PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

skiumah2
01-18-2013, 09:53 AM
This would be the perfect opportunity to continue the fanbase saga, but it's gameday people!!!

Anyone want to talk actual hockey?
This is one of the best Gopher teams I've seen in a very long time. In fact, I'm thinking it may be the best I've seen since the Robb Stauber years. Like those teams of the late '80's, this Gopher team does not seem to have any weaknesses other than complacency. They have moments when they get bored and start thinking about their press clippings. A team that works hard can get the jump on them if the boredom lasts long enough. It's the only way they're dropped games this year. Against the Whioux, there won't be any complacency. However, the Whioux are a quality team in their own right. Also, this is a Hakstool coached team after Christmas. It's uncanny how hard to beat the Whioux are in the 2nd half. At least until April.:D Anyway, you can't look at the up to date season results of these 2 teams and think it will play out like their games against other opponents. There's a different mindset for both teams for this series compared to series' with other teams. I'm not sure what to expect because I haven't seen the Whioux yet. Is Corbin Knight the dominating player Whioux fans describe, or is he the same player I remember from last year who is very good but not scary? Is Danny Kristo the same dominating player I do remember? Has Rocco Grimaldi become the player everyone was predicting? Has anyone else stepped up? If it's the same Whioux team as last year, I predict a sweep for Minnesota. If the Wioux are greatly improved over last year, a split is a more likely prediction. However, I've seen how much better Minnesota is over last year. For that, I'm sticking with a sweep prediction. 3-2 Friday and 6-3 Saturday.

SanTropez
01-18-2013, 10:09 AM
If Haula is healthy and the Gophers can refrain from retaliating from all the cheap shots the whioux will most certainly take after the whistle, I think our PP (25%) and Wilcox will carry us to a sweep. If we get into a wrestling match (the style the whioux love to play) instead of playing actual hockey then it's a split.

gopheritall
01-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Actual hockey talk? That doesn't make much sense with these two teams but here goes.

Minnesota is the better team on paper but the North Dakotas are technically ahead in the WCHA standings (tie breakers) and have played a harder schedule. I think it comes down to goal-tending this weekend and I give the Gophers the advantage. A sweep by either team will be a huge boost for the winner both in the standings and team confidence.

Waiting to see if Haula plays. Last I heard it was a game-time decision and the coaches would rather hold him out than aggravate the injury.

No word yet on who the refs will be giving the game away to but every game the refs are against the Whioux so why would this be different? (I couldn't help myself)

It will be disappointing for both programs to have to wait for the next regular season series but you can bet the the NCAA will do everything in their power to match up the Gophers and the North Dakotas in a regional if they can. You haven't seen the last of us...

Fighting Sioux 23
01-18-2013, 10:23 AM
This is one of the best Gopher teams I've seen in a very long time. In fact, I'm thinking it may be the best I've seen since the Robb Stauber years. Like those teams of the late '80's, this Gopher team does not seem to have any weaknesses other than complacency. They have moments when they get bored and start thinking about their press clippings. A team that works hard can get the jump on them if the boredom lasts long enough. It's the only way they're dropped games this year. Against the Whioux, there won't be any complacency. However, the Whioux are a quality team in their own right. Also, this is a Hakstool coached team after Christmas. It's uncanny how hard to beat the Whioux are in the 2nd half. At least until April.:D Anyway, you can't look at the up to date season results of these 2 teams and think it will play out like their games against other opponents. There's a different mindset for both teams for this series compared to series' with other teams. I'm not sure what to expect because I haven't seen the Whioux yet. Is Corbin Knight the dominating player Whioux fans describe, or is he the same player I remember from last year who is very good but not scary? Is Danny Kristo the same dominating player I do remember? Has Rocco Grimaldi become the player everyone was predicting? Has anyone else stepped up? If it's the same Whioux team as last year, I predict a sweep for Minnesota. If the Wioux are greatly improved over last year, a split is a more likely prediction. However, I've seen how much better Minnesota is over last year. For that, I'm sticking with a sweep prediction. 3-2 Friday and 6-3 Saturday.

In looking at Minnesota, I was expecting them to be more of an offensive power than they have been this season. That being said, the Gophers have been getting much better goaltending than I thought they would. The Minnesota blueline is tremendous as well, but they are prone to letting some big mistakes happen. All together, this is definitely a very talented Minnesota squad. I always thought the '06 and '07 Gopher squads didn't get their fair share of credit for just how good they were. That being said, this Gopher squad gets it done in a completely different way. FWIW, I don't think this Minnesota team is the best team in the country right now, but they are capable of being that team. We'll find out a lot about just how good Minnesota is this weekend.

As for North Dakota, I don't feel that Corban Knight is a "dominating player" or even a "scary" player. However, he is constantly putting pucks in the net or on the sticks of guys for near empty net goals. As a result, if I'm Minnesota, my focus would be on Knight...he's the engine that makes the top-line and powerplay go. As for Danny Kristo, he is that dominating and scary player that teams worry about. He is deadly with the puck, and he creates havoc for the opposing defense. If he gets going, he's the best player in college hockey; however, he has a tendency to get frustrated if things don't go very well. I think of him almost as a Randy Moss (in his prime) type player. That being said, he's improved his attitude tremendously in his time at North Dakota. Turning to Rocco, he has shown flashes of brilliance, but I don't think North Dakota uses him properly. IMO, UND should pop Grimaldi on a line with Rowney and Parks. However, Grimaldi is still a pest in neutral ice, and dangerous in the offensive zone. He does tend to get too cute from time to time. As for the rest of the team, they are far deeper and more talented than last year's squad. That being said, they haven't played with as much heart as last year's squad just yet.

