Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jerryj View Post
    here is a good question for the bye week. did colorado lose condon's rights already? he was drafted in 2008. he played the '08/'09 and '09/'10 seasons in the ushl. he played the '10/'11, '11/'12, and now the '12/'13 season in college...

i thought a team had 4 years of rights (whether it is 4 years in college, 1 year in the ushl and 3 in college ala wheeler, etc).. but it seems to me i heard a while back there can be an additional year given if he plays in the ushl and then on to college or something along those lines
    Certainly a good question. I'd guess yes, but not positive.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      I find it funny that the author chides Sioux fans for their "whining" when his entire blog was one giant whine.
      I didn't find it the least bit whiney, but I could see how a closet Whioux fan might feel differently. Oh, and you'll never see me taking sides in a topic involving your two ahole programs.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        I didn't find it the least bit whiney, but I could see how a closet Whioux fan might feel differently. Oh, and you'll never see me taking sides in a topic involving your two ahole programs.
        I find Sioux fans on here to be a fun bunch. They typically have a good sense of humor and most of the time, recognize a joke without having to have it spelled out. In addition, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

In the real world, I typically don't care for their fans when I come into contact with them at the Kohl Center. I don't like the Sioux, but as much as it goes against conventional wisdom, I don't DIS-like them anymore than say Denver. The rivalry has gone stale for me, much like the UW one has for many Gopher fans.

The whiny part of that blog, to my cardinal & white ears anyway, is the complaining about the (GASP!) goonery. I realize that the Gophers are the torch-bearers for class in college hockey, but the constant complaining about the occasional liberty taken gets old. It's hockey.

Cripes, I see the same things in many of the bantam games that I'm at. Of course, that surely doesn't happen during bantam games in Minnesota.

That stuff's just part of the game and I highly doubt that Rau was just a poor innocent midget who got beat down. I'm willing to bet that your little angels have something to do with the shots that are taken at them. Popping off to the wrong guy will get you slashed. Seriously, who doesn't know that?

Heck, I've seen bantam teams use that as a strategy. They know which player has a short fuse and they exploit it and then go back to their bench and get a high-five from their coach. You think college players don't do the same thing?

Whatever any Gopher blogger or fan wants to say about the Sioux, you'll miss them and the energy that engulfed those games. Heck, I wish we had games that were that intense - with anyone.
        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-31-2013, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I find Sioux fans on here to be a fun bunch. They typically have a good sense of humor and most of the time, recognize a joke without having to have it spelled out. In addition, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

In the real world, I typically don't care for their fans when I come into contact with them at the Kohl Center. I don't like the Sioux, but as much as it goes against conventional wisdom, I don't DIS-like them anymore than say Denver. The rivalry has gone stale for me, much like the UW one has for many Gopher fans.

The whiny part of that blog, to my cardinal & white ears anyway, is the complaining about the (GASP!) goonery. I realize that the Gophers are the torch-bearers for class in college hockey, but the constant complaining about the occasional liberty taken gets old. It's hockey.

Cripes, I see the same things in many of the bantam games that I'm at. Of course, that surely doesn't happen during bantam games in Minnesota.

That stuff's just part of the game and I highly doubt that Rau was just a poor innocent midget who got beat down. I'm willing to bet that your little angels have something to do with the shots that are taken at them. Popping off to the wrong guy will get you slashed. Seriously, who doesn't know that?

Heck, I've seen bantam teams use that as a strategy. They know which player has a short fuse and they exploit it and then go back to their bench and get a high-five from their coach. You think college players don't do the same thing?

Whatever any Gopher blogger or fan wants to say about the Sioux, you'll miss them and the energy that engulfed those games. Heck, I wish we had games that were that intense - with anyone.
          The Gophers are a lot of team's #1 rival.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            The Gophers are a lot of team's #1 rival.

No doubt, but the constant smoldering hatred isn't there any more (that I can detect) between UW and Minny. Wish it was.

I realize that both teams need to be good at the same time and that we're not holding up our end of the bargain right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

You could have just laughed.

Comment

No doubt, but the constant smoldering hatred isn't there any more (that I can detect) between UW and Minny. Wish it was.

I realize that both teams need to be good at the same time and that we're not holding up our end of the bargain right now.
                It's always been there, just smoldering under the surface.

