PDA

View Full Version : RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part III: There Will Be Math Involved

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Ralph Baer
01-27-2013, 03:07 PM
We are not the same team with Burger out of the lineup. He's earned his role on that energy line ...he has been outstanding and was missed last night, IMO.

Whom would you have sat instead?

Wicked Slappaahs
01-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Apologies --I'm sure you guys touched on this, either here, or in the score thread.... I thought Seth's time out following the blown icing call was really bad. Our coaches said virtually nothing to our guys during the T.O, while Seth failed at attempting to make a point by staring daggers at Kotyra. All it accomplished was to allow Union to set up their offense and a play for the tying goal... which they got. I'm sure Seth would like a do over on that one.

Thankfully, there's another game coming up --one that is a heck of a lot more important than the last one. Short memories are in order, and with that, I'm thru talking about last night. GO RED.

Wicked Slappaahs
01-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Whom would you have sat instead?The guy who replaced him.

Senna
01-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Absoltutely agree with this and other similar comments here. Any self-respecting refs does not want to make a call that will impact the outcome of a game, which is exactly what Kotyra did. A minute plus left in a tie game and they whistle us for standing a guy up with the puck at his feet. I'm a big boy, I can handle losing, but sure as sh ** can't accept having a game taken away from our guys. I left with a sense of complete disgust. Union is a skilled team, they don't need the zebras help to win games. All I can hope is that our guys can use this as catalyst to come out and inflict some damage on Harvard this Friday night.

+1. As always, spot on.

Waite21
01-27-2013, 03:16 PM
I wanted to ask this question of the RPI TV folks, but I can't find any contact information on their website, so I'll ask it here.

Yesterday afternoon, RPI TV produced a webcast of the men's basketball game. I was connected to the basketball program when I was in school, so I watched it.

It was a good quality production, with the exception that, during the entire game, there was a little box right in the middle of the screen with the word "Buffering" and a little blue light winking across the box from left to right. I could generally ignore it, except when the camera angle was such that the Buffering box obscured the basket when a shot was on its way.

I've tuned in to a number of RPI TV's hockey webcasts and don't recall ever having this problem before. Does anyone know how to correct this problem, if it happens again?

Ralph Baer
01-27-2013, 03:59 PM
The guy who replaced him.

That would be Higgs. I don't think that would have to be the case.

Ralph Baer
01-27-2013, 04:00 PM
I wanted to ask this question of the RPI TV folks, but I can't find any contact information on their website, so I'll ask it here.

Yesterday afternoon, RPI TV produced a webcast of the men's basketball game. I was connected to the basketball program when I was in school, so I watched it.

It was a good quality production, with the exception that, during the entire game, there was a little box right in the middle of the screen with the word "Buffering" and a little blue light winking across the box from left to right. I could generally ignore it, except when the camera angle was such that the Buffering box obscured the basket when a shot was on its way.

I've tuned in to a number of RPI TV's hockey webcasts and don't recall ever having this problem before. Does anyone know how to correct this problem, if it happens again? Did you try disconnecting and connecting again?

FlagDUDE08
01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
The guy who replaced him.

Higgs? Maybe not too bad of an idea. But hey, if Coach felt that Higgs gave us the best chance to win over Burgie, then I'll respect his decision absolutely and without discussion.

Ralph Baer
01-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Higgs? Maybe not too bad of an idea. But hey, if Coach felt that Higgs gave us the best chance to win over Burgie, then I'll respect his decision absolutely and without discussion. Yes, we definitely had more healthy talented players yesterday than could dress, and SA had to make at least that one decision.

FlagDUDE08
01-27-2013, 04:13 PM
BTW, not to bring up the atrocity again, but did I hear the band play "Forget You" after the phantom interference?

DrDemento
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Yes, we definitely had more healthy talented players yesterday than could dress, and SA had to make at least that one decision.

That is the situation we prefer. I would like for the remainder of the season that we have so many healthy players that SA has to make these decisions game by game. That is far better than trying to find replacements for injuries any time. In the past 7 games, we may have had one rather bad game(or at least second half of a game-at UNH). The remainder of the time we have played our best hockey of the season. Hopefully the calls even out later and we don't have anything to gripe about from here on as the games become more important each weekend.

