact same seats. I was like, "That's perfect but there's 5 of us." They threw on the extra ticket for the regular $20 price.

So basically she asked me if I wanted 4 hot dogs, popcorns, sodas (so feed the kids and keep them entertained so I could watch more of the game) for -$30.

SCSU Euro
01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Is that the same box that SCSU President Earl Potter was using when he said he didn't want to join the NCHC, while secretly begging Gino Gasparini to save his azz and get St Cloud invited to the league?

Nowhere did he say anything related to that. Do you need "box" explained to you? If so, please call this number: 651-989-5102

Fighting Sioux 23
01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
That what happened? That we had better attendance than DU? No, in the previous 11 seasons (as far back as USCHO shows) 6 have had SCSU with a higher attendance, 5 for DU. This year DU will tie it up at 6. But over the last 12 years DU has had 2 NCs, more top-end years and less ****-tastic years. The reason I pointed out '10-'11 was that was our worst year in quite some time and we still edged out DU who had a really good team that year.

Thanks for the research. What's the overall attendance averages (with capacity if possible) between these two schools over that time period? It seems like SCSU and DU fill up their rinks to pretty darn near equal levels.

Dude Love
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Nowhere did he say anything related to that. Do you need "box" explained to you? If so, please call this number: 651-989-5102

Please tell me that's the direct line to the Common Man. :)

hockeykrazy
01-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Potter had to destroy his own box when half of the fan base called him personally and asked him what he was doing/saying.
I think he actually meant it but everyone else convinced him he didn't have a clue.

GopherFan89
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
These issues are affecting pretty much every college hockey program.

Would be interesting to know the drop-off in season ticket holders at each school.

Sure isn't affecting the Gophers or the UND's hockey programs. Mariucci is **** near filled to the brim most games (impossible to buy two seats together from Gopher's ticket office) with only standing room available for certain games. Not sure about UND, but Gopher hockey tickets are also more expensive than SCSU's so not sure the economy can be blamed.

SCSU Euro
01-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Please tell me that's the direct line to the Common Man. :)

Only from noon to 3. I was actually more hoping PA would explain it to him.

SCSU Euro
01-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Sure isn't affecting the Gophers or the UND's hockey programs. Mariucci is **** near filled to the brim most games (impossible to buy two seats together from Gopher's ticket office) with only standing room available for certain games. Not sure about UND, but Gopher hockey tickets are also more expensive than SCSU's so not sure the economy can be blamed.

The number and percentage of tickets bought for Gophers games by companies vs. individual fans is vastly different too.

dggoddard
01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Great two out of 58 programs hanging on with sellouts, but not showing gains either.

Even the Gophers suffered staggering losses on their Priority Waiting List a year or two ago when the new seat license plan was announced. And Gopher corpie "no-shows" are the stuff of legends.

Pump It Up
01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Potter had to destroy his own box when half of the fan base called him personally and asked him what he was doing/saying.
I think he actually meant it but everyone else convinced him he didn't have a clue.

This. I think Potter actually believed what he said, but the overwhelmingly negative response by alumni/boosters behooved him to get Gino to save his bacon.

D'ohkay. The Gophers are a larger university, with a larger fan base, in a metro area with 3.3 million residents, as opposed to the 200,000 or so that call the St. Cloud area home. There is also the tradition aspect, with Minnesota and North Dakota being powerhouses since the dawn of time whereas SCSU went D-I in the late 1980's. I'm not trying to make excuses and I wish the NHC was sold out for every game, but come on man.

GopherFan89
01-17-2013, 02:22 PM
This. I think Potter actually believed what he said, but the overwhelmingly negative response by alumni/boosters behooved him to get Gino to save his bacon.

D'ohkay. The Gophers are a larger university, with a larger fan base, in a metro area with 3.3 million residents, as opposed to the 200,000 or so that call the St. Cloud area home. There is also the tradition aspect, with Minnesota and North Dakota being powerhouses since the dawn of time whereas SCSU went D-I in the late 1980's. I'm not trying to make excuses and I wish the NHC was sold out for every game, but come on man.

Minneapolis and the U are bigger than Saint Cloud and SCSU, yep, but how do you explain UND and Grand Forks (smaller student and city population) filling a stadium twice the NHEC?

Pump It Up
01-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Minneapolis and the U are bigger than Saint Cloud and SCSU, yep, but how do you explain UND and Grand Forks (smaller student and city population) filling a stadium twice the NHEC?

As I noted, UND has been a powerhouse forever. Kids growing up in North Dakota or NW Minnesota (myself included) are raised to be Sioux hockey freaks. 7 national championships, rock solid teams every year, and a gorgeous arena will do that. While I wish it were the same for kids growing up in Central Minnesota, it's not and likely never will be.

Tipsy McStagger
01-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Is it possible that Potter meant what he said, then after Gasparini and Motzko told him what a boneheaded move it was he changed his mind?

Pump It Up
01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Is it possible that Potter meant what he said, then after Gasparini and Motzko told him what a boneheaded move it was he changed his mind?

Yes.

Tipsy McStagger
01-17-2013, 02:58 PM

It might have been affecting the Gophers program in the years they weren't at the top of the league, because I can guarantee you that in 08-09, 09-10 and 10-11 there were plenty of empty seats at Mariucci.