Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big 10 HC Rules

Big 10 HC Rules

Rule #1: Only schedule non-conference games against schools that will accecpt this explaination; "Sure we'll put you on our schedule, but only if you come here. Playing us is such an honor all by itself, you can't expect us to reciprocate."
    Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
      Big 10 HC Rules

Rule #1: Only schedule non-conference games against schools that will accecpt this explaination; "Sure we'll put you on our schedule, but only if you come here. Playing us is such an honor all by itself, you can't expect us to reciprocate."
      You can't say that with a straight face now, although in theory it used to be correct. For the record, for instance, Michigan has traveled to Boston and New Hampshire within the past few years (yes, the deals were reciprocated.) They will go to Houghton next season. They will go to RIT. They owe Union, Bentley and Northeastern a return gig....yet it is unclear if it will happen.

What fans of lesser reknowned schools have to understand is, the schedule put together by Michigan, again, for instance, was hamstrung by the limited nonconference dates- taken up by the commitment to the GLI and, at one time, the CHS. Money talks when you have reached the peak of the mountain a few times and you can dictate the terms of NC agreements to your own benefit. Not so much when Berenson took over in '84, though and their NC travel was more extensive.

Your "rule" wasn't just B1G teams, either. Look at some of the other hitters and check out their NC schedules in the past.

Comment

PSU lost at home to Division III Neumann last night ... way to represent for the future B1G Hockey Conference! I would predict a winless B1G regular season for PSU next year, but they do get to play Ohio State four times.

Comment

Originally posted by UND92UMNLaw99 View Post
          PSU lost at home to Division III Neumann last night ... way to represent for the future B1G Hockey Conference! I would predict a winless B1G regular season for PSU next year, but they do get to play Ohio State four times.
          Congratulations for being the 1 millionth idiot to talk about current conference standings as if it's the way things will always be.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            Congratulations for being the 1 millionth idiot to talk about current conference standings as if it's the way things will always be.
            Here comes the 1,000,001st...

Its not the way things will always be, but its certainly not trending in expected direction.

Most people assumed that the B1G would automatically put three to five teams in the tourney every single year.

What's changed? CHL poaching players that the B1G teams traditionally had the pick of the litter.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              Who said anything about conference standings? Just pointing out that PSU isn't doing anything to change expectations that they will be a conference punching bag next season .. the other B1G teams have got to be licking their chops. Should be 4 wins for every team except OSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtn2GoldCountry View Post
                The value of a diploma from a B1G university also factor into the decisions of some young men.

They come in roll form for two reasons: Easier to hand out at graduation and reminds graduates of the street value of their degree when looking for a job.

Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  Here comes the 1,000,001st...

Its not the way things will always be, but its certainly not trending in expected direction.

Most people assumed that the B1G would automatically put three to five teams in the tourney every single year.

What's changed? CHL poaching players that the B1G teams traditionally had the pick of the litter.
                  They probably will put 3 in every year (Mich, Gophers, Sconny) with 4 and maybe 5 not out of the question down the road. I love how you all come out of the woodwork when PSU loses a game to a team you all think they should beat. They are still basically a club team, what do you expect. When they get a year or 2 of good recruiting under them they will be fine, I'm sure future recruits would rather play for a B1G school like PSU than some crappy low level NCHC team.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                    They probably will put 3 in every year (Mich, Gophers, Sconny) with 4 and maybe 5 not out of the question down the road.
                    I really didn't wanna get involved but you do realize the three teams you mentioned haven't all been in the tournament in the same year since '08 right? And when they fail to this year, that'll be 5 years in a row. I am not in any way saying that the Big Ten will be terrible, I don't feel that's the case at all, but to just pencil in those three doesn't seem to be too strong of an argument.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                      I really didn't wanna get involved but you do realize the three teams you mentioned haven't all been in the tournament in the same year since '08 right? And when they fail to this year, that'll be 5 years in a row. I am not in any way saying that the Big Ten will be terrible, I don't feel that's the case at all, but to just pencil in those three doesn't seem to be too strong of an argument.
                      ebbs and flows...

