X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part III: There Will Be Math Involved

Originally posted by RKarger View Post
    They started a band in the last couple years. They have a very limited selection of music because they haven't been around very long.
    Thanks. I guess thst I missed it if it was ever posted that they started a band.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Thanks. I guess thst I missed it if it was ever posted that they started a band.
      It's not a very good band.

Comment

It's not a very good band.
        I am more concerned about their hockey team.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rkarger View Post
          they started a band in the last couple years. They have a very limited selection of students because they haven't been around very long
          fyp.
          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Were the stands really packed? The boxscore on USCHO says that the attendence was 5,989.
            Were the stands really packed??? Guess it depends on how the data is processed. That varies from individual to individual as does the definition of "success". Generally, my definition of "success" would be defined as 5,989 people making totally voluntary decisions to make a purchase and paying for it with no outside pressures applied to them and absolutely no freebies of any kind. Keeping that in mind there is the following to consider.

1) At pickup time for RPI season ticket holders, they were handed a memo asking that any of their Mayor's Cup tickets expected to not be used be resubmitted to the school so that they could be given away. Though we have absolutely no idea how many, it is my and our understanding that tickets for this event were given away (mostly to groups) like penny candy above and beyond any that were resubmitted. If anyone can confirm this, refute this or provide reasonable estimates, feel welcome.

2) General public Union season ticket holders were given a Mayor's Cup ticket at no additional cost. This was confirmed by Union season ticket holders I come in contact with both through my work and socially. Regardless of how many and what they said, a call to Union's box office back in the fall further confirmed this fact to my satisfaction (I pretended to be a potential new customer). The only missing piece of information here is exactly how many general public season tickets Union sells. If anyone is aware of this figure, please fell free.

3) RPI season ticket holders were simply forced to pay (believed to be the full $15) for the Mayor's Cup ticket regardless of whether they wanted to trek to downtown Albany or wanted to go to this game period. Refusal to do so would have put the seat I have held since 1977 and surrounded by friends up for grabs to any new customer or anyone who wanted to change seats. For $15 I would have had to take both that risk and also risked exposing my friends to a new neighbor in their mists they may not have been thrilled with. Believe me, I specifically asked for a season ticket that did not involve going to an area at night that I am quite familiar with (worked in that area from 1979 to 2004 and again from 2005 to 2010) and, at age 60, simply is no longer comfortable being in. The request was summarily refused. It was cough up the $15 or take the above risks. In addition, I would also lose stand to lose my spot on the parking lot list and be left with no on site parking. Sorry, that is not a voluntary purchase with no outside pressure. It more resembles strong arming or a out and out shakedown. RPI general public season ticket holders number around a thousand. Exactly how many, especially the many older ones, did not want to go and ate this ticket will probably never be known.

In conclusion, "success" would probably best be defined as 5,989 minus the totals of 1, 2 and 3. If whatever that answer is would still be termed a "success", so be it and great. Having this event turn out to be the "success" that it was makes me very happy since next year no one should feel compelled to shake me out of $15 for an event I simply do not want to attend. For those who do support this event, wish for it to continue and are willing to attend it, that is great too. However, morally and ethically, you should be the ones who foot the bill for it without any help from or reprecussions to anyone who does not wish to.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
              They started a band in the last couple years. They have a very limited selection of music because they haven't been around very long.
              fyp.
              That as well...but we've run into them three or four times now and heard the exact same repertoire every time, with repeats during the games, which is what stands out to me as a member of RPI's band, where we have about 100 songs in the active set pulled from the full library of 475 songs, plus the cheers for stoppages.

Comment

That as well...but we've run into them three or four times now and heard the exact same repertoire every time, with repeats during the games, which is what stands out to me as a member of RPI's band, where we have about 100 songs in the active set pulled from the full library of 475 songs, plus the cheers for stoppages.
                You hear repetition from Cornell as well, but with them it's almost expected. Plus, doesn't Union's band only play when RPI shows up?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  You hear repetition from Cornell as well, but with them it's almost expected. Plus, doesn't Union's band only play when RPI shows up?
                  We're not the right people to ask; I don't go out of my way to see Union games.
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Did you try disconnecting and connecting again?
                    No, I didn't. I tried refreshing, but I guess that's not the same thing.

I'll have to try disconnecting and reconnecting if I have the same problem in the future.

Comment

I really should have gone to Berlin this weekend instead of sticking around and listening to the game.
                      You made the right call Ralph!

Random comments from an olde time poster and recent lurker (I have my reasons):
                      1) Bailen's penalty was a joke if taken at face value. Was the call a somewhat misguided attempt by Kotyra to make up for the hit on Grosneck? Regardless, Kotrya has been BRUTAL to RPI over the years...and that's being kind to him more than we should be. RPI deserved a better fate from the game they played and how if was officiated.
                      2) Terrific hockey game. Well played with great action, skilled play, and a lively crowd. I've read the few season ticket holders' comments on being forced to buy this game but it was well worth the price in my opinion. This atmosphere was outstanding and I hope each school continues this event this time of year, not in October like in previous attempts. Hopefully, the game will be able to 'sell itself' and not force this game as part of the season ticket package. Maybe this year's success will allow it to gain some corporate sponsorships to underwrite its cost.
                      3) Luke Curadi is now my hero. Luke, on the way back to the locker room after warmups, took the time to hand a puck to a really young RPI fan. Not just flipping it to the child but making sincere eye contact and all. Afterwards, the parents of the child were simply awestruck at Luke's gesture and I believe #5 is now their favorite player too! I know when my son was awestruck by the players in his younger years and as a parent I can relate what joy it brings. Major props, Luke.

