Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey, '12-'13, Volume II: #JohnnyHockey or #GaudreaubeyBaker?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston College Hockey, '12-'13, Volume II: #JohnnyHockey or #GaudreaubeyBaker?

So we got through Gaudreaulessness still #1 in the Pairwise. Gonna have to wake up to stay there though.

How about the Q though huh? They just won't lose...
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: Boston College Hockey, '12-'13, Volume II: #JohnnyHockey or #GaudreaubeyBaker?

It's going to be very, very difficult to deal with Alber's long term absence. In considering BC's lack of depth this year, most people seemed to be concerned with what would happen if one of the top 5 forwards got hurt. What we really should have been considering was what would happen if one of the upper class defenseman got hurt. We're finding out now and not liking the answer.
    The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
    BC - 12
    BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Re: Boston College Hockey, '12-'13, Volume II: #JohnnyHockey or #GaudreaubeyBaker?

2-2-2 in the last 6 games with one of the W's against Ala-Huntsville. Not the way Jerry planned to go into the second half of the season.
      Milner's playing well at 2.48 GAA but 6 goals in 31 shots vs Minnesota in a marquee game?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        So we got through Gaudreaulessness still #1 in the Pairwise. Gonna have to wake up to stay there though.

How about the Q though huh? They just won't lose...
        Eff the Q! no, just kidding, good for them but cross check is spot on

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
          2-2-2 in the last 6 games with one of the W's against Ala-Huntsville. Not the way Jerry planned to go into the second half of the season.
          Milner's playing well at 2.48 GAA but 6 goals in 31 shots vs Minnesota in a marquee game?
          hopefully this is our usual mid-season swoon and Jerry and the staff will fix it.......

Comment

Special teams and defense are usually bad and get fixed down the road by the staff. I can't complain much about the PP actually. But the PK didn't look very good the other night. And the defense is a mess right now. So for the most part they are right on target.

What we usually don't see a fix for is the lack of depth at forward. That is still the concern in my opinion. There are literally two lines+ worth of 12th forwards. Straight just doesn't have it and is still a deficient skater IMO. I'd be shocked if he ever does much at this level. He was ok when mooching off of Kreider and Hayes. Sit is a 12th forward. Spiro will probably end up on the bench but I don't think he should. But he's another good 12th forward. Linell has some talent but needs to tap into it more - probably a good 3rd liner but maybe not much higher - 2nd liner tops. Dyroff... knowing that he is on the PP at times and has played the point I think he's probably better than we're giving credit for (he launched a bomb recently that surprised me). But another 12th foward for all intents and purposes. Brown... big body, slow, hesitant... not sure what he brings to the table. Quinn Smith, great role player, the best of the bunch IMO, the kid is a warrior and kills penalty, blocks shots, etc. But we don't see much production out of him and I'm not sure you would even if you moved him up to have better linemates (did he get moved up at one point recently?).

So you're left with Whitney, Mullane, Gaudreau (insane line)... and Arnold (as I told you all he had a career year last year for production but still is a fantastic two-way guy), Hayes (sometimes), and Silk (getting better every game and already a top 6 forward on this team).

That concerns me. You really can't hide that weakness over the long haul usually (even a 4 game tournament). If you do, consider yourself incredibly lucky. The PP is going to have to be amazing (very possible) and probably will need offensive contributions from the defensemen (Matheson).

The good news is that I still don't see any goalies that are as good as Milner is consistently. So they are really set in net. Get the defense in order and hope the PP gets hot and you can get on a roll and hope to avoid that day when line #1 gets shut down and the PP falters on the same night.
            Originally posted by reBlur
            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I think most of you are overreacting to the 2-2-2 span. Most any other school would be satisfied with such a swoon. The 2 losses are to top 6 PWR teams, one of the wins is too, a tie with #12 and a tie with a TUC along with the UAH win which was Jerry's record breaking night. With JG back in the lineup look for things to reignite for remember how other BC players came back at another level after coming back from World Junior level play. The UNH series may well be the toughest games left in the regular season and if they come out of that with a split or better look for a #1 seed to stay in place. UML is the one team that has started to move and BC has already played them twice and the third is at Conte so that helps. Many don't realize that UML is now already at #14 PWR and is a real threat to crack home ice so BU better watch out if they want 3rd.

Comment

The least of my worries is milner getting yanked in the mariucci classic. I also think they have enough offense to do well. The focus needs to be on defense obviously, but everyone needs to pitch in. The forwards are going to have to work harder defensively, especially the ones that aren't producing offense. This team isn't as good as the record indicates but that's money in the bank. They will be a dangerous team come tourney time provided nobody else goes down and alber can get healthy. They can certainly get by a 2-2-2 stretch. Not the end of the world.

Comment

So the uscho schedule says march 2 game is at providence but my tickets say game is at conte

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    So the uscho schedule says march 2 game is at providence but my tickets say game is at conte
                    Confucius say, he who rely on USCHO schedule, becomes only fan at game.
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      There are only two schedules that can be trusted...

