X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part III: There Will Be Math Involved

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
    Yes, that was the game.

For those who don't remember it, the officials lost control pretty early and never got it back. Finally, late in the second period, there was a bench-clearing brawl. The teams were sent back to their locker rooms, the officials left the ice, and it was eventually announced that the game was over. All but three RPI players and one Colgate player were called for at least one penalty. Since the rules state that each team must have at least four players on the ice at all times and neither team had that many guys eligible to be on the ice for the next faceoff, the game was terminated. Colgate was leading at the time, 5-1, so that was the final score.

In truth, RPI played terribly that night and deserved to lose. It would really have been a travesty if one fewer RPI player had been penalized and the Engineers had won by forfeit by virtue of being able to put four guys on the ice when Colgate couldn't.
    Most certainly they played terribly and deserved to lose, but I was still ****ed that it ended that way. Thanks for confirming that Threadgold was the ref, so I won't have to dig out my program with the scorecard.

As to not remembering the game, most of the posters here weren't born yet.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Havasu M View Post
      "RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part IV there will be hockey.
      Not bad.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        Thanks Aspy but i was just pointing out the obvious. Hockey is a very intricate game. Every call can turn out to mean the result of the game is altered. usually they even out. We get as many bad calls on the opponent as we get against ourselves. We get emotional and sometimes forget that. I want to believe that officials really do try to do the best job and call a consistent and fair game. But over a long enough period of time-seeing the officials over and over again-some things just become a bit too obvious. The stat sheet at the end of a game never tells the entire story. You really have to see agame either live or covered as well as possible on TV (and RPI TV does a superb job). Anyone who just looks at the final score sheet and says they can describe what happened in that game is deluding themselves. It is a 60 minute game and anycall made by an official, any missed call made by an official, and good or bad play by any player has effects far beyond just what happens at that moment. I would never judge any official by a one night appearance. Probably not even after seeing him work games a few times. But after a while you see a pattern-and when you find that other see that same pattern-something is not kosher. 50 years of followihng RPI hockey gives me a little different perspective than some others. All I ask of a crew of officials is be consistent, be fair, and try not to let a game get out of control while at the same time not becoming the focus of the game yourself. Just my 2¢
        Did you read WaP's recent post that compared our records with certain refs with our overall record in the same time period?
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-31-2013, 09:33 PM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Was Threadgold the one who called the plethora of penalties in an RPI/Colgate game so that there were not enough non-penalized players to finish the game?
          Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
          Sorry for being a little late with this post, but since we're discussing ancient history, maybe it doesn't matter.

My recollection is that, way back in my student days of the '60's, there were only two officials, each of whom served in the dual capacity of both referee and linesman.

There has been much discussion of referees who didn't call games the way we might have liked to see them, but for me, the ref who takes the cake will always be Giles Threadgold, who presided over a farce of a game between RPI and Colgate in 1968.

Oddly, I have absolutely no recollection of who the other official - who should probably have shared 50% of the blame - was on that occasion.
          Ah Giles Threadgold -- the answer to the trivia question of "who is the only person to have played in and reffed an NCAA Ice Hockey Championship game"
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
            Whats the status quo? Are you nuts SA needs to win. This is getting old! You have to be his illegitimate stepchild
            I'm actually Red Cloud's illegitimate son.
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Ah Giles Threadgold -- the answer to the trivia question of "who is the only person to have played in and reffed an NCAA Ice Hockey Championship game"
              The same game?
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ed Weaver's article http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                  I'm actually Red Cloud's illegitimate son.
                  That explains a lot.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Most certainly they played terribly and deserved to lose, but I was still ****ed that it ended that way. Thanks for confirming that Threadgold was the ref, so I won't have to dig out my program with the scorecard.

As to not remembering the game, most of the posters here weren't born yet.
                    I knew that I would eventually look for that program. I didn't enter the refs' names in it. I also didn't enter the penalties that ended the game. I don't know if they weren't announced, or if I just didn't hear them clearly. I wrote the following "Game forfeited to Colgate 5-1 at 19:10 of 2nd period with neither side able to field 4 players to continue play. 7 RPI players and 8 Colgate players received major and game misconduct penalties for fighting. Since an equal number had to sit in the penalty box to serve major penalties and RPI was already one man short, this left RPI with only two players and Colgate with one." (Note that only 17 players including goalies were dressed back then.)
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The same game?
                      Maybe if it ended 1-0... of course, goals deflected off the referee don't count.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Maybe if it ended 1-0... of course, goals deflected off the referee don't count.
                        Is that true? I thought that the refs were considered part of the rink for that purpose.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Is that true? I thought that the refs were considered part of the rink for that purpose.
                          If it goes in directly off of an official, it is no goal. Rule 6-18-c-6.

It happened in the Holy Cross-Denver game at the Denver Cup in 2009 and (by my eye) appeared to be deflected by the goalie prior to crossing the goalline, but was still (incorrectly, again, JMO) ruled no goal. The game recap from USCHO mentioned the rule.
                          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

In case anyone local to the Albany area doesn't feel like going to the game tonight, RPI/Colgate women's hockey is televised.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                              I want to formally extend an invite to Paul Stewart to debate me on the Wyland ECAC show next thursday. He can even have Schottsie moderate the debate.
                              With all due respect, you wouldn't stand a chance. He would reveal your lack of hockey knowledge within the first 10 seconds.
                              I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                                With all due respect, you wouldn't stand a chance. He would reveal your lack of hockey knowledge within the first 10 seconds.
                                He'd spend the first four minutes going over his accolades.

Comment

Working...
                                X