PDA

View Full Version : Colgate & Cornell @ RPI & Union (1/18, 1/19)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

DavidSec17
01-16-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm pretty sure amplification is not allowed by either NCAA or ECAC rules. I've never looked at the rulebooks, but that's the story I've heard from prior pep band officers.

If I'm not mistaken, when I was at the 2008 Frozen 4 in Denver, the bands were piped thru the P.A.

Senna
01-16-2013, 10:04 AM
And we're going to let some silly rule interfere? We should be able to find some technicality to get around it. After all, we are the Engineers! (maybe it would be easier to sidestep the rules if we were the Political Scientists?);)

Seriously - grads have put men on the moon and designed rovers for Mars and likely did all other kinds of spy stuff. Even redesigned the HFH if I'm not mistaken. You telling me that someone couldnt figure out some way to make a "necessary structural improvement" and install some form of amplification ? :D

turk181
01-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Seriously - grads have put men on the moon and designed rovers for Mars and likely did all other kinds of spy stuff. Even redesigned the HFH if I'm not mistaken. You telling me that someone couldnt figure out some way to make a "necessary structural improvement" and install some form of amplification ? :DBy putting the band in their current locale....I'ld say, there's our administrations answer.

ColSkate65
01-16-2013, 10:40 AM
We have played better than our record lately-but that isn't difficult since we have only 1 ECAC victory. We seem to match up well against a few teams and not so well against a few others. We do, however, often find we play just well enough to be trailing by a goal late in the game and then we can pull our goaltender and give up a few extra.:rolleyes:

Thanks Dr. Will look forward to seeing your goaltender pulled :) Regards to Jenny; is she still ahead of you in Pick the Standings?

FreshFish
01-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Seriously - grads have put men on the moon and designed rovers for Mars and likely did all other kinds of spy stuff. Even redesigned the HFH if I'm not mistaken. You telling me that someone couldnt figure out some way to make a "necessary structural improvement" and install some form of amplification ? :D

It seems to me that some form of parabolic surface would be what is needed. Based on the shape of the whispering gallery you can find in many science museums (if you stand at the focus of one parabolic surface and whisper, someone at the focus of the corresponding parabolic surface across the room can hear you clearly). We'd have to adapt the design, of course, but natural amplifiers shouldn't be too hard for an acoustic engineer to develop.

There was a science fiction story years back about fans at a soccer stadium who wanted to send a message to a despised referee. Everyone in the stands held a parabolic mirror to the sun and focused it on the ref at the same time. Everyone was a bit shocked when all that concentrated heat fried the man to a crisp instantly. :eek:

engineerhockeyfan
01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
No, we can't. We basically operate on tradition and what we think the rules probably are.

Similar to erasing the spots on dice and remembering where they formerly were. :D

johnk
01-16-2013, 11:55 AM
RPI Gamenotes......http://www.rpiathletics.com/documents/2013/1/16/2012-13MHKYGameNotes_COL_COR.pdf?id=1430

This whole concept is a great idea but it should have been done for the Sacred Heart game or a different non ECAC tilt.

Red Cloud
01-16-2013, 11:58 AM
This whole concept is a great idea but it should have been done for the Sacred Heart game or a different non ECAC tilt.

Game notes are done for every series, home and away. They're distributed in the press box.

burgie12
01-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Game notes are done for every series, home and away. They're distributed in the press box.
I think he meant the Autism Awareness event.

johnk
01-16-2013, 12:12 PM
I think he meant the Autism Awareness event.

He and every one else with a tiny bit of common sense knew what I meant. He just can't help himself.

FlagDUDE08
01-16-2013, 12:14 PM
He and every one else with a tiny bit of common sense knew what I meant. He just can't help himself.

You basically pulled a FlagDUDE08 and didn't make it clear, though.

Red Cloud
01-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Nice, really nice. This is what I get for trying to be helpful and misunderstanding you. Nice attitude.

You know what, John? I apologize.

DrDemento
01-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks Dr. Will look forward to seeing your goaltender pulled :) Regards to Jenny; is she still ahead of you in Pick the Standings?

Yes she is as usual:o I think the only time I finished ahead of her was when I won the pick the Playoffs contest a few years ago.:eek: As far as pulling our goalie-I would not count on it in either game this weekend. ;)

DrDemento
01-16-2013, 01:57 PM

Could not agree more. After all these years, I still like my RPI hockey to be loud and raucous.

FlagDUDE08
01-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Could not agree more. After all these years, I still like my RPI hockey to be loud and raucous.

They probably think no students will be back in town so they can get away with it. Are they in for a rude awakening...

RPI fan 4 life
01-16-2013, 02:10 PM
They probably think no students will be back in town so they can get away with it. Are they in for a rude awakening...

Hope you're right. How about the students coming up with a different cheer that doesn't have the word "suck" in it?? :)

turk181
01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
as most everyone here knows, JL played with the Spink bros. in Cornwall but did you know that Mike Zalewski played with Joe Wilson (Colgate)... John Knisely & Andy Isles (Cornell) on a power house team, the '92 (birthdate) Syracuse Stars AAA. Shane Prince (Bing.Senators) was also on team as was Trevor Mingoia who recently left Union.

Red Cloud
01-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Hope you're right. How about the students coming up with a different cheer that doesn't have the word "suck" in it?? :)

If you're so sharp, why not start one yourself?

turk181
01-16-2013, 02:24 PM
If you're so sharp, why not start one yourself? rik-em...rak-em.....rik-em....ruk-em.....take the puck and really.........fight :eek:

FlagDUDE08
01-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks to WaP's enlightening article, I think something may be coming together in my mind... Did our women's team play during an Autism Awareness game that Colgate did last year? I seem to remember mainly blue (but multi-coloured) jerseys worn by the Colgate team, and one of the few times I've seen where no team had a white or gold coloured uniform (RPI was wearing their road red). I think Colgate still used their goal siren during the game, though (can't remember for sure, as I drank away many memories of that night after getting home in time to watch the men's game). Will there be any special insignia (similar to BU) or a one-time jersey worn by the team on Friday?