Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey, '12-'13, Volume II: #JohnnyHockey or #GaudreaubeyBaker?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Hockey, '12-'13, Volume II: #JohnnyHockey or #GaudreaubeyBaker?

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    They are sorted by PPs per game guys, not by year.
    Oh, got it. Very interesting then.

Comment

• Re: Boston College Hockey, '12-'13, Volume II: #JohnnyHockey or #GaudreaubeyBaker?

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
      The fact that BC's PPPG has gone down every single year for 14 straight years (besides the one year when it stayed level) makes me think how the game has been called has likely changed, and this may not have much to do with speed or possession. PPPG vs the NCAA avg for that year would likely better show those attributes, but I assume you have better things to do than calculate that.

Edit: Damm you sterlippo!
      hahahahhaha, hey i just ran 3 miles (that's a lot for me) and am out of sorts, sorry 'bout that!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        No surprise that this team doesn't draw as many penalties...good research. I wonder where they stand in terms of the number of penalties they take.
        Dammm you. Sorted by year. I know these things don't come out all that great on here but whatever.

PPF PPF/gm PPA PPA/gm
        1999-2000 217 5.17 235 5.60 -18
        2000-2001 246 5.72 243 5.65 3
        2001-2002 162 4.26 159 4.18 3
        2002-2003 222 5.69 187 4.79 35
        2003-2004 218 5.19 201 4.79 17
        2004-2005 256 6.4 247 6.18 9
        2005-2006 245 5.83 248 5.90 -3
        2006-2007 216 5.14 242 5.76 -26
        2007-2008 222 5.05 227 5.16 -5
        2008-2009 215 5.81 191 5.16 24
        2009-2010 212 5.05 204 4.86 8
        2010-2011 188 4.82 226 5.79 -38
        2011-2012 188 4.27 192 4.36 -4
        2012-2013 93 4.04 110 4.78 -17
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

First thanks for this, I know it sucks to format on USCHO

That 2010-11 PPA number stood out to me but looking back at the stats made sense. Gibbons had his impressive 85 (I think that was the season where at Matthews in the 3rd he took a dumb penalty to put us down 5 on 3, then came out of the box and destroyed the first person in his path and right back to the box). Both Whitneys also had exactly 60 (odd) as did Cross and Ulf JR had 72

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
            First thanks for this, I know it sucks to format on USCHO

That 2010-11 PPA number stood out to me but looking back at the stats made sense. Gibbons had his impressive 85 (I think that was the season where at Matthews in the 3rd he took a dumb penalty to put us down 5 on 3, then came out of the box and destroyed the first person in his path and right back to the box). Both Whitneys also had exactly 60 (odd) as did Cross and Ulf JR had 72
            Yes, that team had the biggest per game variance of PPF and PPA. This year's team was 2nd I believe (so far).

That team was a machine and had loads of talent everywhere. I just chalk it up to that team getting bored before going trophy hunting.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Most talented team in this recent title run IMO

BTW Wisconsin is coming east next year, 1 vs us, 1 vs BU

http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/...9bb2963f4.html

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                The lack of quickness and transition (and SHGs, which could have been scored this weekend a few times but whatever) is evident. Quickness and offensive zone presence and possession usually lead to the defending team to tire and take penalties. This year's team on a per game basis is the worst in the last 14 years (as far back as I felt like going) at generating powerplay opportunities. And yes this isn't perfectly scientific.

Powerplays per game:

2004-2005 6.40
                2005-2006 5.83
                2008-2009 5.81
                2000-2001 5.72
                2002-2003 5.69
                2003-2004 5.19
                1999-2000 5.17
                2006-2007 5.14
                2007-2008 5.05
                2009-2010 5.05
                2010-2011 4.82
                2011-2012 4.27
                2001-2002 4.26
                2012-2013 4.04

Of course last year's team was near the bottom of this but steamrolled everyone. At 21.5%, it's still a nice number in spite of the slump. Partly because it was otherworldly early on. Obviously not scoring on the PP is a death blow for this team right now but if they can get another 1 to 1.5 PPs per game it could have a huge effect on the way things go.

Just something that I found interesting, really.
                Maybe they just stopped diving and drawing penalties?

