Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    You're a clever one. Obviously, it makes me feel worse that they played their worst game of the year. If they had to lose, I would much rather they lose while playing well.

And no, I never played Division 1, college hockey. If you did, please enlighten me on how failing to complete a pass in your own zone when the other team is not in the zone shows that the pass failed because of something Minnesota did. Thanks.
    My sport wasn't hockey. But the general principle is universal to high level competition.

When everything has to be better in order to succeed, and everyone involved knows that, it has an effect.
    When plays that used to be routine all of a sudden yield a less positive result, you have to be better in how you execute them than you were previously. All the little things make much more of a difference, and that affects how you play the game. Your focus is diverged. There is a lot more that you have to be aware of. And you have to make an attempt to be faster, cleaner and more aware in even those routine plays, which can lead to a higher failure rate.
    As the level of your competition rises, so does the degree to which you have to deal with all of what I have just said.

If you don't realize that, nothing I say will make a difference.
    Last edited by Stauber1; 01-18-2013, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
      My sport wasn't hockey. But the general principle is universal to high level competition.

When everything has to be better in order to succeed, and everyone involved knows that, it has an effect.
      When plays that used to be routine all of a sudden yield a less positive result, you have to be better in how you execute them than you were previously. All the little things make much more of a difference, and that affects how you play the game. Your focus is diverged. There is a lot more that you have to be aware of. And you have to make an attempt to be faster, cleaner and more aware in even those routine plays, which can lead to a higher failure rate.
      As the level of your competition rises, so does the degree to which you have to deal with all of what I have just said.

So nobody can play their worst game against a good team?
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven
        And we're saying that for the first two periods at least, you held your own, on the road, against a #1 team. You sound like a MN pro sports fan right now, always whining about something.
        You felt that North Dakota played well in the first two periods?

You're confusing the result (a close game in that time frame) with how North Dakota played. They were awful. It was our worst performance of the season. Can't I have my opinion?
        North Dakota

Comment

Brilliant. Thank you Stauber.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven
            And we're saying that for the first two periods at least, you held your own, on the road, against a #1 team. You sound like a MN pro sports fan right now, always whining about something.
            You don't need "pro" in there.
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

You felt that North Dakota played well in the first two periods?

You're confusing the result (a close game in that time frame) with how North Dakota played. They were awful. It was our worst performance of the season. Can't I have my opinion?
              You can, but it's wrong. I thought they played well for the first two. Not great, not horrible, not average. If it weren't for Twocox, I think the game would have ended differently (still a MN win, but that could be tArrogance talking). I think you are too hard on your team tonight. That does happen, most often when facing a rival.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                Hoping for a win from both my alma maters for Hockey Day tomorrow!! Go Red Knights!! Go Sioux!!
                I'll take wins by Thunderhawks and Gopher's, and Wild too while we're at it, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  You can, but it's wrong. I thought they played well for the first two. Not great, not horrible, not average. If it weren't for Twocox, I think the game would have ended differently (still a MN win, but that could be tArrogance talking). I think you are too hard on your team tonight. That does happen, most often when facing a rival.
                  We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, it was our worst performance of the season. We certainly didn't play "well." If anything, our best hockey was in the middle of the third period. I'm hard on my team because I know their capabilities...tonight was an abomination.
                  North Dakota

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, it was our worst performance of the season. We certainly didn't play "well." If anything, our best hockey was in the middle of the third period. I'm hard on my team because I know their capabilities...tonight was an abomination.
                    The third was making me nervous, to be honest.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

So nobody can play their worst game against a good team?
                      Wow, that is an absurdly loaded question. You don't happen to be a lawyer, do you?

Just to play along, I never implied anything of the sort. I only said that to claim the level of your competition doesn't affect how you perform is a naive opinion....
                      Or a coping mechanism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                        Wow, that is an absurdly loaded question. You don't happen to be a lawyer, do you?

Just to play along, I never implied anything of the sort. I only said that to claim the level of your competition doesn't affect how you perform is a naive opinion....
                        Or a coping mechanism.
                        Lol he is a lawyer.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          Why can't Gopher fans just accept the fact that North Dakota played really bad tonight, and probably their worst game of the year tonight? I would think they would rejoice. Your team won for crying out loud...enjoy the victory.
                          Probably because every opponent (except Anchorage last Friday) that has come to Mariucci the last three or four weeks has played their worst game EVAR. According to their fans, of course.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            Probably because every opponent (except Anchorage last Friday) that has come to Mariucci the last three or four weeks has played their worst game EVAR. According to their fans, of course.
                            The Gophers Excuse defense. I'm familiar with that.

Comment

It was North Dakota's worst performance of the season.
                              Horse hockey. UND didn't play great, but they had stretches in which UM was on their heels and I am not going to dig up the comments but your fans have said the same thing about recent performances. I'm not going to proclaim the Gophers are 4 goals better than UND, but the certainly didn't play their best game either for at least portions of those first two periods and Wilcos bailed them out several times over. You're a better analyst than this kind of comment - the Gophers should have been viewed as the better team coming into this series and at least for one game proved it.

Comment

I fully understand that the opponent drastically alters certain pieces of performance. However, there were dozens of wide open passes that were missed. There were dozens of poor decisions made when there was little to no pressure. There was an overall lack of emotion for the majority of the game. North Dakota is too talented a team to let those mistakes happen. Whether they are playing mites, or whether they are playing the '84 Oilers. You can feel free to disagree, and argue that every mistake was a result of Minnesota's play.

FWIW, I'm done arguing this. IMO, it was North Dakota's worst performance of the season. Now, perhaps you've also watched every (minus Saturday against Tech) North Dakota game this season like myself, and feel that there were others that were worse. I don't. Hopefully they play up to their potential tomorrow and make it a better game.

Oh well...at least it wasn't against Denver.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X