UConn's Marshall Resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn's Marshall Resigns

Sad day for college hockey, Coach Marshall resigning even though he's been on medical leave of absence. Encouraging everyone to leave well wishes for the coach in his recovery.

Some articles regarding the resignation:

http://excalibursportspage.com/2013/...shall-resigns/

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ly_resigns.php

http://themackreport.com/breaking-uc...shall-resigns/
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Re: UConn's Marshall Resigns

Is he healthy?

Comment

Sad news. Hope he can make a full recovery.
      #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Is he healthy?
        My guess is no, but Marshall and UConn have been very closed mouth about his condition at his request. There had been some thought he would be back after the break. Obviously that didn't happen.

Comment

Don't know much about him, but wish him the best. I'm curious what level of coach UConn fans think they'll be able to attract...

Comment

Don't know much about him, but wish him the best. I'm curious what level of coach UConn fans think they'll be able to attract...
            With the upcoming move to Hockey East I would think there will be some interest. Depending on how the year goes, I wouldn't be shocked if Berard, the acting head coach, gets a look. I could see them talking to some of the same folks UMass looked at, too. There is some thought that Berard was brought in as a sort of coach in waiting once Bruce decided to retire after the Hockey East upgrade but I haven't heard anything official on that.

Comment

Tim Whitehead might be available pretty soon. I hope.
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Is he healthy?
                If after two months on medical leave, he's resigning as head coach, it doesn't take much to infer that the answer to that is "no". The fact that he would have to be in his early 50s sort of speaks to that as well. There's been literally no other information than his announcement taking medical leave or today's resignation, but I can't imagine it means good things for him.

It's an interesting question to be sure, because it's literally in the midst of an upgrade to the school's commitment to hockey. Someone we might not expect might jump on it for the potential of it being that "lifetime job that ends with getting the arena named after you" (independent of the probability of that occurring, which I will admit is pretty low).

I don't think any current coach is going to jump on the opportunity, unlike with the Penn State opening; it's not enough of a clear upgrade (UConn's fortunes are likely to be poor in its initial HEA years). Someone's assistant might; realistically, from a mid-tier school like Northeastern or Merrimack. My guess is they're not proceeding with an established 'short list', rather dangling one's bait in the water and see who bites at it.
                Last edited by kingdobbs; 01-07-2013, 04:50 PM.
                UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                  If after two months on medical leave, he's resigning as head coach, it doesn't take much to infer that the answer to that is "no". The fact that he would have to be in his early 50s sort of speaks to that as well. There's been literally no other information than his announcement taking medical leave or today's resignation, but I can't imagine it means good things for him.
                  I just didn't know if there was more to the story--behind the scene stuff where this wasn't actually his call. Maybe UConn wanted to go in a different direction going forward anyway.

Comment

I just didn't know if there was more to the story--behind the scene stuff where this wasn't actually his call. Maybe UConn wanted to go in a different direction going forward anyway.
                    It's possible that was brought into the discussion. The AD realistically can't hold the position for him indefinitely, and with the upgrade going on, it would seem more prudent to ensure there was a clear choice for who would be coaching in the very critical early years; if Marshall wasn't going to be able to be that guy, it makes sense for both parties to move on.

To me, though, the best time to announce a new direction was probably when they announced the upgrade. Which is why I'm banking on the fact that it's a medical issue.
                    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

All the best to the Coach and his UConn friends. Hope he is ok.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

My guess - Toot Cahoon or they stay with Berard
                        Last edited by UNHHurstFan; 01-08-2013, 06:25 AM.

Comment

I am staggered. He did so much for youth hockey. I remember his Monday night clinics for the serious kids back in the D-3 days. He was dead tired from the weekend, you could tell, but still he came out because the kids in the area needed the kind of high level coaching they could get in those clinics.

Just wish he had the chance to take the Huskies into HE for at least a couple of seasons. He did a lot at UConn with very few resources and rules far more restrictive than other non-scholarship programs.

Best of luck, Bruce. We will miss you.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHHurstFan View Post
                            My guess - Toot Cahoon or they stay with Berard
                            They could do a whole lot worse than either of those guys. Either one would be a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                              I am staggered. He did so much for youth hockey. I remember his Monday night clinics for the serious kids back in the D-3 days. He was dead tired from the weekend, you could tell, but still he came out because the kids in the area needed the kind of high level coaching they could get in those clinics.

Just wish he had the chance to take the Huskies into HE for at least a couple of seasons. He did a lot at UConn with very few resources and rules far more restrictive than other non-scholarship programs.

Best of luck, Bruce. We will miss you.
                              Let me second your thoughts. I have always been a defender, and wondered what he would do with a full (even AHA full) set of scholarships.

Comment

Working...
                              X