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                  Most talented team in this recent title run IMO

BTW Wisconsin is coming east next year, 1 vs us, 1 vs BU

http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/...9bb2963f4.html
                  Interesting... wonder if there will be a travel partner for the Friday / Saturday night flip...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                    I think he subscribes to the Bill Belichick school of coaching (worrying only about the next opponent).
                    I would be absolutely amazed if a mathematical whiz wasn't cramming different PWR scenarios along the way for the program. Hence the winkie in my original post. Would you rather be a #1 out west or a #2 or #3 back east? I'll take a 2 or 3 in Manchester, thank you.

First priority for this team is to get healthy. I'm guessing Alber is done for the season, which really hurts because he was a great puck mover in transition. Doherty, IMO, has really been stepping it up in this regard, as has MacLeod to some extent. We need Matheson back and he's got to work on staying out of the box. This D corp is far from perfect, but there's talent there and they've got a lot of heart. There's time to straighten things out. Let's see how they progress.

Second, play well enough to stay in the hunt for the dance. This team is playing no where near the way they played in the first half. The team D back then absolutely smothered opponents. I don't for a minute think they can't return to that form. Whazzup now? Whazzup with most BC teams this time of year? Who knows, but we have been hobbled and maybe they're resting.

To think they can't turn this around is to think the first half of the season (and the 1st UNH game) was a fluke. I don't believe it was a fluke... they worked their arses off. Trophy season starts in one week. If they fail to show up, then I'll be worried.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Ahem, can I say something here?

Us Mainuhs in our never ending journey to oust Timmay from the state will, in no way, allow him to use injuries as an excuse for our usual and expected chitty play. Having said that, I would certainly think you fellas would therefore not use injuries or hangnails as an excuse to get beat by lowly Maine, or anyone else for that matter. Sorry fellas, but Timmay owns Jerry these days, and y'all need to man up and fess up to that fact.
                      Last edited by all bear; 01-28-2013, 06:09 PM.
                      sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                        I'll take a 2 or 3 in Manchester, thank you.
                        Being a half-hour from the VWA, I'll take it too :-)

I do believe the ship will be righted, and I would also rather BC had a lower seed in Manchester than a higher seed somewhere else. 'Somewhere else' often results in the debacle like we saw against Colorado College a couple years ago. A BC-UNH final at VWA would pack the place and (probably) cement that arena as a much better venue than the Centrum in Worcester.

Re: the #5 ranking...I actually expected them to drop to the 7-8 range, and they probably would have if other teams didn't also have mediocre weekends.
                        Last edited by Chris_NH; 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM.
                        Chris V
                        Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                          Being a half-hour from the VWA, I'll take it too :-)

I do believe the ship will be righted, and I would also rather BC had a lower seed in Manchester than a higher seed somewhere else. 'Somewhere else' often results in the debacle like we saw against Colorado College a couple years ago. A BC-UNH final at VWA would pack the place and (probably) cement that arena as a much better venue than the Centrum in Worcester.
                          No matter what happens this year, the Verizon is a MUCH MUCH better venue than that crap hole in Worcester. The only difference is, UNH has actually made it through Worcester the last three times they were there But for hockey venues, there's NOTHING good about The DCU cesspool

Comment

I think we'd all take Manchester or Providence over the alternatives, but going back to the beginning of the York era...

BC has to travel out west (without a bye obviously)...beats four western teams in those two years and I believe both times knocked off the #1 team in the nation...or close to it.

Beat NMU and then UND out in Madison. Following year beat Michigan State and Wisconsin out in Minneapolis. Those seasons didn't end up in titles, but still two of my favorite runs.

With the 16 team format now, I don't think BC has advanced from a western regional since those two years (albeit I think the debacle in St. Louis was the only trip).

Comment

Curious to see how Providence does hosting this year. Hope it goes well. Would like to see them in the rotation going forward. Seems like Worcester, Manchester, and Bridgeport are staples. If Providence gets in the mix, hell, even Albany is doable. I'm assuming those are all the eastern sites? Any new ones I missed?

Comment

I've always wondered why BU is named host school when the NCAAs go to Worcester. Recently, HC has (rightfully) been the host school, but BC never is or has been host in Worcester.
                                Chris V
                                Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Working...
                                X