This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brick Tamland View Post
    You're JDUMBS. JDUMBS. Due to the "ignore" list, most people here (including/especially your own fan base) don't know you exist. Gotta be embarrassing.
    But you do

Comment

• Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Using simple math...

122.626/192.042 = Michigan was at ~64% of North Dakota's level
      64.039/135.339 = Holy Cross was at ~47% of Minnesota's level

Or...

192.042/122.626 = North Dakota was ~157% better than Michigan
      135.339/64.039 = Minnesota was ~211% better than Holy Cross

Yes...i consider those significant differences
      I assumed a linear relationship within the rankings.

Point differential between the two...
      192.042-122.626 = 69.416
      135.339-64.039=71.3

69.416/71.3= 97.36%
      100-97.36 = 2.64% variation between the two games.

Simple math and that is not significant. It's all how you spin it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        You're right. Plus the whioux have been known to choke on a larger stage more often than we have such as frozen 4 games. So adding that to the ranking would be unfair against whioux. After last year we may be closing the gap but still a bit to catch up.
        But the gophers have more frozen four appearances? And less national titles? How does that work? Guess you like to play the spin game too huh?

Comment

Using simple math...

122.626/192.042 = Michigan was at ~64% of North Dakota's level
          64.039/135.339 = Holy Cross was at ~47% of Minnesota's level

Or...

192.042/122.626 = North Dakota was ~57% better than Michigan
          135.339/64.039 = Minnesota was ~111% better than Holy Cross

Yes...i consider those significant differences

Numbers, Schmumbers.

It's Holy Cross and Michigan.

Even in a down year, the level of talent that Michigan puts on the ice is going to be far, FAR superior to anything that Holy Cross can muster. And that wasn't a horrible year for them, was it?

It's an "Any Given Sunday" kinda thing when you talk about a program like Michigan. They're gonna be able to knock some people off based on who's on their roster.

Holy Cross should never have beaten that Minnesota team. Not 1 out of 10, not 1 out of 50.

The two losses are not comparable.

Comment

I assumed a linear relationship within the rankings.

Point differential between the two...
            192.042-122.626 = 69.416
            135.339-64.039=71.3

69.416/71.3= 97.36%
            100-97.36 = 2.64% variation between the two games.

Simple math and that is not significant. It's all how you spin it.
            For my rankings, a linear relationship is probably more valid using rank #.

137-21 = 116
            358-106 = 252

116/252 = 46.03%
            100-46.03 = 53.97%

Quite significant
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
              But the gophers have more frozen four appearances? And less national titles? How does that work?
              Bah, quit living so far in the past. You can look back one year and the current year.

Frozen 4 appearances, 1-0
              McN Cup, 1-0
              Final 5 title, 0-1
              Add that with wins against top 5 teams this year and weeks spent at #1 in the poll. No contest.

Comment

Bah, quit living so far in the past. You can look back one year and the current year.

Frozen 4 appearances, 1-0
                McN Cup, 1-0
                Final 5 title, 0-1
                Add that with wins against top 5 teams this year and weeks spent at #1 in the poll. No contest.
                So we agree then...Minnesota is by far the bigger choke artist.
                North Dakota

Comment

For my rankings, a linear relationship is probably more valid using rank #.

137-21 = 116
                  358-106 = 252

116/252 = 46.03%
                  100-46.03 = 53.97%

Quite significant
                  *sigh* I find that a little tough to buy, but there's no way I can successfully argue the point since you made the system and have all the details. I can't compete with all that inside information. I'll just say each of them probably sucked just as much for our respective teams when they happened. That makes everything equal.

Comment

This is an excellent point. The UND North Dakotans don't really have any banners or titles except a final 5.
                    They still played as the Sioux at the Final 5. http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2012/03/...-north-dakota/
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      The cat is out of the bag. You only have 14 posts and you already know about him. What is your other screen name?
                      Was a lurker for quite a while. But lets be honest here... how far back in post history do you suppose a person would have to look back to figure out people feel a certain way about JDUBBS? Hell- I am a slack-jawed, redneck, breathe through my mouth, Olive Garden loving, **** in the elevator, Sioux fan... and I "figgered it out quicker 'n a Minnesoturite cud rape a purdy lil goat".
                      I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Comment

*sigh* I find that a little tough to buy, but there's no way I can successfully argue the point since you made the system and have all the details. I can't compete with all that inside information. I'll just say each of them probably sucked just as much for our respective teams when they happened. That makes everything equal.
                        If you want to talk about disappointing losses, I would agree with you. However, concerning which was the bigger upset, Holy Cross-Minnesota was historic (more so for the fact that it signaled a change in the NCAA Tournament that anyone could beat anyone). Michigan-North Dakota just sucked because I was there and had to listen to the **** Michigan pep band for another night.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Brick Tamland View Post
                          Hell- I am a slack-jawed, redneck, breathe through my mouth, Olive Garden loving, **** in the elevator, Sioux fan...
                          OK, that really doesn't narrow it down much. Now which long time UND poster ARE you really?

Comment

Originally posted by Brick Tamland View Post
                            Was a lurker for quite a while. But lets be honest here... how far back in post history do you suppose a person would have to look back to figure out people feel a certain way about JDUBBS? Hell- I am a slack-jawed, redneck, breathe through my mouth, Olive Garden loving, **** in the elevator, Sioux fan... and I "figgered it out quicker 'n a Minnesoturite cud rape a purdy lil goat".

Thread winner!

Although you forgot about lawnmowers and frostbite.
                            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-17-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

The formula doesn't compare each game, but rather the quality of a team over the course of an entire season. In the 2010-2011 season, Michigan was much closer to North Dakota than Holy Cross was to Minnesota in 2005-2006.

Personally, an NCAA Tournament game is an NCAA Tournament game. If you lose, you go home. Now, a Regional Semifinal should be the easiest game a team plays (especially a top seed) in the NCAA Tournament, while a National Semifinal will be likely one of the most difficult. Of course, that is just generally speaking.
                              Great, thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                                OK, that really doesn't narrow it down much. Now which long time UND poster ARE you really?
                                Hard to say...considering that we have the largest fanbase in North America.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X