Ralph Baer
01-27-2013, 04:34 PM
That is the situation we prefer. I would like for the remainder of the season that we have so many healthy players that SA has to make these decisions game by game. That is far better than trying to find replacements for injuries any time. In the past 7 games, we may have had one rather bad game(or at least second half of a game-at UNH). The remainder of the time we have played our best hockey of the season. Hopefully the calls even out later and we don't have anything to gripe about from here on as the games become more important each weekend. I think that SA has said that he prefers this also.

lugnut92
01-27-2013, 04:40 PM
BTW, not to bring up the atrocity again, but did I hear the band play "Forget You" after the phantom interference?

You heard the Union band play that. Twice.

Ralph Baer
01-27-2013, 04:49 PM
You heard the Union band play that. Twice.

I thought that Union didn't have a band.

RKarger
01-27-2013, 05:10 PM
I thought that Union didn't have a band.

They started a band in the last couple years. They have a very limited selection of music because they haven't been around very long.

Ralph Baer
01-27-2013, 05:17 PM
They started a band in the last couple years. They have a very limited selection of music because they haven't been around very long. Thanks. I guess thst I missed it if it was ever posted that they started a band.

RKarger
01-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks. I guess thst I missed it if it was ever posted that they started a band.
It's not a very good band. :p

Ralph Baer
01-27-2013, 05:20 PM
It's not a very good band. :p

I am more concerned about their hockey team. :D

jericho
01-27-2013, 05:35 PM
they started a band in the last couple years. They have a very limited selection of students because they haven't been around very long

fyp.

tony/troy
01-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Were the stands really packed? The boxscore on USCHO says that the attendence was 5,989.

Were the stands really packed??? Guess it depends on how the data is processed. That varies from individual to individual as does the definition of "success". Generally, my definition of "success" would be defined as 5,989 people making totally voluntary decisions to make a purchase and paying for it with no outside pressures applied to them and absolutely no freebies of any kind. Keeping that in mind there is the following to consider.

1) At pickup time for RPI season ticket holders, they were handed a memo asking that any of their Mayor's Cup tickets expected to not be used be resubmitted to the school so that they could be given away. Though we have absolutely no idea how many, it is my and our understanding that tickets for this event were given away (mostly to groups) like penny candy above and beyond any that were resubmitted. If anyone can confirm this, refute this or provide reasonable estimates, feel welcome.

2) General public Union season ticket holders were given a Mayor's Cup ticket at no additional cost. This was confirmed by Union season ticket holders I come in contact with both through my work and socially. Regardless of how many and what they said, a call to Union's box office back in the fall further confirmed this fact to my satisfaction (I pretended to be a potential new customer). The only missing piece of information here is exactly how many general public season tickets Union sells. If anyone is aware of this figure, please fell free.

3) RPI season ticket holders were simply forced to pay (believed to be the full $15) for the Mayor's Cup ticket regardless of whether they wanted to trek to downtown Albany or wanted to go to this game period. Refusal to do so would have put the seat I have held since 1977 and surrounded by friends up for grabs to any new customer or anyone who wanted to change seats. For $15 I would have had to take both that risk and also risked exposing my friends to a new neighbor in their mists they may not have been thrilled with. Believe me, I specifically asked for a season ticket that did not involve going to an area at night that I am quite familiar with (worked in that area from 1979 to 2004 and again from 2005 to 2010) and, at age 60, simply is no longer comfortable being in. The request was summarily refused. It was cough up the $15 or take the above risks. In addition, I would also lose stand to lose my spot on the parking lot list and be left with no on site parking. Sorry, that is not a voluntary purchase with no outside pressure. It more resembles strong arming or a out and out shakedown. RPI general public season ticket holders number around a thousand. Exactly how many, especially the many older ones, did not want to go and ate this ticket will probably never be known.

In conclusion, "success" would probably best be defined as 5,989 minus the totals of 1, 2 and 3. If whatever that answer is would still be termed a "success", so be it and great. Having this event turn out to be the "success" that it was makes me very happy since next year no one should feel compelled to shake me out of $15 for an event I simply do not want to attend. For those who do support this event, wish for it to continue and are willing to attend it, that is great too. However, morally and ethically, you should be the ones who foot the bill for it without any help from or reprecussions to anyone who does not wish to.