PDA

View Full Version : DU @ SCSU: Might As Well Watch Some Hockey Since the NFL Playoffs Went so Well

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

vizoroo
01-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Since it's Wednesday does that mean someone should mention hockey?

Pump It Up
01-16-2013, 08:39 PM

Hockey.

First Time, Long Time
01-16-2013, 09:47 PM
How much does St. Cloud "care" about DU?
Tickets are buy one get one online.
Yeah, big rival.

duper
01-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Nobody said our team is more important. I just said you guys get more fans at your cross country skiing meets than hockey games
Hence the ? after the word important. I knew it wasn't the right word, I just couldn't find the right one.

Exactly. I never said we were important. I said nobody cares about DU. :)This may be, but when you lead off with a comment like "Does anyone other than CC care about Denver?" it does tend to make it appear that you think someone outside your own town cares about your team, because why would you woof about our team unless you think your team is better? Just sayin... :D

The fact is, very few people that I interact with on a daily basis know that DU has a hockey team, or that they have, historically speaking, one of the best hockey teams in the country. It's not even terribly unusual to run across someone in Denver who doesn't know where DU is, which amuses me because you can't drive across town on I-25 without driving right past it. There are some reasons why DU attendance may pick up in coming years, but as far as most Denver people are concerned, if you ain't the Broncos, and you didn't win a championship last season, we don't much care about you. It would be interesting to see a poll on how people attending any given Colorado Avalanche game know which player on their roster went to DU.

SCSU Euro
01-16-2013, 11:41 PM

You're thinking of Thursday

The Rube
01-16-2013, 11:47 PM
You're thinking of Thursday

*nods*

Dude Love
01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
This may be, but when you lead off with a comment like "Does anyone other than CC care about Denver?" it does tend to make it appear that you think someone outside your own town cares about your team, because why would you woof about our team unless you think your team is better? Just sayin... :D

I think they do. If UMD, Mankato, BSU, and most Minnesota fans don't get more amped up to play us than DU there's something wrong.

duper
01-17-2013, 12:44 AM
I think they do. If UMD, Mankato, BSU, and most Minnesota fans don't get more amped up to play us than DU there's something wrong.I see. So your original post was merely a casual observation about the number of fans, and was in no way intended as smack-talking. I gotcha. Just so you know, I'm not interested in buying your bridge in San Francisco, no matter how shiny and red it is. :D

Dude Love
01-17-2013, 01:25 AM
I see. So your original post was merely a casual observation about the number of fans, and was in no way intended as smack-talking. I gotcha. Just so you know, I'm not interested in buying your bridge in San Francisco, no matter how shiny and red it is. :D

No...it was smack talk. I'm just not blowing smoke. I actually think that. Smack talk is different from trolling. :)

dggoddard
01-17-2013, 09:23 AM
I think they do. If UMD, Mankato, BSU, and most Minnesota fans don't get more amped up to play us than DU there's something wrong.In the past decade, tickets for DU games at Minnesota, North Dakota & Wisconsin have been some of the most highly attended, most sought after & most expensive tickets of the season.

This is because DU is often ranked in the Top 5 if not #1 when the Pioneers roll into town. If St. Cloud was a top ranked team, DU games would be packed to the rafters at the National Hockey Center.

Its not us, its you.

duper
01-17-2013, 09:29 AM
No...it was smack talk. I'm just not blowing smoke. I actually think that. Smack talk is different from trolling. :)I understand. But when I said something about it, you SEEMED to be suggesting that you hadn't really meant what you said. Perhaps I read too much into it. :) I was actually hoping you'd hang in and continue talking smack, but instead you seemed to back off. It was disappointing.

In any case, it definitely isn't news that DU games are not well attended. That said, ten years ago I could walk up to the arena box office three hours before game time and get tickets on the glass. It is getting better. But, like dg said, St. Cloud is definitely not a draw for local fans.

Go4PuckFan2.0
01-17-2013, 09:29 AM
In the past decade, tickets for DU games at Minnesota, North Dakota & Wisconsin have been some of the most highly attended, most sought after & most expensive tickets of the season.

This is because DU is often ranked in the Top 5 if not #1 when the Pioneers roll into town. If St. Cloud was a top ranked team, DU games would be packed to the rafters at the National Hockey Center.

Its not us, its you.

Ouch

Dude Love
01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
In the past decade, tickets for DU games at Minnesota, North Dakota & Wisconsin have been some of the most highly attended, most sought after & most expensive tickets of the season.

Its not us, its you.

So how come nobody goes to YOUR home game? :)

Fighting Sioux 23
01-17-2013, 10:40 AM
So how come nobody goes to YOUR home game? :)

Were you not paying attention to the attendance stats earlier?

SCSU Euro
01-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Its not us, its you.

You're right, it is us. You see last year was the first time since '01-'02 that SCSU wasn't in the top 10 in the nation in attendance per game. Now I can't tell you why, I'm not in the area and don't know all that's going on, but for whatever reason, our attendance has really dropped off.

That being said, the 3 previous series we had just fine numbers for DU. 5,942 5,984 6,072 6,014 5,986 6,011. The thing was, those numbers were right around our averages for those three years 5,988 5,872 and 5,971. A little bit above average for most, but never more than 200 more than the season average. Hell, in January of '05 there was a huge snow storm when you guys came to town and it was the lowest attended series of the season for us, and we still had numbers of 5,500 both nights.

So its not that we don't show up when you guys come to town and its not like we show up because you guys are in town... the last decade's worth of numbers shows we show up to games regardless most years and frankly we wouldn't care if it was you or South Carolina State (the other SCSU).

SCSU Euro
01-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Were you not paying attention to the attendance stats earlier?

You mean like in 2010-2011 when DU finished second in the conference, was a 2 seed in the NCAAs, while SCSU finished 9th in the league and still had over 500 more people per game show up?

Fighting Sioux 23
01-17-2013, 11:26 AM
You mean like in 2010-2011 when DU finished second in the conference, was a 2 seed in the NCAAs, while SCSU finished 9th in the league and still had over 500 more people per game show up?

Sure. Was that the only season in the past decade that happened?

hockeykrazy
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
I think attendance has dropped off for a number of reasons.
1) Ticket prices went up so now they are doing more promos
2) The economy
3) I think it is the first year that all of the home games are on Charter 87 - so you can DVR
4) There are a lot of other venues to follow that are cheaper. (HS and Jr Hockey)

Duder
01-17-2013, 11:41 AM
I think attendance has dropped off for a number of reasons.
1) Ticket prices went up so now they are doing more promos
2) The economy
3) I think it is the first year that all of the home games are on Charter 87

Agreed the economy coupled with the price of tickets is brutal. It's not a issue for my group, as we buy season tickets without hesitation but the casual fan may have a harder time justifying it. People have asked me how much tickets are in the past because they wanted to check it out and after telling them the price they were immediately turned off. A conference game could cost a family of 4 $120 bucks.
Family Four pack (4 tickets, 2 popcorns, something else maybe, for $50) which they started last year is a good deal but not sure how many people know about it.

dggoddard
01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Agreed the economy coupled with the price of tickets is brutal. It's not a issue for my group, as we buy season tickets without hesitation but the casual fan may have a harder time justifying it. People have asked me how much tickets are in the past because they wanted to check it out and after telling them the price they were immediately turned off. A conference game could cost a family of 4 $120 bucks.
Family Four pack (4 tickets, 2 popcorns, something else maybe, for $50) which they started last year is a good deal but not sure how many people know about it.These issues are affecting pretty much every college hockey program.

Would be interesting to know the drop-off in season ticket holders at each school.