If North Dakota comes out and plays like they did against Holy Cross on Friday, nobody in the country will beat them...not even Minnesota. In watching college hockey this season, that was by far the best performance of any college hockey team I've seen play this entire season. However, if North Dakota comes out and plays like they did Friday against CC, the Gophers will destroy them. Overall, I feel that Minnesota has been more consistent this season, while North Dakota has a higher upside. If both teams play up to their abilities, on neutral (NHL size) ice, I would give UND a slight edge. However, the biggest factor in this series is likely the big ice. I see that giving the Gophers an enormous advantage, and one that will likely propel them to a sweep. I think tonight's game is likely to be the closer of the two, so I think your scores are probably pretty close to how I see it shaking down as well. That being said, I would literally not be surprised by any result, including a North Dakota sweep. Hopefully it's a well played series, and has the intensity and drama that the finale of the rivalry deserves.

Brick Tamland
01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Just think how much you'll enjoy not having to play that song when you move! Simon and Garfunkle all day every day!

In the clearing stands a Gopher
And a diver by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of ev'ry Sioux that layed him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am whining, I am whining"
But the Sioux will still remain

Classic Simon and Garfunkle

gopheritall
01-18-2013, 10:38 AM
If either team comes out without intensity tonight you can cue up the calls to fire the coach. There is no reason for any player to not be ready to play. They could be nervous but unprepared us unacceptable.

I will disagree with FS23. If both teams play to their potential on neutral ice I think the Gophers win almost every time. I just think there is way more potential on the Gopher squad top to bottom.

It will be fun to see Grimaldi play. He was one fast bugger in the Juniors. If he gets past us it could be trouble. He had some selfish play at the Juniors so let's hope that returns. :)

goldy_331
01-18-2013, 10:50 AM
And a diver by his trade

Don't quit your day job.

wasmania
01-18-2013, 10:56 AM
And a diver by his trade

you may just have reinvigorated this thread. Come on, Jockstock!

Fighting Sioux 23
01-18-2013, 10:57 AM
I will disagree with FS23. If both teams play to their potential on neutral ice I think the Gophers win almost every time. I just think there is way more potential on the Gopher squad top to bottom.

FWIW, I think North Dakota fans will always think that if they play their best they'll win, and Minnesota fans always think that if they play their best they'll win. It's the nature of being a fan. It doesn't help that we primarily watch our own teams with our rose colored glasses, and probably don't value the other side as highly as we should.

Except me. :p:D:D

Brick Tamland
01-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Don't quit your day job.
Is it too much to ask for you guys to pay attention for one week! I am a ND fan... why would you think I have a job? Please people...seven days of being on your game.... shouldn't be too much to ask.

gopheritall
01-18-2013, 11:09 AM
FWIW, I think North Dakota fans will always think that if they play their best they'll win, and Minnesota fans always think that if they play their best they'll win. It's the nature of being a fan. It doesn't help that we primarily watch our own teams with our rose colored glasses, and probably don't value the other side as highly as we should.

Except me. :p:D:D
Do you see how boring this gets when you take the smack talk out of it?

Fighting Sioux 23
01-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Do you see how boring this gets when you take the smack talk out of it?

It needs to be done occasionally to prevent death. :p:D:D

mnstate0fhockey
01-18-2013, 11:10 AM
This would be the perfect opportunity to continue the fanbase saga, but it's gameday people!!!

Anyone want to talk actual hockey?

Heard from Jess Myers on Twitter Haula will play.

Fighting Sioux 23
01-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Good to hear. I have not heard anything about Rodwell. He took a pretty nasty cut against Michigan Tech.

Brick Tamland
01-18-2013, 11:19 AM

This is good news. Good player no doubt (maybe Gophs best?).

gopher wes
01-18-2013, 11:22 AM
This is good news. Good player no doubt (maybe Gophs best?).
So far this year he has been the most productive, for sure. While he was out against Notre Dame and AA, Rau and the Bjugy Man really picked up the scoring, though.

I just hope Haula doesn't suffer any setbacks. This is an important weekend, but it's not worth risking further injury and being out of the lineup for an extended period of time. In tDon we trust.

Also, a few words of wisdom to UND: Don't "****" Haula off.

^Don't say we didn't warn you^

mnstate0fhockey
01-18-2013, 11:31 AM
So far this year he has been the most productive, for sure. While he was out against Notre Dame and AA, Rau and the Bjugy Man really picked up the scoring, though.

I just hope Haula doesn't suffer any setbacks. This is an important weekend, but it's not worth risking further injury and being out of the lineup for an extended period of time. In tDon we trust.

Also, a few words of wisdom to UND: Don't "****" Haula off.

^Don't say we didn't warn you^

Agreed. Even more than Rau, he plays better angry.

Driftryder
01-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Agreed. Even more than Rau, he plays better angry.

Yeah Haula really does seem to pick up his game when he is ticked, maybe the Whioux will insult his gf or something.

Dirty
01-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Does Haula swing his purse extra hard when he's mad? I can see Wally now. "Those hoseheads from Grand Forks have really done it now! Haula is furious and he's looking to hit anything in green with his European handbag!"

Red Cows
01-18-2013, 11:38 AM
In looking at Minnesota, I was expecting them to be more of an offensive power than they have been this season.

A bigger power, even, than being the nation's #1 offense, which is what they are? I'm not trying to be a wise-a**, either. I'd seriously like to know what you meant by that. You even expected MORE than this?