I think it will heat up. We'll both get to renew our hatred of Michigan too

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  You could have just laughed.

It seemed so hurtful though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Certainly no whineyer than all the crap spouted by Whioux fans and "journalists" about the Whioux not being on the Gopher's schedule for the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Don't worry I think it's still there among the fans, even if it's not so much with the teams. But we just think it's cute now when occasionally we run across a tough talking badger fan this year instead of letting it get to us.

Comment

I'd just appreciate it if he'd move this outside of this thread.
                        Still "policing" your own?

From the Wisc v Nodak thread..................

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                        Just asking Dirty to back up his claims with facts like he asks everyone else to do. I'll leave it at that
                        What, can't prove it Dirty?

BTW - Now that's two statements you've made you can't prove.
                        You guys made the claim to be the "most followed" program in North America, not me. Show us the TV numbers to prove it
                        No, what was funny was how many UND fans that actually believed that.
                        Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        The most followed team isn't televised???????
                        I'm sorry, I need photographic evidence to believe such actually exist.
                        Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                        With the Gopher bye and all, I was hoping to come in this thread and see some of Gurt's handy work.

Gurt?
                        Like I'm naive enough to buy gurt's photoshoping. I am naive, but not that much!
                        Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                        The good news is that a hockey puck slapping them in their faces couldn't make them any uglier!

Gotta love those sconnie "women"....
                        And Schmaltz and Gleason are pylons
                        If you can manage to clear the glass with a dead BADger fan, you deserve any jersey you want! Many of them go 3 bills with all that beer, brats, and cheese they consume - not mention the high calorie paint thinner.
                        *****http://imageshack.us/a/img823/2702/minnesotawildstateofhoc.jpg******
                        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

No problem with posting in other threads. But the discussion I was referring to did nothing but derail the thread. We call out our own for doing the same.

Lots of Gopher related stuff we could be discussing. For instance, in the interview posted above the nonsense, Haula mentioned he is 100% and probably will be centering a line when the Gophers play SCSU. Which line? I'm hesitant to move Condon back to wing because that 2nd line has been playing so well. Does Lucia move Condon back to wing and have Haula center the 2nd line, or maybe move Bjugstad to RW and have Haula center the 1st? Might get that first line really going to have a playmaking center IMO.
                          I agree 100%. Nate Condon's speed and full ice vision has been exceptional this season and it seems every time he touches the puck, there's big play potential. He's really fun to watch. Not sure about moving Bjugs to RW though, his faceoff skills have been outstanding (60%) and he's growing in his ability to put his big frame in front and establish a strong net presence as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Haula is sloted back on 2nd line C, and Condon on 1st line W. Given this is most likely Haula's last season with the Gophers, I'm sure he's locked, loaded and ready to make his mark now for a deep playoff run.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                            I agree 100%. Nate Condon's speed and full ice vision has been exceptional this season and it seems every time he touches the puck, there's big play potential. He's really fun to watch. Not sure about moving Bjugs to RW though, his faceoff skills have been outstanding (60%) and he's growing in his ability to put his big frame in front and establish a strong net presence as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Haula is sloted back on 2nd line C, and Condon on 1st line W. Given this is most likely Haula's last season with the Gophers, I'm sure he's locked, loaded and ready to make his mark now for a deep playoff run.
                            Good thoughts. Agree on all accounts.

Comment

Bye weeks are tough.
                              Was hoping for a good showing from the beavers, but they were scored upon often before the first period was over. Taking a pounding.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                                I wouldn't be surprised if Haula is sloted back on 2nd line C, and Condon on 1st line W. Given this is most likely Haula's last season with the Gophers, I'm sure he's locked, loaded and ready to make his mark now for a deep playoff run.
                                I suspect you're correct.

And I may be in the minority but I've started to consider the Buddish-Haula-Warning line MN's first line. Unfortunately every time they seem to really bgin to click the get hit with a weird injury (Warning early, Haula recently) and hopefully they can regain their mojo. I also think Bjugstad & Rau are complemented by Condon, they just seemed more comfortable with him at their wing. I don't mind Isackson as the wing with Rau/Bjugstad but I really like him (Isackson) on the 4th line, gives them someone who can control the puck.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X