Still Crazy in Section 17....Larry
                      RPI Hockey - Taking on the World!

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        fyp.
                        FWIW, Union has been around as a college longer than RPI, although not as log continuously as a hockey team.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This hasn't be brought up recently, but only 13 more victories until RPI reaches 1000. Not likely to happen this season, but I can still hope. Also only 17 more games until we reach 2000. With 10 regular season games remaining, if we play in the first round of the ECAC playoffs and then get to AC with at least one loss, we will reach that this year. (We can also make it several ways if we make the NCAA tourney. In the unlikely event that we get a bye in the ECAC tourney and reach both the ECAC and NCAA finals with no loss in the ECAC tourney, we will make it to 2000 in the NCAA championship game. )

Our current record is 987-877-119 in 1983 games for a .528 percentage. The modern era stats are 962-804-113 in 1879 games for a .542.

Another question is why is a three-digit decimal representation called a percentage?
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
                            Were the stands really packed??? Guess it depends on how the data is processed. That varies from individual to individual as does the definition of "success". Generally, my definition of "success" would be defined as 5,989 people making totally voluntary decisions to make a purchase and paying for it with no outside pressures applied to them and absolutely no freebies of any kind. Keeping that in mind there is the following to consider.

1) At pickup time for RPI season ticket holders, they were handed a memo asking that any of their Mayor's Cup tickets expected to not be used be resubmitted to the school so that they could be given away. Though we have absolutely no idea how many, it is my and our understanding that tickets for this event were given away (mostly to groups) like penny candy above and beyond any that were resubmitted. If anyone can confirm this, refute this or provide reasonable estimates, feel welcome.

2) General public Union season ticket holders were given a Mayor's Cup ticket at no additional cost. This was confirmed by Union season ticket holders I come in contact with both through my work and socially. Regardless of how many and what they said, a call to Union's box office back in the fall further confirmed this fact to my satisfaction (I pretended to be a potential new customer). The only missing piece of information here is exactly how many general public season tickets Union sells. If anyone is aware of this figure, please fell free.

3) RPI season ticket holders were simply forced to pay (believed to be the full $15) for the Mayor's Cup ticket regardless of whether they wanted to trek to downtown Albany or wanted to go to this game period. Refusal to do so would have put the seat I have held since 1977 and surrounded by friends up for grabs to any new customer or anyone who wanted to change seats. For $15 I would have had to take both that risk and also risked exposing my friends to a new neighbor in their mists they may not have been thrilled with. Believe me, I specifically asked for a season ticket that did not involve going to an area at night that I am quite familiar with (worked in that area from 1979 to 2004 and again from 2005 to 2010) and, at age 60, simply is no longer comfortable being in. The request was summarily refused. It was cough up the $15 or take the above risks. In addition, I would also lose stand to lose my spot on the parking lot list and be left with no on site parking. Sorry, that is not a voluntary purchase with no outside pressure. It more resembles strong arming or a out and out shakedown. RPI general public season ticket holders number around a thousand. Exactly how many, especially the many older ones, did not want to go and ate this ticket will probably never be known.

In conclusion, "success" would probably best be defined as 5,989 minus the totals of 1, 2 and 3. If whatever that answer is would still be termed a "success", so be it and great. Having this event turn out to be the "success" that it was makes me very happy since next year no one should feel compelled to shake me out of $15 for an event I simply do not want to attend. For those who do support this event, wish for it to continue and are willing to attend it, that is great too. However, morally and ethically, you should be the ones who foot the bill for it without any help from or reprecussions to anyone who does not wish to.
                            +1!!! Interesting how Union gives there fans a ticket, and RPI admin makes their season ticket holders pay full value for it, then wants it back if you plan not to attend!! Seems counter productive, especially in light of the "success" RPI has had against Union recently.
                            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                              +1!!! Interesting how Union gives there fans a ticket, and RPI admin makes their season ticket holders pay full value for it, then wants it back if you plan not to attend!! Seems counter productive, especially in light of the "success" RPI has had against Union recently.
                              Complain to the President of the [student] Union if you must, but I'm not sure the kids were willing to eat a cost like that. Remember, the only thing the administration controls, unless something has changed, is the salaries of the staff. Plus, why are we wasting a NC game with them, anyway?

Comment

This hasn't be brought up recently, but only 13 more victories until RPI reaches 1000. Not likely to happen this season, but I can still hope. Also only 17 more games until we reach 2000. With 10 regular season games remaining, if we play in the first round of the ECAC playoffs and then get to AC with at least one loss, we will reach that this year. (We can also make it several ways if we make the NCAA tourney. In the unlikely event that we get a bye in the ECAC tourney and reach both the ECAC and NCAA finals with no loss in the ECAC tourney, we will make it to 2000 in the NCAA championship game. )

Our current record is 987-877-119 in 1983 games for a .528 percentage. The modern era stats are 962-804-113 in 1879 games for a .542.

Another question is why is a three-digit decimal representation called a percentage?
                                Thanks Ralph. I normally keep track of this number but have gotten quite confused lately as to what games in the past are not considered in the total of wins. I have come up with several different totals. I know we do not count exhibition wins now-but way back-we played teams and won games that would be considered exhibitions now but perhaps not back then. I too have us at 987 using the numbers that WaP posted before the season. Wouldn't it be special if we played exactly 17 more games this year? And won exactly 13 of them? That would of course make this a very successful year!!
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X