BC's Schedule
                      and
                      Hockey East Schedule

Pay not attention to any other schedules.
                      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                        It's going to be very, very difficult to deal with Alber's long term absence. In considering BC's lack of depth this year, most people seemed to be concerned with what would happen if one of the top 5 forwards got hurt. What we really should have been considering was what would happen if one of the upper class defenseman got hurt. We're finding out now and not liking the answer.
                        Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                        Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                        Eff the Q! no, just kidding, good for them but cross check is spot on
                        Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                        Special teams and defense are usually bad and get fixed down the road by the staff. I can't complain much about the PP actually. But the PK didn't look very good the other night. And the defense is a mess right now. So for the most part they are right on target.

What we usually don't see a fix for is the lack of depth at forward. That is still the concern in my opinion. There are literally two lines+ worth of 12th forwards. Straight just doesn't have it and is still a deficient skater IMO. I'd be shocked if he ever does much at this level. He was ok when mooching off of Kreider and Hayes. Sit is a 12th forward. Spiro will probably end up on the bench but I don't think he should. But he's another good 12th forward. Linell has some talent but needs to tap into it more - probably a good 3rd liner but maybe not much higher - 2nd liner tops. Dyroff... knowing that he is on the PP at times and has played the point I think he's probably better than we're giving credit for (he launched a bomb recently that surprised me). But another 12th foward for all intents and purposes. Brown... big body, slow, hesitant... not sure what he brings to the table. Quinn Smith, great role player, the best of the bunch IMO, the kid is a warrior and kills penalty, blocks shots, etc. But we don't see much production out of him and I'm not sure you would even if you moved him up to have better linemates (did he get moved up at one point recently?).

So you're left with Whitney, Mullane, Gaudreau (insane line)... and Arnold (as I told you all he had a career year last year for production but still is a fantastic two-way guy), Hayes (sometimes), and Silk (getting better every game and already a top 6 forward on this team).

That concerns me. You really can't hide that weakness over the long haul usually (even a 4 game tournament). If you do, consider yourself incredibly lucky. The PP is going to have to be amazing (very possible) and probably will need offensive contributions from the defensemen (Matheson).

The good news is that I still don't see any goalies that are as good as Milner is consistently. So they are really set in net. Get the defense in order and hope the PP gets hot and you can get on a roll and hope to avoid that day when line #1 gets shut down and the PP falters on the same night.
                        Whoa, whoa, whoa... slow down there fellas.

We're sitting at 12-3-2 while playing the 3rd toughest schedule in the nation to this point. Twelve of our games are against TUC's in which we are 8-2-2.

2-2-2 in our last 6. One of those losses being against our arch rival in their barn, which we avenged the following night, and the other against a Minnesota team wanting revenge, in their barn, while we're without our best player and with 2 young d-men that suited up for only their second ever collegiate game.

This team didn't get here by being flashy and overpowering opponents. They've gotten here by working their arses off for 60 minutes every night and playing exceptional team defense. I expect that to continue given the leadership on this team.

I have no worries at this point. I'll start to worry when we stop hustling, stop playing tenacious team D or the injury bug hits us hard. I like what I see in Jeke. The coaching staff will have these guys cranking when it matters. Too much heart and talent on this team for me to think otherwise.

Besides... IT'S ALL MY FAULT. I switched hats after the BU loss (that was the only loss for the old 90's gold cap... 8-1-0 while wearing it). I switched to a new stocking cap knitted for me by a customer. The stocking cap is still undefeated at 1-0-2, but I'm switching back for the UNH series ( I hate ties ). Besides... that stocking cap is hot as hell and I sweat my butt off.
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

^^^ FiveHole, just do your job and get the right hat on!! I'm thinking the 90's gold cap is more becoming than the maroon and gold striped i saw you with from my seats friday night

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                            We've been saying it all year, the team is extremely top heavy. My concern is that no one has stepped up from what was last years 4th line to provide offense.

Linell, agreed he has talent and we've seen flashes but reality is we're looking at 11 points in nearly 60 games.
                            There's no question the injury set Straight back. I thought he was coming along with Arnold and Hayes until he got hurt. This injury tends to linger for a while, when Gaudreau comes back I'd keep Silk with Arnold/Hayes for a little.
                            Quinn: have to agree with you. Love his game. Puts it all on the line every night, is great on the PK. 0 points in 17 games though? Even though he was robbed at PC of a SHG.
                            Sit no goals in 56 games. Now goals aren't the be all, end all and there are certainly other ways to help the team (see: Smith, Quinn). But putting the puck in the net once every blue moon isn't crazy.

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                            This team didn't get here by being flashy and overpowering opponents. They've gotten here by working their arses off for 60 minutes every night and playing exceptional team defense. I expect that to continue given the leadership on this team.
                            Agree it'll continue, Friday night was pretty frustrating especially coming off the Minnesota game.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                              Besides... that stocking cap is hot as hell and I sweat my butt off.
                              You're supposed to wear it on your head!
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X