Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
    Here I thought you badgers liked the trap.
    If another Gopher fan accuses me of being a Badger fan, I'm gonna pick up my toys and go home. Just because you live in this state (and maybe appreciate an occasional snifter of thinner) does not mean you lose all sense of dignity and become a Badger hockey fan. Next to being a gopher fan, nothing could be worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
      If another Gopher fan accuses me of being a Badger fan, I'm gonna pick up my toys and go home. Just because you live in this state (and maybe appreciate an occasional snifter of thinner) does not mean you lose all sense of dignity and become a Badger hockey fan. Next to being a gopher fan, nothing could be worse.
      I think it has more to do with the admiration you show to that team and fan base than it does where you live. I thought you were a Badger fan when I first joined this board as well. I still wonder sometimes.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
        I'm afraid this may be the case. On the flip side, this works in the other direction as well, where they seem to really kick their game up another notch against better competition (AFA/BC/ND, for example) so if they can just get it in their minds that they need to play hard to win, they've got that gear, they just seem too settled where they are to do so. I can understand not going completely all-out down the stretch and getting worn down before the playoffs, but they really need to put that higher gear to use before it's just too late to shift gears.
        I'm not really worried about "finding that higher gear" quite yet. DU is a good team and I expect a split there even though it is a home series. If the Gophers show lack of effort/heart against BSU then I think you may have reason to worry. I'm not gonna freak out too much unless they lay an egg in the WCHA first round. Unless SCSU just implodes(and the Gophers explode), the Gophers will likely have BSU over at Mariucci that next weekend. Four games against the same team will be grinding if it plays out that way, but coming home and getting ready for the Final Five will be good stuff for this team I think. The Final Five is what I'm worried about. I want to see this team firing on all cylinders at the Final Five to set themselves up for the regional. I'm not going to worry myself silly until then.
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
          I think it has more to do with the admiration you show to that team and fan base than it does where you live. I thought you were a Badger fan when I first joined this board as well. I still wonder sometimes.
          Yeah, I guess I can see that. But this stuff is all in fun, and they have some fans who love hockey but like to have fun with it, including poking fun at themselves at times. Some of you guys do too, of course, and I enjoy that as well. Minnesota has a great program, and that's why the rivalry with UND has been so good for so long, something I will miss a great deal. Now, if I say any more than that I won't get through the Red River checkpoint next time I go back.

Comment

A healthy Ambroz in the lineup would really help that 3rd line this weekend, which then makes our 4th line that much better.

Any news on him?
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I guess I can see that. But this stuff is all in fun, and they have some fans who love hockey but like to have fun with it, including poking fun at themselves at times. Some of you guys do too, of course, and I enjoy that as well. Minnesota has a great program, and that's why the rivalry with UND has been so good for so long, something I will miss a great deal. Now, if I say any more than that I won't get through the Red River checkpoint next time I go back.
              I have no problem with you man. Like you said, all in good fun
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

burd and Gurt both have an unhealthy symbiosis when it comes to discussing their programs relative to the Gophers. It's not a surprise - when you swear by the wretched UND/UW programs it's going to bruise your psyche.

Alas I can't think of anyone outside the base I'd rather buy a beer at the X. I however require that we sit in an establishment well lit, with plenty of windows, no seating to my backside and no less than 3 exits visible at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  burd and Gurt both have an unhealthy symbiosis when it comes to discussing their programs relative to the Gophers. It's not a surprise - when you swear by the wretched UND/UW programs it's going to bruise your psyche.

Alas I can't think of anyone outside the base I'd rather buy a beer at the X. I however require that we sit in an establishment well lit, with plenty of windows, no seating to my backside and no less than 3 exits visible at all times.
                  Deal.

I can't speak for Gurt, but I have some conditions of my own. You provide proof of ability to pay before the pops are ordered. No goats. All Gopher fans in the room display visible odorizers. If the establishment must be well lit, no Minnesota coeds. And because you get to pick the joint, we inspect the bathrooms for hidden guns if you have to go for a leak.

I think we can work this out as long as Gurt isn't unreasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                    My apologies sir! That would appear to be a low blow. Icky, icky badgers. Burd & Gurt are easy to confuse and you ARE in Wisconsin. How can you stand to live so far from Mariucci west?
                    You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Deal.

I can't speak for Gurt, but I have some conditions of my own. You provide proof of ability to pay before the pops are ordered. No goats. All Gopher fans in the room display visible odorizers. If the establishment must be well lit, no Minnesota coeds. And because you get to pick the joint, we inspect the bathrooms for hidden guns if you have to go for a leak.

I think we can work this out as long as Gurt isn't unreasonable.
                      Inspect the bathrooms? Do I look like tDon?

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                        A healthy Ambroz in the lineup would really help that 3rd line this weekend, which then makes our 4th line that much better.

Any news on him?
                        i actually thought the 3rd line was way better with michaelson in it. he was much more noticeable than ambroz..

ive read other comments about how the gophers really missed ambroz.. not just yours- so, no offense to the kid, but what did the gophers miss with him out? he always tries to throw checks, and i can appreciate that, but with his speed he rarely gets there in time.. and for his size he doesnt win a lot of puck battles in the corners. i think michaelsons speed and offensive awareness added more to the lineup

Comment

I think Ambroz is a beast down low and strong in front of the net, imo he was missed.

Comment

maybe he is and im just not seeing it. i guess i just expect him to be a beast given his size but when i watch him i dont see him winning battles down low. i hope michaelson stays in the lineup. he did a lot on saturday offensively and he is strong in his own right down in the corners

i guess ideally they would play 11 forwards so they can keep them both in

Comment

Yeah I agree with that, i'm not a fan of the D playing forward, put both Michaelson and Ambroz in the lineup.

Holl worked out ok though I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                                Yeah I agree with that, i'm not a fan of the D playing forward, put both Michaelson and Ambroz in the lineup.

Holl worked out ok though I guess.
                                But which defenseman do you sit then? I want Holl in the line-up at forward, I like what he does out there. It seems if you wanted to stop skating defensemen at forward you'd have to sit either Parenteau or Skjei, and I'm not sure I would make that trade. Perhaps situationally depending on the opponent.

My take is that if you wanted to keep Michaelson in the line-up, you'd sit Ambroz or Boyd. And while I liked a lot of what I saw from Michaelson this weekend, I think Ambroz is the better option due to his experience and the "little things" he adds (corner and board play, play in front of the net, defensive zone experience, etc.).
                                Boyd has frustrated me the past month with the number of turnovers he has made (many unforced), but I still think I would prefer him over Michaelson for much the same reason.

I think Michaelson is going to be a nice player for MN the next few years but IMO, due to where he is at as a player and what the depth chart looks like, he is a year away from a regular spot in the line-up.

Comment

Working...
                                X