PDA

View Full Version : Colgate & Cornell @ RPI & Union (1/18, 1/19)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

jericho
01-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Kurt and I were talking about it on the air last night after the game, don't know if you heard it. Maybe the powers that be should look at the rule and institute something to discourage what happened after the game, where if you take something other than a 2 minute penalty within the last minute or so, when the game is clearly over, that it should be an automatic DQ for the next game. Giving a penalty after the game has ended and there is no consequence doesn't do anything to discourage those type of hits. If you want to try to make the game safer, this could be a start.

mackek2
01-19-2013, 09:39 AM
The whole game is posted - First two periods are first, and the third period is listed second. Hit is around 44mins.

FlagDUDE08
01-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Kurt and I were talking about it on the air last night after the game, don't know if you heard it. Maybe the powers that be should look at the rule and institute something to discourage what happened after the game, where if you take something other than a 2 minute penalty within the last minute or so, when the game is clearly over, that it should be an automatic DQ for the next game. Giving a penalty after the game has ended and there is no consequence doesn't do anything to discourage those type of hits. If you want to try to make the game safer, this could be a start.

One thing I did hear was Kurt's views about post-game review. According to the rules, you are allowed to do that in determining between a game misconduct and disqualification, however since the box score does not show a misconduct, there's no review in place.

CJ Lee hits a player even lighter at Colgate two years ago in OT, he gets a game DQ. Erik B gives a board at the end of the Cornell game four years ago, get s a game DQ and two game suspension. Colgate player hits it, I bet the league is cheering the hit because after all, it screws over RPI. Heck, I bet Ritchie gets sacked for even calling he five minute major, and he's one of the better refs in the league.

RKarger
01-19-2013, 10:02 AM
The whole game is posted - First two periods are first, and the third period is listed second. Hit is around 44mins.

Just rewatched it - looked like Larkin elbowed Haggerty as he was falling down from the hard hit. Also saw the missed call at about 1:00 remaining when Lee got elbowed. Games with referees as bad as last night are just frustrating. If I feel like the game was frustrating, unfair to both teams, and disappointing as a fan, I can't imagine how much it must frustrate the players. And frustrated players leads to the kind of dangerous hits we saw. I really wish the refereeing in this league would get their act together.

FlagDUDE08
01-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Just rewatched it - looked like Larkin elbowed Haggerty as he was falling down from the hard hit. Also saw the missed call at about 1:00 remaining when Lee got elbowed. Games with referees as bad as last night are just frustrating. If I feel like the game was frustrating, unfair to both teams, and disappointing as a fan, I can't imagine how much it must frustrate the players. And frustrated players leads to the kind of dangerous hits we saw. I really wish the refereeing in this league would get their act together.

I bet we see Hicks and Murphy tonight, Cornell gets 15 power plays and we get 0.

turk181
01-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Bravo but when is Paul Stewart ever going to be accountable for the way these games are officiated. Paul, I challenge you to a debate on the Wyland show. I'll even let Schottsie be the moderator. the only reason I put Hagwell's info there and not Stewie's is because he can't police himself. BTW, I did get a response from Hagwell.......the hit in question will be reviewed today & if needed further disciplinary action is warranted it will be.

FlagDUDE08
01-19-2013, 10:46 AM
the only reason I put Hagwell's info there and not Stewie's is because he can't police himself. BTW, I did get a response from Hagwell.......the hit in question will be reviewed today & if needed further disciplinary action is warranted it will be.

As much as we can crow about the lack of consistency, at least they're taking a look at it, and that is something I'm sure we can all expect. Whether or not action comes from the league is up to them.

I'm actually very impressed with Mr. Hagwell's responsiveness regarding our e-mail questions.

turk181
01-19-2013, 10:46 AM
interesting that Cornell's John McCarron recieved a game DQ (http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2012-13/boxscores/20130105_ni8l.xml) in the last Cornell game before playing Union last night yet he played last night. Perhaps you remember Fat Mike in the video after the Cornell game whining about it.....

AspyDad
01-19-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm actually very impressed with Mr. Hagwell's responsiveness regarding our e-mail questions.

Steve does try and I do respect him.

FlagDUDE08
01-19-2013, 11:21 AM
interesting that Cornell's John McCarron recieved a game DQ (http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2012-13/boxscores/20130105_ni8l.xml) in the last Cornell game before playing Union last night yet he played last night. Perhaps you remember Fat Mike in the video after the Cornell game whining about it.....

There is a discrepancy. According to the box score on CHS http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1213/boxes/mcorden1.j05 , Rodger Craig was issued the disqualification penalty in question, not John McCarron. Rodger Craig served the suspension last night by virtue that he did not dress for the game.

turk181
01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
There is a discrepancy. According to the box score on CHS http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1213/boxes/mcorden1.j05 , Rodger Craig was issued the disqualification penalty in question, not John McCarron. Rodger Craig served the suspension last night by virtue that he did not dress for the game. discrepancy or Fat Mike convincing someone, no.... it wasn't one of our major players it was Craig. Who BTW, has been a scratch for 7 of Cornells 16 games....hmmmmmmm?

FlagDUDE08
01-19-2013, 11:53 AM
discrepancy or Fat Mike convincing someone, no.... it wasn't one of our major players it was Craig. Who BTW, has been a scratch for 7 of Cornells 16 games....hmmmmmmm?

I just call them as I read them. Whether or not it's a grand conspiracy, I have no comment.

Havasu M
01-19-2013, 08:06 PM
how offsides was cornell second goal? not enough? and a blown icing call brings the faceoff back to center ice. Can we give them more breaks? Great win . Great weekend. One game at a time

FlagDUDE08
01-19-2013, 08:10 PM
how offsides was cornell second goal? not enough? and a blown icing call brings the faceoff back to center ice. Can we give them more breaks? Great win . Great weekend. One game at a time

They don't ask how, they ask how many. Four. As in number of points we got this weekend.

Havasu M
01-19-2013, 08:17 PM
keep beating ranked teams and any unranked teams also

DrDemento
01-19-2013, 08:18 PM

We beat a good Cornell team and we a beat a team of officials that were hopefully merely incompetent. (I really would not like to think they were morre than that)

FlagDUDE08
01-19-2013, 08:19 PM
COMPLETELY forgot I have Union/Colgate on TV here... Union beat Colgate 2-1.

jstadts
01-19-2013, 09:33 PM
We beat a good Cornell team and we a beat a team of officials that were hopefully merely incompetent. (I really would not like to think they were morre than that)

Doc,IMO the officials were very good tonight. The linesmen made 2 big mistakes late when it matters most but overall I thought the refs were very fair.
The thing I noticed most is that RPI was willing/able to match cornells intensity along the wall which is no easy task .In all honesty that hasn`t happened at the field house vs cornell in a long time. Kasdorf was excellent and special teams were very good. A very encouraging weekend.

FlagDUDE08
01-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Doc,IMO the officials were very good tonight. The linesmen made 2 big mistakes late when it matters most but overall I thought the refs were very fair.
The thing I noticed most is that RPI was willing/able to match cornells intensity along the wall which is no easy task .In all honesty that hasn`t happened at the field house vs cornell in a long time. Kasdorf was excellent and special teams were very good. A very encouraging weekend.

They may have screwed up the icing, but they didn't screw up the offsides. I looked at the tape, and the Cornell player had the line.

Ralph Baer
01-19-2013, 09:37 PM
how offsides was cornell second goal? not enough? Don't knock it. I had Lowry on the PtC. :D