This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    And yet, we have the largest following of any hockey team in North America. Thanks for showing just how amazing our following is!
    Silly UND fans. I'm sure you have heard of that recent invention called a television. Guess what, you can watch hockey on it

Well, some teams (the more popular and more heavily followed) like the Gophers are on TV more often, but your Whioux team gets televised a little.

Enjoy that high definition this weekend courtesy of a big boy hockey program to your East, and you're welcome
    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Thanks for bringing this up. According to my formula (I'm assuming that is where you're getting the information that the 2010-2011 North Dakota squad was the 21st Best Team All-Time), the 2010-2011 North Dakota squad indeed does come in at #21 with 192.042 points. The 2010-2011 Michigan squad comes in at #137 with 122.626 points. Certainly, this was an upset.

But, let's look at the Minnesota-Holy Cross Game. The 2005-2006 Minnesota squad comes in at #106 with 135.339 points. The 2005-2006 Holy Cross squad? #358 with 64.039.

Simple math (even Canadian Math) will tell you that, at least according to my formula, the Holy Cross upset of Minnesota was more of an upset than the Michigan upset of North Dakota.
      LOL! I don't need math to tell you (any way you try and spin it) your heavily favored UND squad laid a huge egg on national television. However, the bigger embarassment was how truely classless your fans were following the loss. Flipping the bird, punching holes in walls of the XCel (arena envy?), etc...

Comment

• Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

Apparently Haula has been practicing and has looked better than tDon expected. Hope he's ready to go on Friday.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
          Most opposing fans are obsessed with the Sioux being the great tradition they have and all.
          The Sioux had tradition this brand new UND club does not.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
            LOL! I don't need math to tell you (any way you try and spin it) your heavily favored UND squad laid a huge egg on national television. However, the bigger embarassment was how truely classless your fans were following the loss. Flipping the bird, punching holes in walls of the XCel (arena envy?), etc...
            And we would have liked to burn Dinkytown to the ground, but fans of some other classy hockey program already did that, after a win, no less.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              Apparently Haula has been practicing and has looked better than tDon expected. Hope he's ready to go on Friday.
              Hopefully he'll suit up. Haula is a fun player to watch. It appears that both teams could be full strength for this series, as Derek Rodwell is back skating. It would be nice to see these two squads go at it full strength.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Since we all know that the most important measure of a college hockey program is TRADITION, how does UND losing to Michigan stack up to Gophers losing to Holy Cross? JDUBBS, you have the formula for rankings on TRADITION calculated, right? So tell us how it compares.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  Thanks for bringing this up. According to my formula (I'm assuming that is where you're getting the information that the 2010-2011 North Dakota squad was the 21st Best Team All-Time), the 2010-2011 North Dakota squad indeed does come in at #21 with 192.042 points. The 2010-2011 Michigan squad comes in at #137 with 122.626 points. Certainly, this was an upset.

But, let's look at the Minnesota-Holy Cross Game. The 2005-2006 Minnesota squad comes in at #106 with 135.339 points. The 2005-2006 Holy Cross squad? #358 with 64.039.

Simple math (even Canadian Math) will tell you that, at least according to my formula, the Holy Cross upset of Minnesota was more of an upset than the Michigan upset of North Dakota.
                  Yes, that was the ranking I was referring to. Do you have a weight in those formulas for importance of the game? I'd be interested to see how a semi final compares to a regional game.

Comment

That's so cute. UND fans longing to become a big boy program worthy of haters. You're North Dakota. NORTH DAKOTA. Most of this country doesn't even know your school exists, much less your hockey program
                    You're JDUMBS. JDUMBS. Due to the "ignore" list, most people here (including/especially your own fan base) don't know you exist. Gotta be embarrassing.
                    I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      The Sioux had tradition this brand new UND club does not.
                      This is an excellent point. The UND North Dakotans don't really have any banners or titles except a final 5. So that puts them on the same level as St. Cloud.

Using simple math, I'm not sure if you can consider a 3% difference as significant to differentiate these two games. That is less than a margin of error in virtually anything so I'd put them on the same level.
                      Last edited by Tiggsy; 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brick Tamland View Post
                        You're JDUMBS. JDUMBS. Due to the "ignore" list, most people here (including/especially your own fan base) don't know you exist. Gotta be embarrassing.
                        The cat is out of the bag. You only have 14 posts and you already know about him. What is your other screen name?
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Mills View Post
                          Yes, that was the ranking I was referring to. Do you have a weight in those formulas for importance of the game? I'd be interested to see how a semi final compares to a regional game.
                          The formula doesn't compare each game, but rather the quality of a team over the course of an entire season. In the 2010-2011 season, Michigan was much closer to North Dakota than Holy Cross was to Minnesota in 2005-2006.

Personally, an NCAA Tournament game is an NCAA Tournament game. If you lose, you go home. Now, a Regional Semifinal should be the easiest game a team plays (especially a top seed) in the NCAA Tournament, while a National Semifinal will be likely one of the most difficult. Of course, that is just generally speaking.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                            Using simple math, I'm not sure if you can consider a 3% difference as significant to differentiate these two games. That is less than a margin of error in virtually anything so I'd put them on virtually the same level.
                            Using simple math...

122.626/192.042 = Michigan was at ~64% of North Dakota's level
                            64.039/135.339 = Holy Cross was at ~47% of Minnesota's level

Or...

192.042/122.626 = North Dakota was ~57% better than Michigan
                            135.339/64.039 = Minnesota was ~111% better than Holy Cross

Yes...i consider those significant differences
                            North Dakota

Comment

The formula doesn't compare each game, but rather the quality of a team over the course of an entire season. In the 2010-2011 season, Michigan was much closer to North Dakota than Holy Cross was to Minnesota in 2005-2006.

Personally, an NCAA Tournament game is an NCAA Tournament game. If you lose, you go home. Now, a Regional Semifinal should be the easiest game a team plays (especially a top seed) in the NCAA Tournament, while a National Semifinal will be likely one of the most difficult. Of course, that is just generally speaking.
                              You're right. Plus the whioux have been known to choke on a larger stage more often than we have such as frozen 4 games. So adding that to the ranking would be unfair against whioux. After last year we may be closing the gap but still a bit to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                                You're right. Plus the whioux have been known to choke on a larger stage more often than we have such as frozen 4 games. So adding that to the ranking would be unfair against whioux. After last year we may be closing the gap but still a bit to catch up.
                                Do you really want to bring up choking? It's not going to go well for you, even taking into account North Dakota's proclivity for it in the last decade.

North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X