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        You can't say that with a straight face now, although in theory it used to be correct. For the record, for instance, Michigan has traveled to Boston and New Hampshire within the past few years (yes, the deals were reciprocated.) They will go to Houghton next season. They will go to RIT. They owe Union, Bentley and Northeastern a return gig....yet it is unclear if it will happen.

What fans of lesser reknowned schools have to understand is, the schedule put together by Michigan, again, for instance, was hamstrung by the limited nonconference dates- taken up by the commitment to the GLI and, at one time, the CHS. Money talks when you have reached the peak of the mountain a few times and you can dictate the terms of NC agreements to your own benefit. Not so much when Berenson took over in '84, though and their NC travel was more extensive.

Your "rule" wasn't just B1G teams, either. Look at some of the other hitters and check out their NC schedules in the past.
                        Any presumed connection between how Big10 schools scheduled their n/c games in the PAST, and how they WILL operate in the future is out the door. Once they have segregated themselves into their so-called super conference, do you REALLY think Michigan is going to make the bus trip to Big Rapids? No way...they'll say Ferris, you play 3 games here over the next 2 years, and we'll give you 1 'home' game...but we want it played in Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids...and by the way, we want 70% of the gate, and the TV rights.

Sure, the big hitters may get reciprocity (BC, BU, NDak), but most everybody else will get the big freeze. There's just too much $ at stake.
                        Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                          Any presumed connection between how Big10 schools scheduled their n/c games in the PAST, and how they WILL operate in the future is out the door. Once they have segregated themselves into their so-called super conference, do you REALLY think Michigan is going to make the bus trip to Big Rapids? No way...they'll say Ferris, you play 3 games here over the next 2 years, and we'll give you 1 'home' game...but we want it played in Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids...and by the way, we want 70% of the gate, and the TV rights.

Sure, the big hitters may get reciprocity (BC, BU, NDak), but most everybody else will get the big freeze. There's just too much $ at stake.
                          This isn't college football where Michigan can pay a punching bag $500,000 to show up. Even schools like Ferris State probably net $50 thousand per home game. No AD is going to let their coach schedule nonconference away games without a payout or a reciprocal game.

And Michigan, DU, CC, Miami and everyone except Minnesota or Wisconsin don't have enough revenue per home game to justify paying more than a couple of dollars to opponents.

Every team out west/midwest is going to be scrambling to find nonconference opponents.
                          Last edited by dggoddard; 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I'm sure future recruits would rather play for a B1G school like PSU than some crappy low level NCHC team.
                            And why are you so sure? How is a "low-level NCHC team" any different than the worst team in the B1G?
                            Originally posted by SJHovey
                            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                            Originally posted by Brenthoven
                            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

They probably will put 3 in every year (Mich, Gophers, Sconny) with 4 and maybe 5 not out of the question down the road. I love how you all come out of the woodwork when PSU loses a game to a team you all think they should beat. They are still basically a club team, what do you expect. When they get a year or 2 of good recruiting under them they will be fine, I'm sure future recruits would rather play for a B1G school like PSU than some crappy low level NCHC team.
                              Won't it be tough for a 4th or 5th place team to make the NCAA's? They probably would be below .500 in conference and I don't know if a unbeaten non conference schedule would get a team like that in.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                                Won't it be tough for a 4th or 5th place team to make the NCAA's? They probably would be below .500 in conference and I don't know if a unbeaten non conference schedule would get a team like that in.
                                I'm curious how often (if ever) a team has run their non-conference schedule only to fall below .500 in conference play. Those two stats just don't seem to go together very well.

It will be extremely difficult for bottom half teams in any conference to make the NCAA Tournament (minus winning conference tournament). I'd also be curious to see just how many have done so since 2003 (when the tourney switched to 16 teams). My guess is a handful or less.

I would break down future conference births in the NCAA Tournament as follows:
                                Hockey East: 4-5
                                B1G: 2-3
                                NCHC: 3-4
                                ECAC: 2-3
                                WCHA: 2-3
                                Atlantic: 1
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X