Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Not likely, but they are starting a Big Ten Hockey Conference for the first time in conference history. What happens if the Jimmy John's CEO jumps in the Icebox? It will be interesting and of course I have my doubts we see a new Big Ten school jump in today or ten years from now.
    I bet it will be within 5 years that we see another BIG team jump in the icebox.
    - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
    Go you Green and White
    Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight with all your might!
    Rah! Rah! Rah!
    We are here to cheer you
    We are out to win your fame,
    So, Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
      I bet it will be within 5 years that we see another BIG team jump in the icebox.
      It would be cool. My anger of all this change is slowly changing towards a little bit of excitement next year. In Scooby's world it would 5% full.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        It would be cool. My anger of all this change is slowly changing towards a little bit of excitement next year. In Scooby's world it would 5% full.
        Oh nooooooo..... Not another Scooby..... I really don't care one way or another, I am going to miss the Whiox, but I know my top 4 (Gophers, Beavers, Michigan Tech, and yes the Whioux - gotta love them enough to hate them ) favorite teams will be dominant in their respective conferences and will have the group hug again in the NCAA's.

Go Bemidji Beavers
        Go you Green and White
        Go Bemidji Beavers
        Rah! Rah! Rah!
        We are here to cheer you
        So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

I think your right and even Lucia is now publicly adding his support to the formation of a B1G hockey team at Nebraska:

There has been some talk in Lincoln that Division I hockey might be a good thing. Gopher head coach Don Lucia certainly thinks so. He told the Gopher Blue Line Club last week: “I think Division I hockey at Nebraska would be very successful and would be a good idea.”
          The B1G draw will be $$$. The Big Ten is notably the most profitable college athletic conference in the NCAA with a relatively large and widespread fanbase throughout the US and Canada. Once schools that currently have high quality club hockey teams (e.g. Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa) begin to crunch the numbers on the unprecedented growth in Big Ten profit margins that can be directly attributed to the Big Ten Network, I think they'll take a hard look at generating revenue for a D1 program.

That's exactly why former Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne said the Big Ten Network was a draw to the B1G and the alliance would be mutually (financially) beneficial. BTN profits have increased by nearly $50M/year since its inception in 2007 and has now more than doubled its initial 2007 revenue to over $230M. The Big Ten footprint has grown to an estimated 75M viewers covering 35% of the United States and plans are to recruit at least 60 million more subscribers over the next five years. In addition to current income, the BTN could over the next five years realistically generate more than a quarter of a billion dollars for the Big Ten conference. That would more than double aggregate revenue distribution to member schools. The BTN delivered $8M to Big Ten schools in 2010, an increase of 20% from the previous year.

For those interested:

References

Dosh, Kristi. (2011, January 30). How the Big Ten Stacks Up Against the SEC in Sports Revenue, Sport Money Blog, Forbes.
          Drape, Joe. (2010, October 1). Big Ten Network Alters picture of College Sports. New York Times.
          Jones, David. (2010, March 7). How the Big Ten Network Makes Expansion More Likely. The Patriot News.
          Marek, Lynn. (2010, July 6). Big Ten Network Defies Early Skeptics as Audience and Profits Rise. Crains Detroit Business.
          Cabot, Jeff. (2008, December 19). Shaw Launches New HD Sport Channels. HD Report.
          Sansirino, Micheal. (2010, May 23). Big Ten Changes Could Have Seismic Effect. Pittsburgh Port Gazette.
          Last edited by HarleyMC; 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
            I think your right and even Lucia is now publicly adding his support to the formation of a B1G hockey team at Nebraska:

The B1G draw will be $$$. The Big Ten is notably the most profitable college athletic conference in the NCAA with a relatively large and widespread fanbase throughout the US and Canada. Once schools that currently have high quality club hockey teams (e.g. Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa) begin to crunch the numbers on the unprecedented growth in Big Ten profit margins that can be directly attributed to the Big Ten Network, I think they'll take a hard look at generating revenue for a D1 program.

That's exactly why former Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne said the Big Ten Network was a draw to the B1G and the alliance would be mutually (financially) beneficial. BTN profits have increased by nearly $50M/year since its inception in 2007 and has now more than doubled its initial 2007 revenue to over $230M. The Big Ten footprint has grown to an estimated 75M viewers covering 35% of the United States and plans are to recruit at least 60 million more subscribers over the next five years. In addition to current income, the BTN could over the next five years realistically generate more than a quarter of a billion dollars for the Big Ten conference. That would more than double aggregate revenue distribution to member schools. The BTN delivered $8M to Big Ten schools in 2010, an increase of 20% from the previous year.
            I would not be surprised to see this come fruition this year yet, with the team starting year 2 or 3 in the B1G

Go Bemidji Beavers
            Go you Green and White
            Go Bemidji Beavers
            Rah! Rah! Rah!
            We are here to cheer you
            So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

Whoa, NO ONE in this discussion EVER said that..... I am pretty sure the U of M's will do just fine being the only perennial representatives of the B1G
              Yeah but that is my theory on this. Maybe Minnesota will surpass Wisconsin in the future in titles.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                Yeah but that is my theory on this. Maybe Minnesota will surpass Wisconsin in the future in titles.
                We will equal them this year

Go Bemidji Beavers
                Go you Green and White
                Go Bemidji Beavers
                Rah! Rah! Rah!
                We are here to cheer you
                So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

Dear God, make me a bird. So I can fly far. Far far away from here...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    Nope.... You are trapped

Go Bemidji Beavers
                    Go you Green and White
                    Go Bemidji Beavers
                    Rah! Rah! Rah!
                    We are here to cheer you
                    So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      didn't you kill yourself after losing to a horrible Penn State team?
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                        They have the team to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          didn't you kill yourself after losing to a horrible Penn State team?
                          They're not of the caliber to be horrible.

Penn State is like a fine intramural team.

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
                            They're not of the caliber to be horrible.

Penn State is like a fine intramural team.
                            No, they are ENTITLED to be horrible. So I'm good with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                              They have the team to do it.
                              Hey! My wife just fowarded me an email from your dad!

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                                Hey! My wife just fowarded me an email from your dad!
                                My father past away for cancer. Thanks for taking things to a personal and inappropriate level.

Comment

Working...
                                X